Increasing prey size
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  19:33:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, I gotta question you guys. I've noticed that last couple of weeks that Snickers has increased in width size, so should I buy several fuzzies and a couple of small mice and just give her one small mouse to try her out? Should I move her up to three fuzzies? She's already eating two per week. I've been wondering...

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  19:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sound right to me I have just moved up to fuzzys with one of mine and she took it no problem. Before that she was taking two large pinks.

Rich.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  19:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if your rep shop has 'hoppers' in then maybe try her with one of them.. they are the mid way point between fuzzies and small mice and she may find it easier to be on them for a few feeds rather than jumping straight up to small mice - my mont is going to be moving up to hoppers soon

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  19:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Small mice is the next step they have after fuzzies. The Germans have strange names... speckmaus (large pinkies), springermaus (7g fuzzies), and I can't remember the next name up, but when I saw it it looked larger than the fuzzy and to me it looked like a small mouse. I don't know what they call hoppers here...I was thinking springermaus was a hopper, but the weight isn't right. That's why I really don't quite know what to do. [quote]Originally posted by HannahB

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  04:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As they have different names in Germany to what we have here then maybe you could go by the weight of the 'prey' rather than the name....get them to weigh each fuzzy or whatever and choose the weight you want. I know it seems like a hassle but it would certainly put your mind at rest. This is the VERY ROUGH GUIDE used to aid in feeding, but for you it may be most useful as it shows the approx weight of each size of 'prey':

Mouse size/feeding guide:

1 Pinkie: 1 to 5 days old (0.5 - 3g) - feed every 5 to 6 days (Snake = 4-15g)
2 Pinkies (3-4g) – feed every 5 to 6 days (Snake = 16-23g)
Small Fuzzy: 6 to 13 days old (3 - 6g) – feed every 6 to 7 days (Snake = 24-30g)
Fuzzy (7-9g) – feed every 6 to 7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
Fluff/Hoppers: 2 to 3 weeks old (7-12g) - feed every 6 to 7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
Small Adult/Weaned: 3 to 4 weeks old (13-18g) - feed every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
Large: 4 to 6 weeks (19 to 25g) – feed every 7 to x days (snake = 170g+)
X large: 6 months + old (350 +) – feed every 10 to x days (Snake = 170+)

Hope it is of some use.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 10/02/2010 04:06:26
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  16:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, I've got a copy of the chart on top of my viv. Thanks though. I'd not thought of weighing the prey item at the store. My scale is small enough to take with me.Thanks for the idea.[quote]Originally posted by Kellog

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  20:22:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tbh I dont weigh prey items, or go by the weight of the snake as to what to feed- never have, doubt I ever will.

The keeper knows there own snake the best, if you go with your gut instinct about what your particular individual needs then you cant go far wrong.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  23:07:57  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Kellog am just wondering is the large and extra large mouse both for snakes at 170 + grams a choice for the keeper to feed?

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  23:16:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newsnakekeeper

Kellog am just wondering is the large and extra large mouse both for snakes at 170 + grams a choice for the keeper to feed?

yes, but the size of your snake would determine what size mouse you feed.

Edited by - gmac on 10/02/2010 23:22:59
Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  23:37:56  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

quote:

yes, but the size of your snake would determine what size mouse you feed.

gmac would that be the length of the snake u refering to or the width of the snake? Sorry for asking wat may be a simple question.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  17:14:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the width of your snake plus another half of the width at the thickest part is what I've been told concerning the prey size.
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by gmac

gmac would that be the length of the snake u refering to or the width of the snake? Sorry for asking wat may be a simple question.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  13:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to purchase the next size up. There was no way to weigh them. They come in packages. I compared the *mittel maus* to the *springer maus*. The width looked similar, but the length was where the increase was noted. I bought four to try. Snickers took it and now I'm waiting to see if it stays down.There was really no larger of a lump than when she ate the two springers. The one I gave her that I weighed was 13 grams compared to the 7 grams that she'd been eating.I think we've been promoted.
quote:
Originally posted by godzchild9

ok, I gotta question you guys. I've noticed that last couple of weeks that Snickers has increased in width size, so should I buy several fuzzies and a couple of small mice and just give her one small mouse to try her out? Should I move her up to three fuzzies? She's already eating two per week. I've been wondering...

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  15:43:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you got sorted, I don't weigh food either, and until they get to breeding size I don't weigh them either, no point really. Try not to jump up food sizes too quick, a lot of times this can lead to regurge due to too large a food in belly and not being able to move properly or comfortably. Obviously this does vary with each snake, I have an ultra who is a 2 1/2 ft but won't hold down a very small mouse! On the other hand I had a 20 inch boa who ate 6 large small mice, she rolled around the viv after that!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  22:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was what I was worried about, but when I noticed that the width was not much different than the fuzzy I wasn't too concerned. She's been taking two fuzzies a week for a couple of months. She went immediately into hiding and no regurge yet, so I'm hoping we're ok. She is about 33 inches long so the length is ok, but I think I'm going to keep her at one (13g)mouse a week for a while although she does have one more fuzzy left. I might drop that on her and make it a short feed one week. [quote]Originally posted by mikerichards

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2010 :  02:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you have done the right thing for Snickers, which is what is most important. As far as I know (and I am no expert) the length of the 'prey' is not what is important, it is the width and you have taken that into account. I do hope she will be fine, I will be surprised if she isnt.

One mouse a week sounds about right for her size...you just need to keep her on that while she puts on more weight and is finally ready for the next size up. Mike is right in what he says about not upping her feeds too quickly...we want our snakes to grow but they need time to adjust to the new 'prey' size - both their jaws/mouths and their stomachs.

But, as SB said earlier, you know Snickers best and so go with your gut instincts (its just good to check with us on here as well ).

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2010 :  14:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys have really been great! I appreciate all the information.As long as she seems content I'll keep her on her present amount and size. She was beginning to look for a third fuzzy, so that was part of the reason I thought I'd try her on a small mouse. It's been twentyfour hours and no regurge, so I think she'll be ok.Thanks again for all your help.She's gone from 73 gms in Nov at 31 1/2 inches long to 107.7 gms at 33 inches this week since putting her on your diet plan.[quote]Originally posted by Kellog

Edited by - n/a on 13/02/2010 14:23:52
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2010 :  14:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad its working out for ya.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/