Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  09:09:32  Show Profile
what is the best thing to feed my corn thawed mice, pre-killed, lizards live or rats? and my snake is a 3 year old male.

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python
1.0.0 Tri-coloured honduran - Feta (R.I.P. my love!!!You will never be forgoten!)

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  09:25:50  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address
Well, obviously the thawed mice will have been pre-killed anyway, so I'd go with thawed naturally, not in a microwave as it can raise the bacteria levels.

0.0.1 Carolina corn - (renamed) Lumos.
2.0.0 Shetlands - Winston & Rupert.
1.3.0 Guinea pigs - Coffee, Nutkin, Rosemary & Thyme.
0.1.0 Yorkshire Terrier - Poppy.
Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  10:05:39  Show Profile
i no , not in the micro wave and thanks for the info but i ment. pre-killed by the mouse is alive then kill it the give it to the snake! and thanks for the info.

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python
1.0.0 Tri-coloured honduran - Feta (R.I.P. my love!!!You will never be forgoten!)

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  10:41:15  Show Profile
y would you feed a an adult corn a lizard?

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  11:50:53  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address
Corns live primarily on rodents so mice is always the best as it contains everything that your corn snake will need.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  13:48:35  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage
lizards are part of a cornsnakes natural prey, especially in southern florida ;)

The best you can give yours however is defrosted mice if he's a good feeder.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  16:37:32  Show Profile
i now that they would prey on lizards in the wild but why would you feed a pet snake lizards, would be expensive aswell, one a week would cost about 20 quid.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  16:44:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

i now that they would prey on lizards in the wild but why would you feed a pet snake lizards, would be expensive aswell, one a week would cost about 20 quid.

Fernando Pierre is in South Africa- and Life in general is slightly different than UK- so Perhaps general Herp Keeping is aswell..?

xXx

EDIT: Spelling

BTW Fernando Pierre are you Northern or Southern Subs of CT?

edit to put post together -sexychef

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"

Edited by - sexychef on 17/01/2010 17:49:34
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  22:23:39  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
lizards - probably not an ideal STAPLE diet
live rats - either too big, or if you find a suitable size rat (hopper/fuzzy) then nutritionally it will be high in fat and low in calcium and other nutrients, plus feeding live is a high risk to the snake
pre-killed mice - ideal staple diet, safe to feed and usually readily available

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  05:48:09  Show Profile
thanks guys/girls for all the info i will stick to frozen mice!!!! and i live in the southen ct

pets-
snow corn-x1
dalmations-x3
fish-x12

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python

Edited by - sexychef on 28/01/2010 19:48:13
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  07:36:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Fernando Pierre

pets-
snow corn-x1
dalmations-x3
fish-x12

#

Ah!
A local!
We got married in Southern Subs- We're coming over for another holiday at the end of Feb

xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  08:11:33  Show Profile
What's a quid?
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

Your's sounds like my home in the states. At one time I had two budgies, three dogs, two cats, an iguana, a rabbit, 15 chickens and 25 fish. I was accused of having a petting zoo, but we lived out in the country. We sold the chicken eggs that we didn't eat so it provided food for the animals.
quote:

pets-
snow corn-x1
dalmations-x3
fish-x12

Edited by - sexychef on 28/01/2010 19:49:06
Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  08:59:09  Show Profile
as local no i am not i live in cape town but parents from Europe.

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  09:17:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Skorps

Fernando Pierre is in South Africa- and Life in general is slightly different than UK- so Perhaps general Herp Keeping is aswell..?

quote:
Originally posted by Skorps

Ah!
A local!
We got married in Southern Subs- We're coming over for another holiday at the end of Feb

quote:

as local no i am not i live in cape town but parents from Europe.

I love it...may the South Africans take over (like we have done in the cricket !!).

Lived in Johannesburg for over 10yrs as a kid....my twin and my brother are still out there. My heart belongs to SA - especially when we are kicking English **** at cricket and rugby!

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 18/01/2010 09:21:52
Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  13:24:53  Show Profile
So what corn(s) / snake do all you guys/girls have?

I gotta snow corn and getting a normal corn in two weeks or so!!!! yayayaya!!!!!!!

and how old are your guys/girls snakes are?

what is the size of your ppls tank?

and what lighting do you guys/girls use?

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python

Edited by - sexychef on 28/01/2010 19:51:31
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  14:05:58  Show Profile
3 and a half year old ish Snow female, in a 3ft viv with no lighting (shes on a cermamic heat bulb)

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  17:34:52  Show Profile
Snickers is a normal, but a purty normal.
quote:

So what corn(s) / snake do all you guys/girls have?

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  17:40:26  Show Profile
A ghost and an amel, no lighting.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  17:52:37  Show Profile
hi guys/girls thanks for telling me what snake you ppl have there soooooooooooooooo sweet and lovely,the names are great to!!!!!! but i have just fed my snake for the first time (soooo exiteing) and i have heard that it is bad if the snake eats the mice backwards. i am not to sure so please help. thanks!! :) :) :) :)

Snow corn- Diablo

thanks again every one!!!!!!

i love snow, ghost, amel, and normal corns

Snakes are sooooooo cool why didnt any one tell me about them earlier!!!! i love him sooooooooooo much!

do snakes know if your there owner or not ( like if you have had them for a few years)?

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python

Edited by - sexychef on 28/01/2010 19:54:00
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  05:50:56  Show Profile
Will try and answer some of your questions!!!

Kellog, 4.5yr old ghost, 4'5" long, just over 700g, in a 4ft viv with heat mat and low-watt light bulb. Have had him for just over 9 months.

Silvesta, we think is approx 3.5yrs old, anery, 3'6" long, 241g, in a 2'5" with a light for heat (which I want to change when I can). Have had him just over a month.

Think snakes do begin to recognize their owners....for one thing their owners are more confident and relaxed when handling them as opposed to other people, so the snake would sense that. Also they must get used to your smell being the one that regularly handles them and changes their water etc.....so must associate you with the person who is most in contact with them. I know Kellog is most relaxed and laid back with me, he will settle on me for ages which he doesnt do with other members of my family. If I am sitting near whoever is handling him he will invariably make his way over to me. Even Silvesta is more calm when I handle him than when others do.

It is amazing watching your snake feed....and I feel that excitement every time I feed mine, not only the first time! Did you wait the necessary week to allow your corn to settle in - so with no handling or feeding? I do hope you do that when you get your next corn. Do you know not to handle your snake for 48hrs after it has eaten?

As for eating a mouse backwards, I think a lot of forum members have had this happen, and it doesnt cause a problem (just looks funny when they are onto bigger mice and you have your snake's mouth wide open with a mouse's head poking out!)

Why dont you introduce you and your corn properly in the welcome section....giving a bit more info about yourself - that way we can all say hi properly!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  12:59:16  Show Profile
i have done every thing you have mentioned here (except waiting for one week be fore handling him) i did wait 48 hours before holding him after he ate and i love him to bits!!!! thanks for the info it has rely helped me!!

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000