Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  20:43:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
been on the forum a wee while now im just wondering those of you who feed outside the viv why? i do it because that was what i was advised n it works ok some feed in the viv in it works fine ok.But one question keeps coming up "doesnt a snake smell the differnce between you n mouse "i dont know snakes never told me i just prefer not to take the chance snakes sense heat and "ur finger n thumb can resemble a mouse" thats quoted from a reptile book. Not wanting a big debate on it but my male carolina is ferocious when eating(i will try n get a photo to prove it) and overly curious when entering the viv. sorry but its been buggin me why anytime i give advice to feed out the viv im questioned yet those who feed outside the viv dont stand up for me its not a big deal not like your depriving the snake of anything.Believe me snakes temprements do change my snow was always very gentle she struck 3 days ago at a feed first time in nearly 2 yrs she has really came out her shell so to speak since seperating from herbie.Shes never struck at me yet i trust her but dont trust herbie ( even my partner is bailing out of using chopsticks to feed herbie now he is ordering the tongs} I know this sounds like an essay but do you not think keeping feeding areas seperate is a good idea. also i am aware of snakes who have been starved that do strike anything entering their area which i strongly beleif nobody in this forum falls into that catogorie

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

n/a
deleted

531 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  20:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feed all mine out of the viv (unless a non eater) I was told if you feed them in the viv then every time you open the door or put your hand in they tend to think it prey ...All mine are put into a box to feed cept for aggie for some reason he will only feed out on the floor ...he has never been agressive none of em have except the rat snake ...I think it is kittycat ...its worked for me so far

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  21:14:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers tilly xx

0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

muffin
Hatchling

United Kingdom
110 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  21:20:52  Show Profile  Click to see muffin's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I feed 3 of my 4 corns out side of the viv, as for roxy if i try to feed her out of her viv she wont go near it dont have a clue why she is like this.

1.0.0 Ghost corn-Dexter
1.0.0 Snow corn-Stig
0.1.0 Carolina corn-Roxy
0.0.1 Amel corn-Oscar
1.0.0 Florida kingsnake Elvis
Go to Top of Page

inkiepixie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
445 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  21:42:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feed outside the viv to stop them ingesting substrate that may get stuck to the mouse.

0.0.1 classic: Bellatrix
0.1.0 anery (het amel): Luna
1.0.0 hypo lavender (het amel ph stripe): Orion
1.1.0 kittycats: George and Pixie
1.0.0 hound: Shadow
1.0.0 husband: Louis

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

89 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  21:43:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a paranoia about Slinky swallowing substrate to feed in a seperate tub (with holes). Plus its clear and I can watch.

1 Hypo Corn - Slinky
1 Leopard Gecko - Leo
1 White Boxer - Floyd
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  21:49:19  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tilly

I was told if you feed them in the viv then every time you open the door or put your hand in they tend to think it prey ...

not exactly, but the opportunity to be confused for food is there......

i feed most of my corns out of their viv for this reason and to stop them ingesting substrate, and so i can monitor each individual

my smaller boas and royal i feed in their viv as it's where they feel most secure - this can work for stressy corns as well

and my big boa i feed in her viv as there's no way i'm sticking my hand in with her to take her out when she's got the whiff of a mouse/rat defrosting!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  22:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dont blame you in the later one gp.i ve held a 10ft albino python i wasnt afriad of it at all but our male carolina just seems to eye me up all the time the funny thing is my partner said i was being daf tactually said i was paranoid till now hes getting stressed soon as he goes near herbie its like ""show me the money""MOVE gee him the mouse n run b4 folk start saying hes hungry hes fed once a week n if you put the kettle on hes watching you hes unbelievable I really didnt belief snakes had such different personalities.

0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  00:10:02  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
some snakes can be really nosey,any noise and my corn comes straight out to see whats going on

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  00:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeh herbie has always been like " im watching you" think he gets a buzz cause he is ok when he is out in your hand

0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  04:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feed mine outside their vivs usually in the spare viv sometimes on my lap.
I think they realize when I am going to feed them as I do it at the same time of the day on the same day every week.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  21:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We feed snips out of the viv as she used to strike quite a lot when you went to pick her up, she's not done this since we took her out and fed her in a large plastic tub?

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  19:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i feed herbie out of the viv to stop him banging his head.he has such a ferocious take at feeding time he actually jumps into mid air as soon as he sees the mouse.he has jumped out of the tub before and it is a pretty deep tub.i now have to try and hide the mouse on approach to stop this happening.the little darling that he is (NOT)!!

Edited by - n/a on 10/09/2009 22:39:27
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  19:16:37  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by tilly

I was told if you feed them in the viv then every time you open the door or put your hand in they tend to think it prey ...

not exactly, but the opportunity to be confused for food is there......

i feed most of my corns out of their viv for this reason

I'd say you were at more danger trying to put a snake in feeding mode back into a viv.

I feed all mine in their vivs and have never been mistaken for food

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  20:08:29  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

I'd say you were at more danger trying to put a snake in feeding mode back into a viv.

I feed all mine in their vivs and have never been mistaken for food

it's coming one day piers,youre getting more and more snakes and your mrs has been had,YOUR NEXT lol

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  21:52:45  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

that's why i leave mine in their feeding tubs for a good 10-15 mins after they've finished eating........ so they come down from feeding mode. i've never had any probs either, worst-case scenario you tip them back into their viv

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  16:15:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats what i do gp!

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python
1.0.0 Tri-coloured honduran - Feta (R.I.P. my love!!!You will never be forgoten!)

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  16:28:19  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mine don't get fed in a seperate tub and none have ever hit my finger instead of the mouse (yet!)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  17:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep i feed legless in her viv... she's a private eater and will not go near the mouse if i watch be it in her viv or in a seperate feeding tub. because of this i feed her in the viv and wouldn't change it's worked for 11 years so far!

that being said... i think its down to the temperament of your snake and what they're use to and the species of snake. i did feed Chester, my royal outside the viv & that suited him fine

i don't think there is a right or wrong to the debate. the main thing is that your snake is happy and free from stress when eating.

ps when i feed legless in her viv i put something down on top of the substrate to avoid her eating it as well.

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  06:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Following the advice on here I do feed both of mine out of the viv because of concern about them swallowing substrate when they eat. I know you can put something down on top, like kitchen roll or paper, but what if they pull the mouse off and into their hide?

I am not so sure about them seeing your hand as food, in my very inexpert opinion, they know what their food smells like so as long as you dont have mousey hands then surely they can tell the difference?

There can be a difficulty with getting a snake back in a viv after it has been fed if it is still in hunting mode, I had that with Silvesta to begin with....but I think that he was being underfed and once he started putting on weight and settling down I havent had a problem with him. If it is a problem then, as GP said, you can just tip them back into the viv if they are being fed in a RUB.

It does come down to the snake in the end I guess. Some are shy feeders and may not feel comfortable feeding out of their 'safety zone', although this may be solved by putting one of their hides in a RUB and putting them in it a little bit before the feeding is due to happen...then feeding and covering the RUB so they have privacy to eat. Just a thought...probably silly I know!

I do wonder about Herbie's behaviour....what is he like when you handle him? How old/long/heavy is he? What is he being fed on? Just am curious as to whether there may be a reason for why he behaves as he does.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  13:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Herbie has always been an aggressive striker. he is the same age as casper just turned 2yrs he resides at my partners house since seperating them i will need to check his weight and size but ata guess id say 275-300grams 3ft long he is fed a large mouse every 7days.he has only struck once its just that he gives the impression that he would like to do it more often maybe he is just inquisitive

0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: