Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  19:27:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all
Last time blaze shed it took him about 3 days+i had to gently bath him and run him through damp kitchen roll. Ive just bought some spagnum moss as i noticed this morning he's going into 'blue'.
Ive cleaned out his viv and he has a hide at each end, both with abit of damp moss in them, then a big clump spread out along the back of the viv (where his fake plant normally is)...i put this in to give him plenty of shelter!
m question is though, will he be able to burrow through the moss?? sounds silly i know, but ive just put him into his viv+he's just racing all over the viv+exploring+using neither of his hides+this is very unusual for him....he normally heads straight for one of his hides when he goes home!
Sorry for rambling on, guess im just being an over-protective mummy!!

1.1 Cornsnake: Fluffy and Blaze
1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa: Falcor
0.1 Bearded dragon: Chilli
1.1 Cats: Jackson and Mia
1.0 Fiance: Ade :)

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  19:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I usually just put it in a hide and leave my snakes to burrow through in their own time. As long as its not jammed in tightly Blaze should have no problems slithering through.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  21:59:30  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd personally stick to using it just in the hides, that way the overall humidity in the viv isn't increased too much

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  17:52:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i just want to thank for all the great advice!! GP, i followed your advice+just left the dampened moss in both his hides, but the stuff in the centre of his viv i used to make him feel secure i left in there, but didnt mist it at all, so it was reallydry.
Well ive just come downstairs+glanced in his viv to see a massive piece of shed (about 3/4 of his length) poking out of the top of his coconut hide. I gently went in+recocovered 2 other small pieces, the head piece and the first part of the tail. He's only got the last 2" left on his tail to shed, which il leave him over night to do it by himself! What an improvement tho!! 1 big piece and a few small sections of shed, compared to last time where it looked like his skin was flaking off as if he had sunburn!!
Im well chuffed :)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  17:55:46  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that's great news!

Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  18:14:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know, aint it just? still worrying bout the bit on his tail tho...its so wierd how thats the bit he had trouble with the last time! But im gonna be patient and leave him to it!

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2010 :  05:34:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did Blaze get rid of the last bit of shed on his tail Tina?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2010 :  11:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes he did, came home later that night and looked in his viv+it was on the aspen, so when i fed him the next day (when he was due) i checked him over+there's nothing left. I always check the eye caps+tail tip are gone! Thanks for asking! Hoping next time if i use the moss again he'll be ok...perhaps he just gets tired+leaves the tail tip until he's had a rest

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2010 :  05:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tinamiles

yes he did, came home later that night and looked in his viv+it was on the aspen, so when i fed him the next day (when he was due) i checked him over+there's nothing left. I always check the eye caps+tail tip are gone! Thanks for asking! Hoping next time if i use the moss again he'll be ok...perhaps he just gets tired+leaves the tail tip until he's had a rest

That is fantastic news Tina, and a great relief to you I am sure. At least now you know what you have to do to help him along each time he sheds to ensure that it is made as easy and as safe as possible. Well done Blaze - and you!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  20:16:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In theory, under ideal conditions your snake should have no problem shedding at all, but there are always exceptions to that rule. A light mist wont do any harm, but you shouldn't need to add damp moss to get a proper shed. None of mine have any damp other than general room humidity, and i dont have any issues with sheds.

Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  20:20:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

In theory, under ideal conditions your snake should have no problem shedding at all, but there are always exceptions to that rule. A light mist wont do any harm, but you shouldn't need to add damp moss to get a proper shed. None of mine have any damp other than general room humidity, and i dont have any issues with sheds.

well the first 2 sheds i had with him were perfect, and then the 3rd was a mess. T, the 4th, the one i talk about in this thread was ALOT better! I know ideally they should always be perfect, but the only thing i changed between the 2nd and 3rd shed was giving him an extra hide+some fake plants for coverage! Dunno what im doing wrong, but as far as i care, if i have to use moss to help him shed ok, then thats ok with me!

And kellog, thanks for your reply

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  21:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If thats what it takes then thats fine! i am not having a go, just saying! Some snakes habitually struggle with shedding, just generally not corns.
If he needs a little help, then it would be wrong not to help.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  22:10:04  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i would totally agree mike, if they're kept in an ideal environment everything should go fine......

but like you also said, some snakes do just struggle - my OAP that will be 18 this year (i think), despite providing a damp hide at either end so he HAS to use them, will still only manage to shed the top of his head and an inch wide stripe down his neck for 6-12".............not a lot bearing in mind he's about 5'6"! and the rest i have to peel off him in the bath. i know his set-up is fine and i do everything i can but hey............*shrugs*

Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  07:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

If thats what it takes then thats fine! i am not having a go, just saying! Some snakes habitually struggle with shedding, just generally not corns.
If he needs a little help, then it would be wrong not to help.

oh god, sorry, i know you aint havng a go. Did not mean to come across like that in my post.
Think ive just got an akward snake like one of yours GP LOL

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  20:55:45  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my OAP is, i think, 18 this year and has skin as tough as old boots lol he really does struggle but other than that he's absolutely no bother

Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  20:57:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

my OAP is, i think, 18 this year and has skin as tough as old boots lol he really does struggle but other than that he's absolutely no bother

awww, its cute u saying hes your OAP!!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  21:05:31  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well i can't say that about my OH as he's 2 years younger than me lol

Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  18:32:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

well i can't say that about my OH as he's 2 years younger than me lol

LOL
GP, since this forum doesnt seem to let me send individual messages...can i ask, are there any breeders you'd recommend in the yorkshire area?? Im in Harrogate and am planning way in advance my next snake! Hope u dont mind me asking you!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  21:32:38  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i suppose it depends what takes your fancy and what people are breeding.........
there's Paul (biglad) in Rotherham who i'd definitely recommend.......and Pauline on the dark side, she's in York, Dave (reptiles-ink) is likely to be breeding corns this year i think and he's in York too

i'm not having much luck with pairings so far (not witnessed a lock) but i'd obviously recommend myself if anything gets laid lol

i mean EGGS!!!

Edited by - gingerpony on 02/02/2010 21:33:44
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  21:54:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had some snakes off paul (biglad), they have both been fantastic quality, and reasonable cost too, the bloodred and the anery are from him. I think Nigel (cornmorphs) is up that way, but not sure.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  22:24:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no Nige is Northampton-based though i can recommend him too, he delivered my amel stripe for free as he was doing a run ooop norf at the time

and VERY happy with the anery motley i got off Paul at last year's Donny show i'm having to downsize this year but she's definitely a 'keeper'

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000