New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

danbaylis35
Hatchling

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  16:24:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just wanted to know why my snake is going in to the water bowl for a bath for about half hour every day any ideas?

mr.chunky (amel),ssssssteve (western hognose),Cruela (dwarf boa)

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  16:36:26  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Some snakes like to curl up in there water bowl, but there could also be other reasons such as temperatures being too high or mites.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  16:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some snakes just do that but as danny said you should look at your temps and give it a good check over for mites (has it gone blue it may be shedding)

0.0.1 Carolina Corn (Milo)
1.1.0 Staffys (Harley&Penny)
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  16:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As above really, or you might just have a snake that loves to have a regular bath!
Either way, have a good check for mites and check your temps, if its fairly regular then I doubt either of the above, but you never know.
Its never a good idea to let the snake sit in the waterbowl for extended periods, the continual dampness can cause problems like scale rot, respiratory infections and mouth rot, none of these are very nice. Have a good gander and let us know.

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  17:11:32  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As the other guys have said check temps and stuff, but it could also be simply preparing itself to shed.
Have you got a photo of your set-up to hand?

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

danbaylis35
Hatchling

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  21:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
shed only 2weeks ago,no pics of set up yet will get some asap temps are fine...can they randomly get mites?

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  03:08:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danbaylis35

.......temps are fine...can they randomly get mites?

You say that temps are fine, what are they? (not that I am doubting you but just want to double check )

As far as I know snakes cant just randomly get mites but I THINK I have heard about them coming in if you have a new substrate, or if you have handled another snake recently that had them.... Once your snake has been in the water bowl check to see if there are any black floating bits in it? They will be the mites. Also run the snake through your hands holding damp kitchen roll, again check for black bits and also red spots, which would be blood.

This link may help regarding info about mites - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3651

I certainly agree with Mike about the fact that the snake being in the water bowl for extended periods of time is not good for its health. Maybe it is worthwhile changing the waterbowl to one that is only big enough for it to drink from while you try to sort out what is going on???

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 03/03/2010 03:10:12
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  08:00:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is very unlikely for snake mites to come in on bedding, usually the bedding comes from a factory that has no connection to snakes at all, and is only prepared in a way that's suitable for them. Snake mites are specific to snakes, and will die if they can't feed regularly. Mites generally only come from other snakes, and those that are imported as they are not native to this country, that said, they are so prolific that they may aswell be, but only really in a captive environment.

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  13:04:19  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My snow had a thing for water he would go in the water bowl at 5.30am and spend his time in there until around 6.45am he would do this every day i checked him for mites he was clean and temps was also fine.

I then changed his water bowl to this below and he no longer goes in his water bowl every morning he only goes in it before a shedd and to drink out of it.

If you do think your corn has mites it may be best to look at the bottom of the water dish for any black or red dots as this is a sign that he/she is drowning the mites in the water bowl.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  13:39:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with what everyone has said. If I leave the exo-tera moisture cave in her viv, Snickers never comes out of it. It's as though she loves her warm soaking bath. She doesn't go in her open water bowl though, but it possible that your's likes the swim.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  13:56:28  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by godzchild9

I agree with what everyone has said. If I leave the exo-tera moisture cave in her viv, Snickers never comes out of it. It's as though she loves her warm soaking bath. She doesn't go in her open water bowl though, but it possible that your's likes the swim.

2 of my 3 are constantly in there exo terra snake caves, wether there is damp moss or aspen in there.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

danbaylis35
Hatchling

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  22:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers for the help guys no sign of mites :D hasnt been in for a few days so maybe just fancied going for a dip lol

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000