Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  17:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Need some help please. My 3yr corn hast ate for 3 feeds now can anyone give me som help please. I know he mat be horny but do you know when this will stop? He is eating a medium rat every 7 days and will take his food without any trouble. So could you give me some advice what to do.
XX

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  17:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He will start to eat again when he feels ready, it could be weeks, maybe a couple of months.

From your pic we can see a little of your setup, but it might be worth giving us a detailed account of his entire setup, incase there is something else that has caused him to go off his feed.

Also, it might be worth bearing in mind that rats aren't ideal for corns, they are very fatty and can cause weight problems. Mice are far better.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  17:42:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
were tango is in the photo there is a large hid for him then he has the log and then a large water dish.So next time i try to feed him i should try with a mouse?, what size of mouse will i try becuase he usually eats a medium rat.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  17:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He would maybe appreciate some fake plants, vines or branches just to give him a bit of variety. It may also be worth covering at least 2 of the sides of the glass tank to make him feel really secure.

Jumbo/XL mice will be fine, 1 every 10-14 days is the norm.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  18:24:55  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hey, i noticed that you were feeding him on the subsrate which could lead to an internal blockage

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  18:25:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awryt thanks for your help i willl definetly try these tips :)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  18:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My little garter snake called fluffy too, never eats on his substrate will just decline his food unlie he is in a carbord box which i was told is better for them, so the next time i feed tango, My corn i will try the same method. thanks alot.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  05:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I first got Kellog he was approx 4yrs old, and wouldnt feed. Was constantly active and trying to escape from viv, but totally ignored any food offered. That is when I discovered this forum and they kept me sane (while I drove them mad !!) and they also explained that he was horny and would eat when he was ready. Following their advice I kept to his normal feeding schedule that his orignal owner had him on - think it was to feed him every 5 days 1 medium mouse...so I would dangle it in his viv, he would pretend it wasnt there, I would leave it in overnight and find it still there the next morning. So I would remove it and try again in 5 days. This went on for 13 weeks !!! You can imagine my absolute shock and excitement when one morning he just suddenly struck and ate....I couldnt believe it !! It was such a relief. On advice from these guys I started weighing him regularly during this period, and he only lost a small bit of weight...which showed that his not feeding was due to a natural reason, whereas a big weight loss would have shown a problem. Do you weigh Tango?

Kellog was also fed in the viv, but once he was feeding regularly I started feeding him outside it. As Tango is used to being fed inside the viv I wouldnt advise you changing that at the moment while you have a feeding problem with him. Maybe just cover substrate with a pice of kitchen roll or paper while you dangle mouse, then leave it on that or on a plate or tile in viv if he doesnt take it. Once he is back feeding normally then you can try changing him. I now feed Kellog on a towel on the floor. It certainly takes away the worry of him swallowing any of the substrate, and gives much better photo opportunities !

My new snake, Silvesta, was also fed in viv by previous owner. He wasnt handled enough and isnt very tame, so fed him in RUB to begin with...but had big problem getting him out of it. Last feed we fed him how we do with Kellog, just on a table not the floor. Took 2 of us to make sure it was controlled but worked really well. Only problem was putting him back in viv as he was striking at my OH whenever he tried to pick him up . Managed to do it though and am sure he will tame down as he gets used to us and also as he puts on weight (was very thin).

Definitely agree with SexyBear about the rats, they are known to be more fatty and therefore less nutritious. Once you know Tango's weight you can tell better what size mouse he should be on and how often he should be fed.

Does Tango just have the one hide? He really needs 2. What are the temps in the viv and how are you measuring/controlling them? You need to checkout all those sorts of things to make sure it is not something else putting him off his food. Also see he is in a glass tank, so again agree with SexyBear about covering sides. In a wooden viv they would be closed in on 3 sides. They feel very exposed otherwise, which is also why SB has suggested some foliage for him as cover.

