Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  07:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have to apologise to all those people that read the hes back!!! post. i was so excited that monty was back that i didn't now what to think. like someone else sed, sorry can't remeber who, i am young and my mind changes so easlily. hes mine for the keeping. i don't know what went through my hed at that point but i am sad that i even sed that. i took a long hard think staring at monty in his faun, and hes mine, forever. so ashamed that i sed about that. like i sed don't know what was going through my hed at the time, i have just spent 100 quid on him getting him a new 3ft cage and lots of other stuff that he will go into when hes settled down and eating good. i will do my best to get him back to normal

quick question, before he was one fuzzies soon to move up, shall i feed him 2 fuzzies like he was on before or shall i just feed 1 and see how he gets on? advice on feeding now plz

apologise to everyone,

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  08:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Danny, I am very proud of your reply here and just in the fact that you felt able to post it.

I havent been able to get access to my laptop very often, which is why I am rarely on and rarely commenting (its not because I have forgotten you lot, in fact I am having withdrawal symptoms !!).

I read your topic on finding Monty last night and it did sadden me, although I also wasnt surprised. I am glad you got the response you did and that those who responded did so in such a controlled and well-explained manner, because it has made you stop and think....which is what is so important.

I know I have brought up with you before about what you will do with your snakes once you go to uni, and you said your parents would look after them....but then surely that means they are no longer your snakes, and is unfair on your parents if you have more than one and have even got into different types of snakes and breeding. You need to seriously look into your future and the future of Monty, before you even contemplate getting any other snakes - although I know you already have your heart set on another snake to 'replace Monty'.

I know how young you are and how your brain jumps around....but I also have children around your age and I know how they would have reacted had their missing loved pet been found, and it wasnt how you reacted. The thought would never have even crossed their mind about it being better if he hadnt come back. It is why you need to take time before increasing your collection and make sure you are doing it for the right reasons and that you are able to do so, with regards to the many years ahead.

I am so pleased that Monty has turned up , I know how hurt and grieving you were when you lost him and I think you had honestly given up, which is why you had 'moved on' in your thinking. But we all told you to keep hoping and he is now home. He looks surprisingly healthy considering how long he has been gone. He definitely needs the settling-in period again, because although he is back in his old home it is no longer home for him. He also needs to reacquaint himself with you and so it will take time.

Your question about feeding is a bit confusing - you say that he was on one fuzzie soon to move up, but then you ask whether you should feed him 2 fuzzies like he was on before I think you should keep him on the 1 fuzzie, especially if that is what he was on. I know the temptation is to feed him up, but you must be careful about overfeeding him too soon. You also need to wait a few days for him to settle down before you feed him as the last thing you want is a regurge due to stress. Feed him before you handle him. Then leave him for the minimum of 48hrs and maybe even a few extra days before you start handling him. I know how much you will want to handle him and get him back to your old Monty....but this is going to take time.

Once again, I was saddened by your comments in your previous topic and you must take this on-board....but I am also proud that you seem to have put some thought into what was said. BUT take any decisions slowly, you have had one night to think about this on top of all the emotion of Monty returning and reading the comments posted. You need longer to consider where you go from here.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  08:36:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I missed the thread last night mate about him turning him, looks like you were a bit confused last night.

Never Mind. Glad hes okay dude.

I personally would feed him just the one fuzzy and see how he goes (if he was on 2 before).

How long was he missing? And where did u find him?

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  09:53:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry, i have thought long and hard and i think i will miss this year for getting new snake. i will not get one. monty is for keeps. i have thought and hard about it and totally regret what i sed last nitee. i was just a bit confused.

he was originally on two fuzzies and about to move up to small mice but i have to fuzies left. shall i feed him 2 fuzzies or just the one.

gaz, i found him after 2 months of his disapearing trick. i found him on the landing uunder the dogs bed. amazing how long he has been gone and he still seems quite healthy apert from being a bit skinny.

i am going to concentrate on him now, making him better and like the old monty no matter how long it takes. i totally regret what i sed. sorry.

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  10:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just feed him the one fuzzy mate. Then get him back on 2 fuzzys for a few feeds.

Then weigh him and if you then think he is ready, then try him with a small mouse.

2 months isnt that long to go without food really, how old is he?

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  10:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I echo everything said above, fantastic responses guys!!

2 months really isn't long, and Monty, to me, doesn't look at all skinny. Keep him on just the one fuzzy. The last thing you want to do is overload his system when he hasn't eaten for 8 weeks. Absolutely no harm will come to him.

Now I know I said some things on your other post yesterday in a pretty harsh way, and for that I apologise as it was never my intention to upset you.

I am very very glad you have made such a mature decision about Monty, and I wish the both of you all the best. x

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  10:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well done danny - its a big thing to apolagise on a public forum but kudos for doing it

i think keeping monty as your only snake until you are older is a good idea.. he'll be around for years and once you have been to uni (if you go) and have a place of your own theres nothing stopping you from getting another snake then

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  11:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A great topic (as well as the other one).
Many lessons learned too it seems.

Even I learned something...
"Don't lose your snake!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - Oakey

0.1.0 - Okeetee (Roxy)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  11:36:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dannny.

