Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  19:58:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks!

For those of you who have read my lengthy introduction :) you know I am planning on getting a young corn in the near future (and want to make sure everything is set before I do that).

My question here is, I want to make sure I have everything right in my head for setting up a habistat for a baby corn!

I already have an exo terra flat medium faunarium (we previously used to house locust - food for our beardie and leo). I will be getting a small (is 4w correct for this) heat mat and a mat stat too. I wonder, though, how people have their mat under a plastic faun? Am I right to think, that I could have a sheet of carboard on the wooder surface the faun will stand on, then the mat, then a gap between the mat and the faun to allow air-flow/stop the plastic from getting too hot and possibly melting?
I will then have the stat probe in the faun with a digi therm next to it (as I know from experience that stat probes aren't that accurate).

I will then use kitchen roll for the first couple of weeks to check the corns poops, and aspen after that! Then have a hide at the warm and cool end of the faun, with a water bowl too (oh and not to handle him/her for the 1st week).
I will also have a digi therm measuring the cooler end too.

Does that all sound ok for the setup folks? Any photos or info on your hatchling faunarium setups would be cool (as I don't want to use a rub, even though I know they are great to use).

Cheers :)

Jonathan

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  20:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey!
ok, im new to all this snake stuff myself, but that all sounds great. Good to see someone doing loads of research...you obviously really care about your pets!
Here's a picture of my faunarium:

Dunno if u can tell from that picture, but what ive done (and the temps are correct+constant, so it all seems ok) is put 3 cork mats (ikea ones for putting saucepans on!) underneath....that way the heat mat isnt touching the wooden shelf its on, the mats possibly insulate+prevent heat loss, and there's still a small gap (about 0.5cm) to allow air flow under the viv!

Any ideas on what morph you want to get??

1.1 Cornsnake: Fluffy and Blaze
1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa: Falcor
0.1 Bearded dragon: Chilli
1.1 Cats: Jackson and Mia
1.0 Fiance: Ade :)
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  20:08:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have my lot in fauns

i have..

heatmat on desk top with faun standing on it, the faun has little legs anyway so it stands above the mat so theres a constant airflow under.. i then have my stat probe on the mat rather than in the faun - much easier than drilling holes in the faun, i then have the faun with a temp probe in the warm end over the heatmat.. i've adjusted my stat so that it goes off when the thermometer probe is at 30, i then have a piece of kitchen towel with some aspen and paper shreddings and then each faun has at least 3 hides in - one each end and one in the middle - plus water bowl and fake plant,

i cant find the pics I had of my fauns on my new lappy unfortunately

hope this helps

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  20:22:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great, thanks for that folks! We have a similar setup in our leopard gecko's tank. We have coarboard sheet with the tank on those rubber feet that come with the mats on top of that, and then the mat on the coardboard, so something like that will be great then, Probe on the mat sounds a good idea, cheers!!

I'm not sure of morph, my fiance and I don't like (no offence) the red eyed corn morphs, I think I just like your common carolina corns, but it will all come down to the one we fall for :) as Cass (my fiance) said one of the ones we looked at 'looked at her funny,' lol! We're going 'looking' on Thurs, but i'm pressing for a purchase hehe..

What mats do you guys use for the fauns? Size/Watts etc..?

Cheers again folks, appreciate the help!

Jonathan

Ps: I like Blaze and Montana!!! :)

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(

Edited by - Fal on 02/02/2010 20:24:09
Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  20:31:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fal

I'm not sure of morph, my fiance and I don't like (no offence) the red eyed corn morphs, I think I just like your common carolina corns, but it will all come down to the one we fall for :) as Cass (my fiance) said one of the ones we looked at 'looked at her funny,' lol! We're going 'looking' on Thurs, but i'm pressing for a purchase hehe..

What mats do you guys use for the fauns? Size/Watts etc..?

Not sure on the size+wattage of my heatmatt. Thrown the packaging out, but its about the size of the base of my faunarium!
Sure you'l be able to persuade your fiance to buy one! i know when i bought blaze it was only to price up the snakes+set ups so i could start saving up....that was until i realised how cheap it was and i promptly bought it all there+then!!
I know what she means though...when i chose Blaze i looked at 3 or 4 hatchlings, then when i saw him i loved him+didnt look at any more...knew he was the one i wanted!!

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  20:38:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds right to me Tina, can't wait to look, but typically, the places we normally go (when we have always gone for things for our lizards) have always had loads of corn hatchlings, now I want one, they seem few and far between lol
I'll see what is in on Thursday, but don't want to rush anything :)

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  20:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my heatmat is 11"x11" sorry cant remember the wattage..think it might be 11? or 7 or something..

there are so many morphs out there its rediculous..i saw my mont on a breeders website and then rang the breeder (he was a member on here at one point..its how i found him) and i then decided that even though i hadnt seen him he sounded the right snake for me..
you'll find one you both like.. hey you might even come away with 2 as you cant decide on one together!!!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  20:46:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fal

Sounds right to me Tina, can't wait to look, but typically, the places we normally go (when we have always gone for things for our lizards) have always had loads of corn hatchlings, now I want one, they seem few and far between lol
I'll see what is in on Thursday, but don't want to rush anything :)

i remember when i went to get blaze, and the first snake i saw i really liked. Was a 5month old anery...gorgeous...until it struck at my hand from inside the plastic tub it was in! VERY glad i didnt get that one for my first corn snake!

