what happens if ther is a power cut
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  12:00:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what do you do if ther is a power cut. will the snake be ok. how will you keep it warm

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  12:09:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Normally they dont last long enough to bother a snake, only time it may be an issue is when the snake has just eaten.

You can pop a water bottle into a the filled with water at around 27-29c (use a digital thermometer to measure it) or wrap towels around to keep the heat in.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  12:40:50  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
don't worry about it, corns are a temperate species so they'll cope just fine ;)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  12:51:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I asked myself this a while back but i thought they would be fine.

Surely at some point in the wild the temp plummets for no apparent reason before returning to normal.

And Corns are a hardy snake arent they? So i guess they would just take it in there stride.

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  15:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been wondering about that too. Although I think we people would be in worse condition than the snakes.
quote:
Originally posted by smillyreilly

what do you do if ther is a power cut. will the snake be ok. how will you keep it warm

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  15:29:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But in the wild, are they in a form of hibernation during the coldest part of the year?
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz_1989

I asked myself this a while back but i thought they would be fine.

Surely at some point in the wild the temp plummets for no apparent reason before returning to normal.

And Corns are a hardy snake arent they? So i guess they would just take it in there stride.

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  21:52:45  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yes they'd brumate through the coldest weather but there'd still be natural temperature fluctuations the rest of the year. i'd personally try to keep them warm through a power cut if it was in the depth of winter. about a year ago we had weekly powercuts for a few hours at a time and i'd have to prioritize my boas and anything that had fed within 24-48 hours for hotwater bottles

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  22:24:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah they're tougher than most of us! They'll do fine without power for a good while, though obviously keep an eye out. And as said by sexybear and gingerpony maybe extra care if they just ate.

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  04:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Problem is if you have no gas to boil water for hot water bottles!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  08:15:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm prepared with a camping stove and two mini hot water bottles from the pound shop - just in case! I thought they'd also be useful for popping the snakes into school one day.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  08:22:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SS, have you took your snakes into school? my son is wanting to take Steve in but wasn't sure this was a good idea or not?
We only have electric in our house and we have camping stoves so easy to get hot water, think we got ours for about a tenner from the range.

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  13:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Problem is if you have no gas to boil water for hot water bottles!

xxx

Go to a camping store and buy the little camping hobs for like £6!

Good point, the rubbish flat I just moved from only had electric hobs!

EDIT, That was wierd SS's reply didn't show before & she posted it this morning!?

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 03/02/2010 13:37:11
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  15:32:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't they have heated travel packs that are good for a couple of days? I don't know how they work but I do know that when I was thinking about ordering praying mantids they told me that I could buy these heat pads that keep until ready to use and then you bend them or something to activate the heat.
quote:
Originally posted by Sammysnake

I'm prepared with a camping stove and two mini hot water bottles from the pound shop - just in case! I thought they'd also be useful for popping the snakes into school one day.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  17:34:56  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by godzchild9

Don't they have heated travel packs that are good for a couple of days?

i'm not sure how long they last but i'm pretty sure the temperature can't be controlled........and will potentially be too hot for most reptiles

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  19:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
SS, have you took your snakes into school? my son is wanting to take Steve in but wasn't sure this was a good idea or not?

Hi Dawn. I'm lucky in that I work in my daughter's school so if her teacher says yes, I will arrange to take them in myself and keep custody of them (don't want anyone losing my babies).

I'm pretty sure my daughter's teacher will be fine with it and the Year 2 teacher I was working with last year has already asked to show my snakes to her kids if I bring them in. Unfortunately the Year 3 teacher I'm with this year is well scared and even hates me talking about them, so I doubt she'll go for it - unless the kids come and visit the snakes in another room.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  20:22:55  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ive had a powercut for 3days and had no power at all to heat my snakes and they have been fine

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  23:39:29  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by godzchild9

Don't they have heated travel packs that are good for a couple of days?

i'm not sure how long they last but i'm pretty sure the temperature can't be controlled........and will potentially be too hot for most reptiles

I haven't used these either, but if I remember rightly I think there are different heat pads designed to operate at different temps, but I haven't looked into them much.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000