viv locks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  23:28:25  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As most of you know i put Alice in his new viv this week. He loves it by the way. Anyway, i had bought a lock for it but it wont fit. The panes of glass are pretty close together, probably only a couple of millimeteres apart and altho i could slide the long metal bit between them just, the bit where the clamp is wouldn't go on. So I thought I would find out what you guys have got. I wouldn't have worried so much but Alice was sliding about all over the doors tonight, i think he could sense the air between the gap even tho he could never fit through. I'm worried in case he manages to slide the doors open. And at the moment i can't assure people he wont get out wen they come to visit lol.

This is my Viv http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=231&ProductGroupID=131

Anyone know where i can get a lock to fit it please

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  23:33:33  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is it a straight lock or does it have a curve in the metal?
Me and hannahb had this issue when we bought a viv from 888 and a lock from them that turned out to be curved... A few minutes and a big set of pliers later the lock fits.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  23:48:34  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As Lucifer said, if it's the curve issue, then pliers or vice will sort it.

However it could also be that the end that sticks out from between the panes that you have to slide to lock mechanism onto is so close to the glass that you can't actually slide the lock section on, is that the issue?

If so, then just get a small butter knife or similar (non-sharp one) and slip that between the exposed section of the lock slider and tweak it out a bit enough to put the lock section on.
That's what I had to do on one of my vivs.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  02:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cant help you with fitting the lock, but this link may help you stop Alice escaping while you sort out the problem - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6641&SearchTerms=cardboard

xxx

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  07:53:15  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. Yeah it is the curve that is the problem. I will dig my pliers out and see if I can sort it. At the moment I have blue tack stopping one side being opened. the other side is so stiff even I have trouble opening it. The fit of the glass in the runners that side is very snug.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  08:56:12  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i use rubber wedges under a quid each

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  09:36:20  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
yep same here with the curved viv lock. VIce sorted mine out. Before that I used rubber wedges also

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000