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  20:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol i'm sure it'll only be one - although it's gonna be cool my bro getting a King for his house (well ours, I own half lol), so Cass and I will get a Corn, and I can still go to my bro's for the beardie, leo and a king hehe.. best of all worlds! :D

That's a nice story of how you got your mont! i like a few morphs, but the carolina seems the cheapest + I like them a lot too! So that seems the best option :)

WOW! I think if that happened to us, Cass would definately not want it, we want to hold and make sure we get a nice, friendly one lol - although we know a bite is always a risk, a nicely tempered snake is a good start to avoid that, that and proper regular handling. Hope we don't get a boystrous one like our leopard gecko, Mojo lol He thinks he owns the gaff haha..

Edited by - Fal on 02/02/2010 20:55:23
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  00:26:56  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well here's Elijah's faun, it's an Exo Terra Large Flat (182 x 12" x 7 1/2"), an ET snake cave at one end, a small ET hide, and just for some cover I put an ET Boston Fern in there as well as a small ET silk vine, hey! What can I say, I like Exo Terra, lol. I also have a make shift humid but that doesn't go in until he goes blue. The heat mat is a Komodo 6" x 11" by 7w controlled by a Habistat Mat Stat. The whole faun sits on a sheet of polystyrene, with the mat on the poly under the faun with an air gap. My stat probe is inside next to the warm hide along with the thermom probe. NOTE, if you intend to hand drill a hole in the faun lid make sure you drill it at the right end, lol. I have 2 hatches, 1 small and 1 big, I went and drilled through without thinking, so the hole is near the large hatch and this is the one I use most (to take the water bowl out) at the cool end, so I have my stat wire running the length of the faun to the warm end. So your hatchie can't escape I wrapped some paper towel around thee stat probe wire, taped it up and jammed that in the hole. The them probe is small enough to put through the holes already in the faun.
Anyway, here's some snaps, taken before the poly sheet was under it.

I also moved the snake cave to the cool end (shown in last image) and had the other ET hide in the warm end so Elijah can lay directly on the substrate which is Aspen.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

Edited by - LittleMick on 04/02/2010 00:27:47
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  03:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its Thursday Jonathan....hope you report back to us on your visit to the reptile shop, especially if you come home with something !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  13:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

First of all, sorry for the late reply, I left my laptop at work (there now), but thanks for all the great help! Wel... we went to a local place yesterday and... we got a corn!! W00h00!! Gorgeous gal she is, I will post photos asap, my bro also got a king snake - he's been going on the sister site to this. We got our fauns set up, similar to those above and were so lucky to see the store feeding our two snakes before we bought - they're strike feeding and constricting and they are so so fast!! We handled them too (before they fed them of course) and they are both so active and alert with records. Ours is 8mnths old which surprised me as she is only (approx) a foot long, I never realised how slow they grow, but she's so cute and is called Bella!

She ate yesterday as mentioned, and then pooped about 5hours later, that seemed quick to me or is that ok? The poop seemed fine and we saw her drinking too. We're not going to handle her for a week now, let her settle in - I can't wait to get home to see her again lol and get back to my bro's to see his king snake tomorrow!

Thanks again all, and keep your eyes peeled for a thread with pics :)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  20:09:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is fantastic news Jonathan!! Somehow doubted you would come away from that reptile shop empty handed !!

I am so glad you have taken on board the advice given and are leaving Bella for the week to settle in...and that you got the faun all ready for her when she came home.

She probably pooed so soon out of the stress from the move, it is not ideal to move a snake so soon after it has fed...but now you are leaving her to adjust to her new situation and de-stress she should be fine. It must have been great to have been able to handle her before you bought her and to watch her strike feed.

It is obvious how happy you are with your new 'family member' and I am sure your brother feels the same about his! It is good to hear he has been making use of the King sister site as you have of this one - well done both of you for being so prepared and caring about your snakes enough to do the research before you got them.

xxx

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  21:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kellog appreciate that a lot! She's all shy tonight and hidden under her fake plant. She's changed hides since we got home from work, so has been on the move, but I keep staring at what looks like an empty faun, willing her to explore lol (which she did last night, probably more so in the dark when we were asleep).

I can't link my camera to my laptop tonight, but will try to remember to get my cable tomorrow from my bro's, then will post away with pics of when we got her :D

Regards,
Jonathan

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000