Read both your threads. I'm going to briefly outlay my experience with snakes whilst growing up, as I feel it will be useful to you:

I bought my corn, LegLess, as a hatchling when I was 12. She never went missing (would have been heart broken so I can't comment on how you must have felt) and has always been my priority as well as going through my secondary school.

After taking GCSE's (not too far for you) I wanted to get another snake. In fact I always wanted to grow my snake collection but with parental encouragement I learnt perhaps with college and a girlfriend who lived 70 miles away and one snake, I had enough on my plate. So I kept it to just LegLess.

After college I did my accountancy training (part work part study), I was still with my girlfriend 70 miles away and had a busy schedule. Whilst in and out of hospital I passed my training and due to health issues I left my work and I started working from my anex at my parents.

Last July me and the same girlfriend from the age of 16 got a flat together. However, my dad "adopted" LegLess (though up to then I was ALWAYS her keeper) and he wanted me to keep her at my parents. I bought a new addition then, a royal python, Chester, 11 years after LegLess and 11 years after wanting to build, like you, on my collection.

Unfortunately Chester had a serious unknown infection when I bought him from the shop purchased and he needed to be put to sleep 3 weeks after I had him

Literally last week me and my girlfriend moved to a bigger one bed house. I am picking LegLess up from my parents house on the weekend and she is coming back with me where her new viv awaits....

My point is EVERYONE who gets their first snake will "get the bug" and want more and more snakes, its just about being patient and knowing that you have to put their care first whilst also growing up yourself and going through education etc.

Take great care with Monty Danny, I'm sure you will, and once you both grow together and look back on the years, you will realise that is why your snake is so special.

Take care, Ben.

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 26/01/2010 11:40:45
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  11:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice Post Ben, Glad everything has turned out good for you :-)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  11:58:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks... with the exception of Chester of course!

1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 26/01/2010 11:59:26
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  12:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bengy_s

Thanks... with the exception of Chester of course!

I think I remember reading about Chester on the Royal forum, it was very sad indeed, didn't he have IBD?

Sorry for your loss.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  12:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When i said glad everything has turned out good, i was referring to...

Literally last week me and my girlfriend moved to a bigger one bed house. I am picking LegLess up from my parents house on the weekend and she is coming back with me where her new viv awaits....

Sorry to hear about Chester though dude.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  12:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you meant Gaz its cool.

SB- The post mortem revealed splenitis (spleen infection), a granuloma in the liver and the vets "assumed on the basis of the above" a neurological bacterial infection. However the PM was unable to test this. So not IBD but in the vets opinion with all the symptoms (beginings of mouth rot, lost 100g in 13 days and "stargazing", wobbling and striking) the outcome was still necessary and for the best for Chester

.... Still waiting for the full PM report though.

EDIT: Sorry to hi-jack thread.

1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 26/01/2010 15:42:11
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  12:56:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has been very interesting reading and a lesson to be learned for everyone. I'm really glad Monty has come back and that you have took a step back and looked at the bigger picture.
Wishing you and Monty lots of fun times together in the future.

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  12:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Danny. I wanted to apologise for the way I said things yesterday. I stand by what I said but I shouldn't have said it like I was lecturing you. I was surprised at what I read and replied in haste rather than thinking about it. After sleeping on it I can understand that it must have been a real shock to you to find Monty after you had given up hope and all you did was express out loud the instant reaction you felt. None of us can control those initial emotions, only what we do with them afterwards and your posts today show that you are maturely listening to the advice people are giving and using it to make wise decisions. I hope this doesn't sound patronising, but well done.

I hope you and Monty will be really happy together and I look forward to seeing a new sig and lots of photos soon.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  16:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
took monty to vets today, everything was finr, a bit underweight but apart from that in good health, a few scales a bit funny but he will sort them out, monty i mean.

i really regret what i sed about monty, and felt rely embarased about it, i should have never thought that but i did and totally love monty now.

one thing, i might be getting a new snake this year in june, as well as a leo, my bro wants a leo so parenst have sed yes but i will be one caring for it but it's not mine, and dad wants a royal and i sed i go halfs with him, the leo will be my bros so i don't need to worry about uni with that and the royal will prob come with me if poss but if not it's half dads so he would have it. monty no matter what will live with me though.

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  16:38:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We often write, say things before our brains start working.
As for feeding I would put two fuzzies in with him and see if he takes them both, after a couple of feeds like that to get him back to normal then try the next size up.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  16:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stumpy

As for feeding I would put two fuzzies in with him and see if he takes them both, after a couple of feeds like that to get him back to normal then try the next size up.

I really wouldn't advise putting 2 fuzzies in with him straight away, start off slow and build him back up. He's gone 8 weeks without eating (which isnt long) but you don't want to risk a regurge.

I am glad the vet says he is ok.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  16:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
monty is number one, he will always be number 1. will feed him 1 fuzzy this weekend.

i think he recently shed cuz he has alot more yellow on him and he seems really bright.

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  18:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you might have to search around then and find it if he has! you dont want someone finding it sticking out from under a bed or something and them thinking hes escaped again or theres another snake on the loose!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000