viv idea, wanna see what folk think
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

59 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  14:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey guys. Just had an idea a few days ago which i might go through with, wanna see what the experts think tho ;p.
i have a 4ft viv atm for my snake and is sittin on a shelf in my room. My idea was to buy an identical viv and sit it on top, make a hole straigh through both and making a walkway between vivs. On the top viv i was thinking about another snake, so in a way they are living together but both have there own viv. if any problems to occur i can just buy a thin bit of plywood to cover the hole anyway...just an idea, i know snakes livin together can be bad news but if they have there own space it might not be so bad. Tell me what you think.
Ross X

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  15:03:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO I still do not see why you would want to? The usual reason is "I don't have enough room to seperate" or "I can't afford it at the moment". As you already have said you're perfectly happy to buy another set up so there is no reason why they can't have their own space.

They are not sociable and they would only come together for breeding in the wild. Some snakes are kept together and as you mentioned you can seperate them at a moments notice...... But why would you want to if they can have a nice viv set up all to themselves?

And you'll be ruining a perfectly good viv. Scratch that- TWO perfectly good vivs!

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  15:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bengy_s

IMO I still do not see why you would want to? The usual reason is "I don't have enough room to seperate" or "I can't afford it at the moment". As you already have said you're perfectly happy to buy another set up so there is no reason why they can't have their own space.

They are not sociable and they would only come together for breeding in the wild. Some snakes are kept together and as you mentioned you can seperate them at a moments notice...... But why would you want to if they can have a nice viv set up all to themselves?

And you'll be ruining a perfectly good viv. Scratch that- TWO perfectly good vivs!

100% second this.

If you have 2 separate set-ups which will allow 2 snakes to live on their own, why make it possible for the snakes to invade each other territory?

Seriously, just leave 'em alone for the sake of your snakes.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

59 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  15:13:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have the money and space thats not a problem, was just an idea i had and thought id ask the experts. thanks guys
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  15:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
100% triple this!

I cant see an advantage at all, but there are many disadvantages.

Snakes are solitary animals, if you've got enough space for 2 snakes in 2 vivs then it seems silly making them share.

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  15:23:43  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
yep defo agree whats the point if you already have two vivs.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  18:44:38  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yup, definetly leave them seperate. plus if you leave them seperate, you will be able to have 2 different species if you fancy something different :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  21:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ross eeji has given a good idea there. You could get a nice little collection of snakes.

You're lucky to have the space (& money) so I'd be straight in there with that if it was me!

Have you looked at the sister sites to this i.e. theroyalpython.co.uk or thekingsnake.co.uk or even thehognose.co.uk. Use the links at the top for a direct....link!

Sorry if my post seemed strong, its just that most of the members here strongly advise against co-habiting (hence the sticky on the general section) and try to stop it before it happens! Or enourage as best we can to get owners that do co-habit to seperate, or at the very least have a setup ready to split. (though i'd still wonder if they had an empty viv spare why they wouldn't just split anyway).

Anyway check the other sites out and let us know what you think!

1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

59 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  01:48:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tbh a king snake would be nice...was my 2nd choice after my corn. The more I read it he more it seems like a stupid idea, can't believe I even thought of it now *slaps self* but i have space and money coming in to spare so it would be nice for a second one. If u forgive me being daft I shall look into it and get back with results!
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  04:01:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No forgiveness needed for being daft Ross! You did the right thing in that you had an idea and you ran it past here first, before you went ahead and did it!

I can understand why you thought it was a good idea at first, cos you want to give your snakes as interesting an environment and as much space as possible....but as the others have said, and you know really, it is not what snakes would do in the wild and therefore we shouldn't force them to endure it in captivity.

But I certainly like the idea of you getting another viv with another snake (although I am a corn woman through and through )!! It is great that you are doing your research before getting into a new type of snake....but then you know that you would have got a severe lecture from here if you didnt do your research first !! Lol!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  12:02:05  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh please people if I ever start talking bout another snake someone tell me off. I darent start looking at kings and pythons I came over all broody after meeting my mates royal. We ended up with Xena instead (my other corn) which was fine because she was a rescue but two vivs is enough!

Edit I have banned meself from ians viv that is a crule crule site.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 09/02/2010 12:02:58
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  16:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kings are cool and there are many different morphs to choose as well!

Good luck and you're the envy of most of us here in that you have the space for more! I have the space (just) and want another snake..... its convincing the girl friend!

1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  16:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SGrossyboi

Tbh a king snake would be nice...was my 2nd choice after my corn. The more I read it he more it seems like a stupid idea, can't believe I even thought of it now *slaps self* but i have space and money coming in to spare so it would be nice for a second one. If u forgive me being daft I shall look into it and get back with results!

kings are great
my king is always out and about burrowing and generally messing up his viv on a daily basis!!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000