New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jbarnes92
Egg

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  18:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all hope you and your snakes are well! I've had asuka for 11 days and she's settled in well, she not shy at all and seems to enjoy being handled, now on to the subject, her eyes went cloudy with a tint of blue yesterday and I checked on her 30 mins ago and her nose is going a bit colourless.. Which means it's her first shed!
is there anything I need to give her? (except room and plenty of clean water)
plus.. The tip of her tail has been grey and slightly colourless for the last 4-5 days, is this normal before the shed?
And lastly how long does a shed usually take after the eyes go blue
many thanks,
Josh

Lowestoft, Suffolk

Hunter - Jungle Carpet Python
3 Corn Snakes
Murphy - Black Labrador [ R.I.P ;( ]
Meg - Black Labrador
Rhea - Sprocker Spaniel
Jack - Rotty / Labrador
Trigger - Tabby Cat

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  21:13:01  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
their eyes go blue, clear again after a few days then they usually shed within a week. until they've actually shed their eyesight is poor so handling should be kept to a bare neccessity

and no other particular requirements, if you're expecting a poor shed (from experience of the previous shed not being great) then you can do something about it but i'd just sit tight and see what happens this time as the vast majority of corns shed un-aided

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 08/02/2010 21:14:31
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  21:16:36  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Some morphs show blue better than others. If your snake has gone into Preecdysis then she prob not want to be messed with as she will be partially blind and may be more defensive than normal. You may also notice she will go off her food (some do some dont). To be honest mine go noticably paler across the whole of the body (not just the nose or the tip of the tail) but some of the more experienced keepers may have noticed this and they will prob comment also. Eventually her eyes and colour will go clear again and shortly after that she will shed. Do you have any shedding records or any indication how well she has shed in the past? I rearrange the vivs with mine when they are in shed so they can move between hides under cover as they are feeling more vulnerable at this time.

Hope it goes well for you

steve

Edit: Sorry for the echo GP i answered as you were posting

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 08/02/2010 21:17:38
Go to Top of Page

jbarnes92
Egg

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  22:14:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No I don't have any records unfortunately :/ and I'm pretty new to snake keeping, I take it it's not a good idea to feed her as I feed her out of her faun and it's feed day tommorow..?

Lowestoft, Suffolk

Hunter - Jungle Carpet Python
3 Corn Snakes
Murphy - Black Labrador [ R.I.P ;( ]
Meg - Black Labrador
Rhea - Sprocker Spaniel
Jack - Rotty / Labrador
Trigger - Tabby Cat
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  22:23:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd skip a feed, although whether you offer is really down to you and whether she eats is ultimately up to her! lol

i prefer the more natural approach of missing a feed - in the wild they'd just hole-up somewhere safe while they're in blue then go find food once it's all over and they've shed

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  10:02:52  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
if you feed out of the faun defo skip the next feed. The last thing she will want is to be messed with. Had your snake been a viv feeder I would have said leave a prey item out overnight and let her choose. If you can increase the viv cover so she can move from hide to hide under cover then do so she will appreciate the feeling of being "closed in" As GP rightly said the vast majority of corns shed un-aided so you dont need to do anything but you could if you are concerned raise the humidity of the viv slightly by putting a large water bowl over the heatmat. Note: if you do this make sure you provide another water bowl up the cold end of the viv so your snake is not forced to drink warm water. You may find that when your snake has shed she will be hungry (my two always are) so feed her then.

CHeers

Steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 09/02/2010 10:03:21
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: