should eat more?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sara3502
Hatchling

111 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  21:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sabutse is months old right now and his feeding time is here soon and at his widest part he is 1 and a 1/2 cm. wide. I know that is pretty skinny but when I got him he was as skinny as a pencil! Should I try to feed him more than 1 pinkie? when he eats one he is bigger but the bump looks natural as if he has just grown a little fatter.Also, is he supposed to be way fatter at this age? He has also had some weeks where he would not eat too so that could also be a reason why he is skinny. I am trying very hard to get him heavier.

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  21:51:47  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
how old/long/heavy is he? pics before and after a feed would help lots with this.

also, please don't be in too much of a hurry to get weight onto a corn unless they are obviously underweight - overfeeding can have serious effects on their health

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  22:21:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree with eeji..please dont rush into getting him fatter - he'll put on weight steadily and grow at the right rate for him..
how old is he and whats he feeding on? if you want to up his food intake maybe give him one large pinkie and a slightly smaller one after..
also pics might help to see if hes underweight or not

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  23:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another tip I found useful is if he eats it really quickly with little effort it is usually time to offer more or go up a size in prey, so in your case offering 2 pinkies. I would say he could manage 2 but as eeji & hannah said photos would help us confirm this.

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  05:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I have learnt on here the best way to judge when a snake needs to increase the size of its feed is by its weight, so that would be really helpful. I keep a diary noting my snakes' weights before each feed, as that way I can see their weight gain. You cant easily tell what a snake needs from its age and length. Also, as Eeji has said, pics of before and after a feed so the size of his bump can be seen.

I will repeat one thing already said, it is harmful to overfeed a snake by trying to put weight on him quicker than he is ready for...so just take it slow with him.

When he eats his pinkie does he seem to be searching for more food as though he is still hungry? How often are you feeding him, every 5 days? Do you know why he didnt feed the times when he refused to eat?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000