New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lr2188uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  20:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello guys, first off I would like to say I hope everyone has a good new year.

The next thing is I have a couple of questions. I bought my snake a couple of days ago, a baby blood red, its 39.5cm long.

I brought it home on Tuesday afternoon and it seems to have settled well, the only thing I'm a bit worried about is that when he's awake he seems to spend hours just trying to what looks like escape. He goes to the edge of the tank and the goes straight up it vertically, often falling into the next peice of glass. Now im wandering is this normal? is he just assessing his surroundings or have I just bought a snake that should be commited? He has climbed everything ive put in but I only have one hide at the moment in the hot end, i need to buy another tomorrow. Could he be stressed or is this normal and if he is stressed is he likely to hurt himself from all this stuntman stuff?

Another question is how soon should i feed him once the 7 day rule is up? Should i try him straight away? Handle him briefly first? Just wandering really, i havent been able to find a huge amount of info on this particular question.

Thankyou very much

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  21:46:48  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
he's just working out his new enclosure, i wouldn't worry about it, but i WOULD put in another hide, it doesn't have to be a posh shop-bought E-T one, most of mine also have cardboard tubes, boxes, bits of slate etc as hides. so you CAN improvise as long as it's clean and a suitable size for the snake...

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 31/12/2009 21:47:09
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  22:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
half the hides i use are cardboard boxes..one lucky corn is about to get a jelly cube box for a small hide no expenses spared me
most snakes are like that when they get put in a new home.. they like to scope it out and see where they can get out in the future

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  23:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My snake always comes out every night when all the lights are out. and when he does he rises vertically and seem to be scoping out ways to escape. My corn loves to hide out in coconut shells. Very inexpensive and good looking. I have one on the warm side and one on the cooler. I left my corn alone for 7 days and I feed him every friday night when the kids crash out. I handle him once a day for about 15-20 minutes. After I feed him I give him about 48 hours to relax and digest.

Go to Top of Page

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  00:15:03  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As soon as I got my crb, he immediatly started to crawl up the sides and fell staight on to the substrate again LOL but he was just investigating, I use plastic plant pots with a door hole in their and ialso have made him a cave with and upside down sandwich box :)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  08:06:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Gingerpony has said he is just finding his way around...and trying to find a way to escape, which is a natural instinct for them!! Dont worry about it falling...it doesnt have far to fall and has a soft landing ! They truly are amazing in the acrobatic stunts they pull! (checkout photo part - 'Kellog goes High!' I think it is called and you will see what I mean!!)

Not sure what he is in at the moment, but make sure there are no small holes, they can even slide between the 2 pieces of glass on sliding doors when they are small, so if you have those put a paper binder on the inside edge...which will stop your snake from squeezing through and is also softer for them to rub their noses up and down against than the glass edge is. To be honest I take it as a good sign, as he is not hiding away scared!!

Definitely get another hide in asap - but as already mentioned almost anything can be used...just make sure there are no sharp edges or corners.

As for feeding and handling after the 7 days rule is up (well done for waiting it out ), you should probably feed first as it is a baby...then wait the necessary 48hrs to allow for digestion..another wait, I know!

You can then finally start handling. It is a case of very calm and patient, and very short periods of time when you begin to handle. Literally just a few minutes a couple of times a day....approx 5 min depending on how your baby is dealing with it. Just let it run through your hands, letting it get used to your smell and touch. You can slowly build up the time you are handling your snake as you both adapt to each other...although I tend to keep mine to a maximum time of 30mins (45mins if I pretend not to notice the time ) and Kellog is an adult. It is so tempting to keep them out for longer, especially when they then dont want to go back into their viv!!

Lots of owners of hatchlings do their handling over their bed in case the baby slips out of their hands, which is a good idea cos then there is no-where for them to hide and it is a soft landing! You could also handle over a sofa (althouth there is more opportunity for it to slip between cushions)...but cover the bed/sofa with a towel in case your lovely baby decides to give you a lovely 'gift' in the shape of a poo!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  18:48:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My snake came with a hide that was half the size of the Viv that she is in , SO I bought another smaller hide and then I came across a wrapping paper inner cardboard roll- and she loves it!
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000