Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  17:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was in the local reptile store trying to get a fix and spoke to the person working there and he was saying in his experience the Anery Morphs are less relaxed and more likely to bite than other colours.

Has anyone else found this? what are the friendier Morphs in your experience? Are there any other differences to be aware of, some more prone to illness or to being bad feeders etc etc

He had a beautiful little Rootbeer corn snake, but then looking on the internet it says this is a name for a corn snake hybrid?

n/a
deleted

62 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  18:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats what my local pet shop kepper said ?
Like kare says is it true ?

Corn snake
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  18:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Imo it's absolute nonsense!! Morphs are different colours, and that's where the differences end.

There is talk of blizzards being nippy, but its not been proven.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  18:37:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

come meet our zero.. put your hand in his faun and it ends up looking like a pin cushion with all the little needle marks he leaves on you!
its rubbish to say that one morph is worse than the other in terms of behaviour..its all down to the snake although i will admit that our zero (blizzard) is a nippy little so n so.. and i think someone else on here said that their blizzards were rather snappy as youngsters

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  18:39:20  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Imo it's absolute nonsense!! Morphs are different colours, and that's where the differences end.

As far as i am aware this true, but on the other hand Casper used to be really Nippy as did my brothers Ghost hense the name Strike.

Kare, Sam if you are wondering why i bought ghosts into it well

Ghost = Anery + Hypo

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

morph2010
Egg

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  20:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Anery tried to bite me last night when i had him out, i went to pick him up to put back in his viv he wrapped himself round my arm and went to strike at my fingers!!

Mind you he has been a well mannered snakey think he was abit grumpy as he only shed a few days ago

1 Harley, Anery corn (not sure on age!)
1 Amber, Mad as a hatter springer 7yrs
8 ft fish tanks loads of fishys
1 Bobby, Cat 2yrs

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  23:23:56  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i've never heard of anerys being especially grumpy, but I have heard quite a few reports of blizzards and sunkissed being a bit nippier.
My nastiest corn is an ultramel, and his siblings (ultramel anery) still owned by the breeder are equally as grumpy so maybe its something to do with the line they come from?

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  01:04:51  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My anery is a bit grumpier than the rest, but she had a hard second year of her life and she's been weird since.
My snow allegedly used to be a grumpy old fart but since I've had him he's not been an issue.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  02:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no idea about specific morphs, so can only talk about my experience with my 2 snakes. I have only had both as adults (so they have come with history) which means that I dont have any experience with handling hatchlings.

Kellog is a ghost and is the softest, most cuddly snake around. He came from a loving home that was heartbroken to get rid of him.

Silvesta is an anery and came from a home where the owner was scared to handle him and only handled him with a glove a couple of times a week. He was feisty and struck out as the owner took him out of the viv to show him to us. I took him from the owner with my bare hands, and although he was still a handful he didnt strike out at me and soon calmed down. I have had him since December and he is a different snake. He is still fast and will escape given half the chance, but he is wonderful to handle and has just started to climb my body and relax around my neck.

It may be that certain morphs have a tendency towards certain characteristics....Eeji is an experienced keeper and breeder and someone whose knowledge is to be respected. But I think a lot more is down to the handling of the snake and the confidence of the owner.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  07:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its rubbish, I have 3 anerys a ghost and an ultramel anery, all are good as gold, the only biters I have are a boa that hates me and a cali who is the twitchiest snake I have ever met!

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  09:01:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My ghost is a soppy old git, my amel is the narkiest! and the miami!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  10:21:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my amel is as daft as a brush!!!

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  11:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going with my husband to a reasonably local garden centre to look and see which snake is the snake purely on personality.
The guy says he will most likely not allow us to buy on the day, which IMO is a great sign

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  11:43:01  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's the morph that makes a snake grumpy - just it's natural instincts and experiences.

When we went to buy Casper we picked up his sister first. She was jumpy, nippy and musked Lewy, yet Casper is soft as a brush. This shows that not even close family excert similar characteristics in snakes, so it would be a bit of a lop-sided view if you wrote off all anerys as nippy- judge each snake individualy by it's own character and not what colour it is

Go to Top of Page

Paul Hume
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  13:46:09  Show Profile  Visit Paul Hume's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My Caro is a friendly as anything but my snow and amel are less sociable, they have never been aggressive or tried to bite or anything they just dont seem to like comming out although they tolerate it and calm down after a little while of being out.

Like all others have said before I think just like people they are all different. You cant tell what a person is like just because of the colour of their skin and likewise for snakes.

Our House:
2 x Carolina Corns
1 x Snow Corn
1 x Amel Corn
1 x Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  15:23:48  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hume

My Caro is a friendly as anything but my snow and amel are less sociable, they have never been aggressive or tried to bite or anything they just dont seem to like comming out although they tolerate it and calm down after a little while of being out.

Like all others have said before I think just like people they are all different. You cant tell what a person is like just because of the colour of their skin and likewise for snakes.

All my snakes are as calm as anything now and seem to enjoy spending time out of the viv.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Azzheasman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
193 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  16:32:03  Show Profile  Click to see Azzheasman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

lmao pretty sure a blizzard will be nippy lol

nippy.blizzard.cold?.anyone?

sorry slow day at work

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  19:41:08  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azzheasman

lmao pretty sure a blizzard will be nippy lol

nippy.blizzard.cold?.anyone?

sorry slow day at work

lol, thats terrible!

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  21:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had my Anery (LegLess) for 11 years and have never been bit, struck at and she's never shown any sign of agression... so IMO the OP's bit about Anery's is not true.

Can't comment about blizzards. My carolina is just as non-agressive as LegLess, if anything he is a little less relaxed than LegLess.

Typical nature vs. nurture debate. I think their behaviour is down to how they are raised. Also I think other variables like the handler's confidence, their environment (exposed vivs make them feel more vunarable) and how often they get handled (without over- handling) comes into it too.

At the end of the day IMO you won't find an easier species of snake to keep than a corn. And if you do get bit, they won't hurt and if they do it is usually a response to something.

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 04/03/2010 21:07:10
Go to Top of Page

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  22:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bengy_s

so IMO the OP's bit about Anery's is not true.

Wasnt really my bit, just what I was told by one bloke. I will not be using their store anyway as although they took time to speak to me the cost of their snakes was shockingly high.

Added to the fact guy there has been quite off with me a few months ago when I asked him about a lizard I had considered in the past because I couldnt remember the name....and because I couldnt remember the name I obviously had not read up on the animal before hand which seemed to make him think I was wasting his time.

I did come straight here and ask doubting what I was told, mainly because I felt if it were true someone here would have mentioned it to me, as an obviously first time handler, getting my first snake, when I said I liked the look of the Anerys.

Edited by - Kare on 04/03/2010 22:46:31
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  03:54:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kare

quote:
Originally posted by bengy_s

so IMO the OP's bit about Anery's is not true.

Wasnt really my bit, just what I was told by one bloke. I will not be using their store anyway as although they took time to speak to me the cost of their snakes was shockingly high......
I did come straight here and ask doubting what I was told, mainly because I felt if it were true someone here would have mentioned it to me, as an obviously first time handler, getting my first snake, when I said I liked the look of the Anerys.

You did the right thing asking, a lot of us have found that pet shop advice is very dodgy and we immediately check what we have been told on here - and you certainly sparked an interesting discussion !!

I do hope that you havent been put off any morph of corn because of what you were told....it sounds as though you havent and you have come to realise that the guy in that pet shop talks ****!!

Go for what you love the look of....and the rest is down to you!

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000