New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kevgerb46
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  12:06:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive had my corn for 14 days and he still wont come out of his tank, ive been told not to take him out if he doesent want to cause that will make him worse.. have i just got to be patient or is there another way of getting him out.. by the way he is eating and drinking fine...help please.

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  12:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taking him out of his viv is fine right now, as he has had 2 weeks to settle in. Normally we recommend allowing a new snake to settle for a week with no handling, but in your case this rule doesn't apply!!

Handling him certainly won't make him worse if done correctly. Remove your snake from the tank making sure you pick him up gently but confidently, and support his body well so he feels secure in your hands. Allow him to move freely through your hands and fingers, never focring him to stay still. He will soon settle once he realises you aren't as scary as he first thought!! Handle for no more than 5-10 minutes atm, a couple of days a week, but make sure not to handle for at least 48 hours after feeding.

Younger snakes will be naturally more skittish and nervous than bigger animals, but patience is key and will soon pay off.

With regard to him hiding all the time- what is his set up like? Corns are naturally very shy and appreciate surroundings where they will feel very secure- lots of hides, fake plants, covered sides (in case of a glass tank) and substrate they can burrow in. Also, many corns venture out at night, so you may just miss him when he is out exploring!!

If you let us know what his house is like, I'm sure we can give suggestions, if needed, as to how you can make your snake feel more at home. x

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  12:28:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest Kev, if you just wait for him to come out you are going to be waiting a very very long time! Corns are not used to being handled, dont really want to be and do just adjust to us handling them and then come to enjoy the time outside the viv, being able to explore etc.

But to get to that stage you do need to start getting him out of his tank. I am so glad that you have left him to settle in. That means he has had the chance to get over the stress of the move and for him to get used to the new smells and his new surroundings. By you just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, you have given him time to get used to your smell and not feel be threatened by you.

I am no expert with hatchlings as I have only dealt with adults, although one was not handled much and was ill-treated, so he was very feisty and needed 'taming' down when I got him.

I would suggest that when you go to take him out you need to do this very calmly and quietly, with no sudden movements. I always think it is a good idea to open the tank door and fiddle with his substrate, cos that warns him that you are there and it also means that you get some of his smell on you. You must then gently scoop him up using both hands and being careful to support him so he isnt dangling. You need to be aware that he may try to shoot away to escape...but you can hold him fairly firmly but gently to bring him out of the tank. Once you have him out sit with him (covering your lap with a towel is a good idea in case he decides to poo on you) and just let him run through your hands, moving one to the other to the other and so on. He will be very quick and nervous, so you must just be very calm and steady with your movements. Dont have him out for more than 5 minutes, and return him to the tank if he is showing signs of stress. As long as you do this regularly he will slowly get used to being handled and you can lengthen the amount of time you have him out and allow him to begin to explore your body and then around you...but that is a long way off. At the moment it is a case of quality not quantity. I am assuming you know not to handle him for 48 hrs after he has had a feed?

What is your tank set up? Do you have 2 hides and are the temps correct? The only reason I ask is that it is good to eliminate anything that might be stressing him, although if he is eating and drinking fine then it sounds like you have a settled snake. Now you just have to start to get to know him and allow him to get to know you.

I am sure that you will get some better advice from others who have dealt with hatchlings, but hopefully I have been able to give you a rough idea of what to do.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

kevgerb46
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  14:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanx for the tips guys, his tank is 30x11x15 have got a freeze around it, in the tank i have got 2 hides one at each end a couple of logs and a couple of plastic plants. a heat mat warms one end and there is a low wattage energy bulb the same end the temperature is a constant 82 inthe warm end and it is also a constant 70 at the cool end which i have been told is perfect for them, is that right? once i get my camera to work i will download pictures of flash and his tank. thanx again guys, any info u can give me is mint as flash is my first and i want him to be a happy corn.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  15:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How big is your snake? Hatchling, juvie, adult?

Smaller snakes like small enclosures, but big snakes don't like big enclosures! Snakes like to feel "cosy"- I have my biggest corn in a 4 footer (he is 5 foot 6 inches) and its huge!!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

kevgerb46
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  15:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my corn is an adult of around 3yrs and he's just over 4ft in length, ive got photos of his tank but dont know how to upload them

1.0 carolina corn (flash)
1.0 okeetee (cyril)
1.0 staffy (deke)
0.1 collie x (roxy)
2.0 tomcats (yoda and squeebs)
1.0 cocatiel (bird)

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  15:22:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your viv should be fine then, its always helpful to know though!!

For photos, set up a free account on Photobucket, upload your photos, then copy the IMG code into your post. Use the preview button to check they are visible.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  16:51:13  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to a guide to uploading pics...

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14&SearchTerms=posting,photos

cheers

steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  21:11:18  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd personally say the viv is on the small side using the general guide of 'length of viv + depth of viv = maximum length of snake' so your 30" + 11" = 41" for a 48" snake...............

with regards to getting him out i'd open the viv and do a spot clean or change the water or something, just so he knows you're there, then find him if he's in a hide and gently pick him up aiming for the middle third of his body then fully supporting his weight. confidence is the key, if you move your hand towards him then back away agin, then towards him again and back he'll feel quite threatened so just calmly, confidently and reasonably quickly

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  04:44:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(Sorry SB, looks like we posted at the same time! At least we agree with each other in our advice and even GP agrees!! )

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000