Hope this helps, please let us know how you are both doing. And I do hope your garter snake starts eating again after his little 'holiday'.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  23:04:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As i have only had tango for a few months it was his usuall set up and there wasnt any problem with him. No there is two hids in his viv and i have also took the advice buy putting a cover over the back and the both sides and just exposing the frount of the viv.

There isn't anything "controlling" the heat just a heat mat and is around 20 in the warm side of the viv but i only have the one thermostat.

I will let yous know how they got on in their next feeds, hopefully fluufy (baby garter) eats. Am sure tango will come round to eating in his own time :)

Thanks again for all your help.

Xx
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  23:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryanbryant1

As i have only had tango for a few months it was his usuall set up and there wasnt any problem with him. No there is two hids in his viv and i have also took the advice buy putting a cover over the back and the both sides and just exposing the frount of the viv.

There isn't anything "controlling" the heat just a heat mat and is around 20 in the warm side of the viv but i only have the one thermostat.

I will let yous know how they got on in their next feeds, hopefully fluufy (baby garter) eats. Am sure tango will come round to eating in his own time :)

Thanks again for all your help.

Xx

Thats far, far too cold, Temp ideally needs to be 27-29c!! Not having enough heat to digest food can lead to serious digestive problems, eg: prey rotting inside the snake.

A thermostat is an essential piece of kit for your mat, unregulated they can reach temps which can easily kill a snake.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  23:14:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
will i need a much stronger heat pad ?
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  23:18:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends on what you've got. If its unstatted and only runs at 20c then possibly yes. A 7-12 watt mat is usually sufficient, but as I said before, they MUST be statted or they can cook a snake easily.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  23:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok. Thanks for all your help again.

This is a really good web page. I dont know what i would be doing without it. Thak you to evry one who has helped me and commented on my beautiful Tango.
Xx
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  23:27:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say you're welcome, we are here to help and enjoy the hobby!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  05:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is a really good web page. I dont know what i would be doing without it. Thak you to evry one who has helped me and commented on my beautiful Tango.
Xx

SexyBear has said it all, yet again!! (You keep getting there before me SB ). This is exactly what this forum is for, escpecially considering the lack of advice/bad advice given by pet shops . So please keep asking and we will keep helping .

And how couldnt we comment on how beautiful Tango is!!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  18:15:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Xx

The Guys and Girls here are simply Magic! And their advice is sound! And sometimes- on those days when your in a "bit of a flat" they are also soothing (with a touch of Comic Relief!)
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  18:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:

Xx

SexyBear has said it all, yet again!! (You keep getting there before me SB ). This is exactly what this forum is for, escpecially considering the lack of advice/bad advice given by pet shops . So please keep asking and we will keep helping .

And how couldnt we comment on how beautiful Tango is!!!

xxx

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  22:28:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so glad i found out about this. And for all your information fluffy(baby garter) ate his pinkie straight away with no problems what so ever. I need to get photos of the weee cutie on. Thanks for all your help again. I am sure i will ask for more in the near future.
Xx
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2010 :  02:16:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am so glad i found out about this. And for all your information fluffy(baby garter) ate his pinkie straight away with no problems what so ever. I need to get photos of the weee cutie on. Thanks for all your help again. I am sure i will ask for more in the near future.
Xx

That is fantastic news about Fluffy eating, you must be so pleased. Cant wait to see pics of him, put them up in the Exotic Photo section as he is not a corn .

No need for the thanks...that is what we are here for !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  20:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My corn has still not ate :( i think he is about to shed anytime now because he has went very dull and his eyes are going blue/grey, anything i should do ?
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  20:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To help him shed?

You could put a moist hide in if you want, get some sphagnum moss, freeze it to kill of any germies, defrost with boiling water, leave to cool and then squeeze out the excess water before adding the moss to a hide.

Or you could move the water bowl to the hot end of the viv for a day or so to raise the humidity.

With regards to the feeding, I really wouldnt panic, it is the time of year for males to be off their food, I'm sure he will eat in his own time.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000