What do you think? (update on Xena)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  13:42:43  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As some of you that have been following my threads will know I rescued Xena and after having done so have housed her inside an RUB inside a 24x12" viv.
Well...
The other night stupid steve didnt fit the lid of the rub on properly and she escaped into the viv. Fortuneatly I saw her do it and instead of scooping her up and putting her back in decided to watch her and see what she did. Basically she spent about 20 mins snooping around checking the viv out and eventually showing no signs of nerves or anything.
So..a couple of days later I deliberately did it again and this time she did the same but ended up settling in the warm hide in the viv. So I left her and propped open the lid of the rub so she could go back in there if she wanted too.
Thing is since doing that as soon as I put her back in the rub she slithers out and settles in one of the hides in the viv (cold and warm equally)
Does this mnean she is ready for the viv and should I remove the rub as she isnt using it now more?

any ideas?

Incidently for those of you who are wondering she is roughly eight months old but didnt feed till she was 7 months old so she is 13" long and underweight (though she putting it back on nicely)

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  13:49:37  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Also (I would have added this as an edit but it wouldnt let me) Its worth noting that before I got her she was in a much bigger RUB (at least 36"x18" with two other corns so maybe she is already "used too" bigger spaces I dunno

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  15:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like she has taken to the new viv already mate.

If she seems happy then i dont see a problem. Try it and see how she goes.

This is what im going to do in a few weeks.

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  15:31:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If she seems happy enough in the viv then great, but I would leave the RUB inside the faun, easily accesible, just in case.

There will be no harm in leaving it in, plus you don't wanna risk stress related problems just when she is getting so good at feeding

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  15:59:36  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
true enough SB another few days wont hurt to be sure

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  20:57:44  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well after a few days xena is now settled into her viv and tonight she affirmed she is happy with her lot by gobbling two pinks and looking for a third no less. I think its safe to say the new house has gone down a treat and she is happy and as she hasnt used the rub for three days now I think its safe to remove it and let her get on with her new "big house". She has come on leaps and bounds since I have had her and its now i think safe to say she is now fully recovered. Thanks to everyone who's knowledge I borrowed to bring her back from near death. Also I would recommend using this method of introducing a snake to a bigger viv by placing the rub in the viv and leaving the lid ajar it has worked wonders for me.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  03:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elament

Well after a few days xena is now settled into her viv and tonight she affirmed she is happy with her lot by gobbling two pinks and looking for a third no less. .......She has come on leaps and bounds since I have had her and its now i think safe to say she is now fully recovered. Thanks to everyone who's knowledge I borrowed to bring her back from near death......

It is such good news to hear that Xena is settling in so well, not only into her new viv but also with you. It is great to be kept updated about her and it is also very reassuring to those who have taken on problem snakes (like SB with Crockett) that it can be turned around and there is light at the end of the tunnel !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  08:01:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well done Steve and Xena you have taken your time and not pushed her and she is rewarding you know by being and showing how happy and content she is with you. Look forward to some new pics of her in her new home.

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  10:14:13  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I think what has been the turning point was when she came to me and got out of an enviroment with two other snakes. The man who had her before me was so adamant that all the snakes were curled up together and xena would follow another one around that he had me worried about seperation anxiety but it couldnt have been further from the truth. Since she has been in her own enviroment her confidence has bloomed, her feeding has come on leaps and bounds and she is now a brighter happier snake. She is a lot more alert and switched on and I am prepared to risk saying defo out of the woods now.
Thanks again everyone for all the help and good wishes. I really couldnt have done it without this group you guys have kept me sane lol

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000