New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tony81
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  18:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my corn steve dosent seem to want to cume out the viv . i put my hand in he will taste the air and zip off to the other side of the viv . i always use the same soap put my hand in in the same way so he knows im there, . to be honest im a bit of a wimp when handling him he is very very fast! he was given to me as a present so still getting used to holding a snake myself...is it just me ?? i have always been fascinated with snakes so know a bit about them...but not a clue how to handle them best. so any help or advice on ways to handle him (get him out viv ect) and enjoy having him out and make it all stress free for steve would be much appreciated ive had him 8weeks he is 20-21 inch long he eats,drinks,sheads fine quite active temps are good viv has plants hides both ends and he seams very happy till i go to get him out. please help!!!!

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  18:39:29  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thats what cornsnakes do - you need to be confident and get a hold of him without having to chase him around

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  20:10:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I gave up on the stress free come out when ya want stuff. Either way he will get stressed.

I took out the plants so he could'nt wrap round them at first. Then put them back in once he was ok with being handled (1-2 weeks for mine).

If you go to get him get him. Dont want him thinking that if he runs (slithers) away he will get off with it.

Confidence is all I recon. Go on get in there! you know ya want too:)

And best to handle over a bed/couch at first incase they fall.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  04:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Checkout this topic as it might be of some help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8260

The main thing is slow, patient and confident movements - if you dont feel confident then fake it until you do! Steve will pick up on your nervousness and react to it. You have to be in control.

To be honest, you havent even had him 2 months yet and he is still only little, so it is natural behaviour - you just need to get used to him and he just needs to get used to you.

How big is your viv? If it is too big for him he may be stressed and it is certainly harder to find them and catch them when they have more area to hide in!

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 09/02/2010 04:55:39
Go to Top of Page

tony81
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  17:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for advice peeps . He is still in his starter kit viv 16inch by 10inch he is cuming in to shed now so we see how we get on when he is done . dose the 7day rule still apply when i move him to a bigger viv ?
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  19:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you move some of the substrate hes been on with him and all the same stuff then you can leave him for 3-4 days rather than a full week
like others have said though with regards to handling..it really is a case of biting the bullet and going for it...if he tags you he tags you..worse you will get is a teeny tiny puncture mark that tbh you probably wont even notice he'll settle down soon enough - at that age though everything is potentially a predator and so his natural reaction is to run/slither away as fast as possible.. when you do pick him up just be gentle and remember not to grab him too tight..if it makes you feel better then maybe hold him still inside his faun - that way if he does shoot off he'll land safely in a confined space,
just takes time and a bit of patience but he'll get used to you soon

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  19:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snickers has never shown an interest in being touched. She doesn't try to escape once I've got her in my hand, but getting her there is a bit of work sometimes. I always make sure that I'm slow and gentle once I've got a hold on her. I learned that from the guys here and never pull her backwards through the decorations. If she is coiled i grab the whole coil a take her out at once. If not then I gently work to bring her out frontwards, but no... I can't say that it is ever her choice to come out of the viv.[quote]Originally posted by tony81

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000