Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  15:12:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stella is almost ready to move up to the larger fuzzys (7g-9g) but all of these fuzzys in BOTH of the reptile shops that i go to are horrible looking, they are 'crushed' and deformed, they look very little like mice at all.

Im guessing both reptile shops get them from the same supplier.

So my question...

Would stella be okay on 2 of the smaller fuzzys untill she moves up to small mice.

Or should i just feed her these and hope she takes them okay?

Thanks

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  15:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how do you mean they are crushed and deformed?

the mice and rats I get often look very squished, I assume its where they are put into the freezer still warm and mould to each other. if they are like that in both shops I would say it is normal disfigurement.

Try defrosting one and then roll it between your hands to help it regain some shape, this often works for me, Casper is on jumbo mice and they often look gross when you chip them apart, but a good squish and they are back to normal.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  15:34:14  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
sorry did make me chuckle the thought of rolling a mouse back into shape. Things we do for our snakes

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  15:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha, yeh sexy bear, thats what they are like.

Squashed together, like there sides are caved in almost.

I will get one, defrost it and roll it.

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  15:57:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea!

Stella would probably still eat them as they are though,
so it would be a good idea to try her on a disfigured one anyway.
Might not have to roll them after all you see

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - Oakey

0.1.0 - Okeetee (Roxy)
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  16:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just find when they are bigger it can make them awkward to eat, Casper got one wedged across his mouth one day and found it quite stressful.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  16:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch...
Yeah, take the rolling option then hehe.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - Oakey

0.1.0 - Okeetee (Roxy)
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  17:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's because theyv'e been compacted together in the feezer at your reppy shop, good old defrost and a roll back into shape will work.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  18:03:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have to chip them apart? The ones I get look like they were frozen separately for the most part with only once in a while two being stuck together. Those ones come apart as they are thawing especially since Snickers is eating two fuzzies at a feed.
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

how do you mean they are crushed and deformed?

the mice and rats I get often look very squished, I assume its where they are put into the freezer still warm and mould to each other. if they are like that in both shops I would say it is normal disfigurement.

Try defrosting one and then roll it between your hands to help it regain some shape, this often works for me, Casper is on jumbo mice and they often look gross when you chip them apart, but a good squish and they are back to normal.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  18:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by godzchild9

You have to chip them apart? The ones I get look like they were frozen separately for the most part with only once in a while two being stuck together. Those ones come apart as they are thawing especially since Snickers is eating two fuzzies at a feed.

Occasionally yes. I dont ever use 2 of the same size- in the freezer I have rat pups, small, large and jumbo mice. Therefore if they are stuck together they need chipping apart.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  18:32:41  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TBH i don't think your snake will really care if its dinner is a bit squished :D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  18:38:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im a bit fussy - i let the rep shop pick them for me but when i go to get the fuzzies or the mice out the freezer i do put ones back if they are a bit twisted..i save those for when im in a bad mood and want to untwist something

quote:
Originally posted by eeji

TBH i don't think your snake will really care if its dinner is a bit squished :D

lol - it all comes out the same way but we can at least make the 'before' look slightly appealing!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  18:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should see what funky shapes Large rats can get into when you buy a bag of 10, Mmmmm toblorone anyone?

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  19:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Surely the mice are stuck together and deformed because at some point they have defrosted and then frozen back together in the pet store freezer? All the mice I get are seperate from each other, look like perfect sleeping mice, sometimes their paws or tail tips have snapped from the cold, but other than that they're perfect!

I would have thought if they were all deformed it might mean they've been defrosted and re frozen? Perhaps I just have a really good pet store!

zan x
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  19:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it depends on if they get frozen singly or if they are packaged up and thrown in the freezer all squished up.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  19:54:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tizzy

You should see what funky shapes Large rats can get into when you buy a bag of 10, Mmmmm toblorone anyone?

i got a weaner rat that was curled up in a ball..backwards - its tummy was on the outside with its legs poking out at random angles..it got rolled out and then after all that effort it was refused!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  19:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

All the mice I get are seperate from each other, look like perfect sleeping mice, sometimes their paws or tail tips have snapped from the cold, but other than that they're perfect!
quote:

That made me laugh

I don't think it will matter much for the snake it just matters if you are not happy with them and try and go else where.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  05:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think what is most important is what they are like once they have defrosted...in that do they smell bad???

The mice we get for Silvesta are shaped fine but the jumbo's for Kellog certainly come in lots of different shapes!

We recently tried a new shop to buy from, defrosted a jumbo for Kellog and it stank! Was a bit concerned already cos it looked a bit dark, but hadnt checked them at the shop as it was the first time in there and didnt feel confident enough to - it had even been recommended to us! Unfortunately we only go past it every 2 weeks. I rang them that day to warn them that they might have a bad stock and I didnt want them selling them on to other owners who may not be so vigilant. The lady I spoke to was very appreciative. She was not so appreciative when I told her that we were bringing back all the ones we had bought to show her as I was not at all happy about it. That will be this Thursday, so will probably get one out to defrost Thursday night....just so she can appreciate the full stench of what she sold me! Problem is Kellog is due a feed on Thursday, so think he may have to wait a few days (not that it is a problem for him!)

I really wouldnt worry about the fuzzies being 'crushed and deformed' Gaz, what is more important is their colouring and then, when you defrost them, their smell.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  08:39:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the further replies.

I will get some and see what they are like, if im not happy with them then i will go elsewhere.

I think its Hannah who said, the snake might not mind and maybe its us just being picky but i like feeding a nice looking mousey! Lol.

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  09:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe that's why the fuzzies stink when I feed them to Snickers. The pinkies never stunk like that, but the fuzzies leave a lot to be desired for the naza
quote:
Originally posted by zandefloss

Surely the mice are stuck together and deformed because at some point they have defrosted and then frozen back together in the pet store freezer? All the mice I get are seperate from each other, look like perfect sleeping mice, sometimes their paws or tail tips have snapped from the cold, but other than that they're perfect!

I would have thought if they were all deformed it might mean they've been defrosted and re frozen? Perhaps I just have a really good pet store!

zan x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  09:31:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the fuzzies I've bought for Snickers since November have stunk to me compared to the pinkies. I thought that was normal. She's not gotten sick from it, but if they are not supposed to stink, then how do we check these things while they are still frozen. They all had pink skin and there was nothing that looked poor on them. I looked because I was thinking of going up a size for Snickers.
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

I think what is most important is what they are like once they have defrosted...in that do they smell bad???

The mice we get for Silvesta are shaped fine but the jumbo's for Kellog certainly come in lots of different shapes!

We recently tried a new shop to buy from, defrosted a jumbo for Kellog and it stank! Was a bit concerned already cos it looked a bit dark, but hadnt checked them at the shop as it was the first time in there and didnt feel confident enough to - it had even been recommended to us! Unfortunately we only go past it every 2 weeks. I rang them that day to warn them that they might have a bad stock and I didnt want them selling them on to other owners who may not be so vigilant. The lady I spoke to was very appreciative. She was not so appreciative when I told her that we were bringing back all the ones we had bought to show her as I was not at all happy about it. That will be this Thursday, so will probably get one out to defrost Thursday night....just so she can appreciate the full stench of what she sold me! Problem is Kellog is due a feed on Thursday, so think he may have to wait a few days (not that it is a problem for him!)

I really wouldnt worry about the fuzzies being 'crushed and deformed' Gaz, what is more important is their colouring and then, when you defrost them, their smell.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000