New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  18:08:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got my corn now!
she's a lovely one, very bright and very curious she's not shy at all.
I'm just setting up she's in the big plastic thing (i forgot whats it's called viv or faun) and i've just got a few urgent questions. I have read the caresheet but I can't seem to find the answers.
1.How much subsrate does she need, i think i've got too much at the moment. around how much in cm?
2.What temperature does the water need to be?
3.I just saw a teeny little fly in the thingy majig, i did check her for mites in the store and she didn't have any, at least I don't think so. do mites even fly? it could just of flown in but all the windows are shut and my rooms just been cleaned.
thanks, I will probably have a million more questions in a few minutes lol

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  18:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Congratulations on the new snake. Are we talking about a hatchling? If so: 1. Just over 1 cm in the cold end, maybe up to 1.5 cm, gradually going to just over 2 cm in the warm end, no more than 2.5 cm.

2. Water goes in the cold end. Shouldn't be chilled water, nor warmed up water.

3. No idea about mites, sorry.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  18:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations for your new snake, below is a link about mites:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3651

As far as Im aware they do not fly- they are blood suckers on the snake- but Im sure if Im wrong I will be corrected quickly :)
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  18:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanks a lot! I was way over, ranging to about 5cm oppsy! I went around with a ruler i'm really scared about doing anything wrong. She's a bit scared now i think as she's become stationary, I'll leave her for a week before picking her up right?
I did handle her in the shop and when i got home, i don't think that's allowed but i was just transporting her from the rub and she wasn't nervous really active! she actually climbed onto me, she liked my sweatshirt so i couldn't exactly resist ;) I'll post a picture in the section because I took one while she was on the table :D thanks for your help!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  19:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No- No handling for 1 week! Its tough! But you have to be strong :)

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  19:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hawk, it'd be best to have sub as thin as possible in the warm end to allow heat through, (at least thats the way it's worked for me, in my own experience) My guys have about 4-5 sheets of newspaper all over the viv for absorbency and allows heat through.

I use plain on tap water.

That's a good question about the mites. No they cannot fly, but any insect seen in the viv should mean for a clean. Here goes a stab in the dark at my tiny amount of invert knowledge, mites are actually in the arachnid family I think, if theyr'e related to the red mite, (dunno?!) and arachnids' can't fly.
Go to Top of Page

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  19:40:16  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
mites are actually in the arachnid family I think, if theyr'e related to the red mite related to the red mite, (dunno?!) and arachnids' can't fly.

wow

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  19:45:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

That's a good question about the mites. No they cannot fly, but any insect seen in the viv should mean for a clean. Here goes a stab in the dark at my tiny amount of invert knowledge, mites are actually in the arachnid family I think, if theyr'e related to the red mite, (dunno?!) and arachnids' can't fly.

10 points for you!
This link below is pretty interesting!
About mites!
http://www.vpi.com/publications/the_life_history_of_snake_mites

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  20:02:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow didn't know that but I heard that the red mite that turn into a red dot when they get stepped on.. (had to remove a nest of them off my pateo a few years back) was related to the spider.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  22:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you want it thinner in the warm end but then if you want you can put it thicker in the cool end..
in my kings viv iv got it at about 1.5cm in the warm end and am piling it up to about 2inches in the warm end cause hes a burrower and appreciates it lol

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  22:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I did hannah, beech scattered losely so he can slither over it in the warm end and mixed chippings with aspen in the cool I really chucked it in made a little molehill
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  23:55:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hillzi, you are absolutely correct -- I've just re-read what I wrote before, and it's totally back to front ! Thanks for pointing that out .

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  10:08:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scissors

I've got my corn now!
she's a lovely one, very bright and very curious she's not shy at all.
I'm just setting up she's in the big plastic thing (i forgot whats it's called viv or faun) and i've just got a few urgent questions. I have read the caresheet but I can't seem to find the answers.
1.How much subsrate does she need, i think i've got too much at the moment. around how much in cm?
2.What temperature does the water need to be?
3.I just saw a teeny little fly in the thingy majig, i did check her for mites in the store and she didn't have any, at least I don't think so. do mites even fly? it could just of flown in but all the windows are shut and my rooms just been cleaned.
thanks, I will probably have a million more questions in a few minutes lol

Think the question about substrate has finally been answered correctly (with a slight detour in the wrong direction ), and am glad you have put it right.

Just leave her for the week now with no handling or feeding - she needs recover from the stress of the move and also needs to get used to her new surroundings, all the smells and vibrations. Just change the water daily (I just use normal tapwater, which answers your 2nd question) and straighten the substrate...which means she is getting used to your smell.

The answer about mites has also been answered - very professionally I might add !! Have had to cope with mites and it is not nice. We do occasionally get little gnats in our lounge, more so now we have got the snakes, and they sometimes get in the viv. Think it is probably worthwhile doing a full viv clean and disinfect with change of substrate once she has had a chance to settle in...unless you notice more of them and then you may have a problem that needs dealing with quicker. Just keep an eye out for them and see what happens.

As far as your million questions goes....that is what we are here for so just keep asking. Use the search function in the top right corner first to see if you can find your answer and if you cant then ask...it is likely there are others who need to know what you do. No question is a silly question here, so dont worry about that.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  13:32:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for your help, it's day 3 now and she's a bit nervous but i think she's getting used to my hand changing the water already so that's good :) I can't wait to feed/handle her! I'll probably talk to you guys soon in another section, it's a very friendly forum. And I'll post some pictures, I have some already but they're really bad quality, I personally think she's a beautiful snake, she's bright red/orange and the markings are really prominante which I haven't seen in most of the pictures I've looked at of amel corns. Anyway I feel like I'm showing of a bit now sorry! hope to cyber bump in to you guys soon ;) xxx
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  14:28:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad it's going well. the skittiness is natural, don't worry about it
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: