Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  19:02:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is it normal that my snake occasionally rattles his tail?

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python
1.0.0 Tri-coloured honduran - Feta (R.I.P. my love!!!You will never be forgoten!)

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  19:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only if it feels threatened or scared.

EDIT: what are the circumstances he or she does it? i.e. when you go to pick him or her up are you doing so from above? You should be scooping him up gently from his "level". Or open the viv and let him approach you. How long have you had him or her?

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 05/02/2010 19:11:18
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  19:10:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if hes rattling his tail then hes generally telling to in not so many words to go away..
if hes doing it when feeding just leave him alone in peace to do the deed but if hes doing it when you go to handle him then just be patient.. hes probably still getting used to being handled and is hoping to scare you off..
when does he rattle it?

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  19:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hannah- Great minds!

1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  19:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i have only had him for 2 weeks and i am VERY new at this! so i should scoop him up from the bottom? and ya he is probably still getting used to me and me handling him but as soon as i pick him up he stops rattling and goes to bed in my jersey!

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python
1.0.0 Tri-coloured honduran - Feta (R.I.P. my love!!!You will never be forgoten!)

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  19:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hes probably trying to hide from you if hes going straight to hide in your jersey
did you give him a week to settle in?

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  19:33:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he doesn't go straight to my jersey he normally hangs aroung my hand and my neck and then when i sit down and watch T.V. he likes to go in to my shirt then pop his head out and watch!

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  19:40:36  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As everybody has said, hes probably just nervous, the rattling of the tail is telling you to go away and leave him alone, its a defence mechanism.

Did you give him a week to settle in?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  19:40:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there plenty of hides and artificial plants for him to feel secure in his viv? And yes its best to open the viv and approach him slowly but confidently. Or let him come out to you when you opened it as I said.

1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  20:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok cool and he has plenty of hide and artificial plants.

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  07:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saracen is nervous at being picked up. He is much more relaxed if I open the viv and then wait for him to settle for a minute before approaching, slowly put my hand near for him to smell for a bit and then pick him up from underneath with very slow movements. Try that Fernando, it might help.

Also, as a few people have already asked - when you first got your snake did you give it a whole week to settle in before trying to hold it? If the answer is no, it might be worth doing that now for both of your snakes so they can get used to all the sounds and smells around them and relax.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  10:37:36  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
What you have got to remember as I have said in another thread this morning is that snakes are not like kittens they are not and will probably never be fully domesticated and as such have to get "used to" being handled by something they would normally regard as a threat as we are so much bigger than them. Imagine if a huge big thing took the roof off your house and lifted you out once a day. For the first few times you would be terrified until you "get used" to it and regard it as normal. The same basic instinct applies to your snake and he is telling you he doesnt understand what you are and is regarding you as a threat.
Persevere and try some of the advice above and he will eventually "get used" to you. IMO not all corns are the same and some "get used" to you quicker than others so be patient it will come right in the end.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  10:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long do you handle your corn for Fernando? He should only be out for about 5 to 10 minutes as he is still a new snake to you and getting used to being handled. As has already been said, snakes dont want to be handled but will tolerate it once they have gotten used to it, but that takes a lot of time and patience and it is definitely better to do it for small period of times. I know you say he curls up and watches tv with you...but you are putting human emotion onto him, when he is probably scared and has gone still as he would if he felt under threat in the wild...having found a rock to hide under (or your jersey in this case).

I also echo what Sammysnake said about the one-week rule, because as far as I remember you didnt follow that advice. It may be necessary to do that now and I do hope you have done that with your new snake.

Be careful about treating him as a pet...he isnt one, he is a wild animal that is being brought up in captivity and we get the pleasure of enjoying watching them, feeling them when we do handle them - BUT they do only tolerate us...it is not a case of enjoying and wanting to interact with us.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  10:59:41  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ginger rattles at me when he's in his hide to tell me he wants me to leave him alone

1.0.0 Snow Motley Corn Snake. (Mouse)
1.0.0 Amel Corn Snake. (Ginger)
0.2.0 Chinese Crested Dogs. (Skeebee & Yuki)
0.1.0 Bullmastiff x American Bulldog (Tsukira)
1.1.0 Ferrets. (Spike & Buffy)
0.2.0 Aylesbury Ducks. (Crispy & Nibbles)

Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  11:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanks for the info i will do so and i have left mynew corn for a week before handling him and i will do so with my "old" corn.

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  11:16:18  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well said Kellog

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  18:56:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how do you add a picture to your signature?

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  19:03:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7346

Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  19:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks!!!!

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  19:57:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fernando, you might want to crop your pic down to size, it's huge. just takeaway the top.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  19:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000