Shedding advice please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2010 :  09:55:43  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Ok Colin shed during the night (at last) The skin seems to have split in half so it has come off in two pieces. I should add that the back half of the shed was caught under a hide so I think that is why it has split. In the time I have had him he has shed twice and both times it was a perfect shed. I have checked him over and everything is fine except there is a tiny piece of skin stuck to his face between his eye and nose. I have tried bathing him, his first ever bath, (not impressed) and it seemed to make the piece of skin softer and he tried rubbing it off on the side of the tub but alas its stayed on. Is this something he will get off himself?
I intend to keep bathing him every hour or so (Unless he gets it off himself) Is this wise? I cant assist him because of where the skin is and he wont keep still long enough.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2010 :  10:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bathing every hour will be incredibly stressful, please don't!

I would provide him with a damp hide and leave him be for a while- as long as the skin isn't restricting the blood flow I wouldn't be too concerned. The damp hide should soften the skin and you may find he either gets it off himself or it comes off with a gentle rub from a finger or cotton bud.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2010 :  11:18:43  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah sorry I was a tad concerned about it and was worried that bathing him every hour would be stressfull hense why I asked but having spoken to my rep dealer I have put in a damp hide already and left him too it. He told me to keep checking him but he should just get it off by himself. Its still early days as he has only just shed anyway and its only a tiny piece of skin right by his nose so its in a perfect rubbing spot anyway but thanks for the advice SB.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2010 :  14:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my edison had a piece of retained shed right in the same place as your colin..i tried really hard to sort it out but i ended up leaving it and it came off with his next shed, i know it wasnt the ideal thing to do but it was stressing me out just as much as much as it was him

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2010 :  15:01:50  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I may end up doing the same hannah. I tried this morning to help him out and to be fair it turned into a battle of man versus snake so I gave up in the end. He wont sit still long enough for me to do anything about it to be honest. I am going to feed him tonight so if it hasnt sorted iteself out in a few days time I may have another go but I am hoping he has sorted it himself by then.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2010 :  15:06:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tbh it sounds like you are more stressed by it than he is, so just relax and see what happens.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2010 :  15:17:54  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
LOL SB Colin is fine. In fact its been a while since i seen him so alert and blatently looking for food. He was in blue a long time this time round about ten days during which I havent seen him much and TBH I left him too it as i didnt want to stress him out by handling him when he was feeling more vulnerable. Today since he shed he been out and about loads and is currently sat in a hide with his head poking out surveying the world and no doubt waiting for the dinner gong.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2010 :  18:16:11  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just saw him sticking his head out and peering through the front glass of the viv and it looks like its nearly off now and is hanging down like a flap so I dont think it will be long before he has it off..phew..thanks for all the advice though.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000