Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  20:20:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry... i'm completely new to snakes!
(i have got lots of lizards though)

i'd appreciate your opinions on this if its no too much trouble.
I'm thinking of getting myself a baby corn some time.
Would this be ok to house one in?
http://www.thepet-shoponline.co.uk/komodo-snake-hatchling-starter-kit-3122-p.asp
and if so, for how long about?
i was thinking of using paper towels instead of the aspen though - just in case :)

and jumping the gun a little here... would an adult corn be happy in a 5x2' wooden viv?

i'd just like to get all the info i can before i run out and buy my snake
thanks!

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  20:26:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
General rule of thumb is length of snake= length +depth of housing (viv, faun etc.) So the faun in the set should do your snake till it is 58cm long.

However, that set doesn't include a thermostat- these bits of kit are ESSENTIAL for making sure your snake doesn't get cooked. Stats cost about £20-45 depending on model.

Paper towels are always a good idea with young corns as you can easily spot parasites, poo etc.

As for adult snakes, a 3x2 viv is fine for most adults. 5 foot is BIG for a corn, my 5 foot 6 male is in a 4 footer and its huge!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  20:27:35  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well done Figs. Its nice to see someone taking the time to research the animal before purchasing it. One thing I didnt see in your kit is a thermostat you may want to consider getting one of these also I would bin the dial type thermometer in the kit and spend a few pounds more on a digital one as they are far more accurate. Also I would have a good look at the care sheet this site has as it is very informative. Other members here will guide you on the plastic faun I use vivs so I am not familiar with them. Good luck when you get your snake

steve

Edit Sorry SB for the echo you posted that while I was writing my reply

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 05/02/2010 20:28:46
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  20:33:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks guys
all of my lizards have thermostats so i know thats deffo a good idea
and i'll add a good digi themometer to the list too

i'm reading through all the care sheets i can find and i've bought myself a book called 'The Corn Snake Manual' (by Bill Love and Kathy Love) so hopefully i'll be ready! :D
Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  22:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Figs, I've got lizards too, and it definately helps towards keeping a snake from what I have read/seen/heard etc etc... but I'm still new so still listening to all the helpful folks here - sounds like you'll do great though!! :)

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  22:23:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That Kathy Love book is fantastic. Everything you'll need to know is in there, plus there's also this forum to help you out.

1.0.0 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000