New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

manchiesue
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2009 :  22:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi my cornsnake has just shed but seems swollen near the vent ,she hasnt eaten for two weeks ,wasnt interested in a mouse after shedding and hasnt passed any waste , shes active enough what can i do? or do i need the vet?

sue

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  02:11:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi manchiesue. Welcome to the forum...you have come to the right place to get some advice, we have very experienced owners who are happy to share their advice and support (friendship and fun are the bonuses thrown in).

It sounds to me (who is fairly inexperienced) that your snake is 'constipated' or has an impaction - (when snake swallows substrate) is incredibly hard to fix, depending on substrate swallowed and snakes size, it may not be able to be corrected. Any pics you could post of her tail end would be helpful.

I know with my snake he nearly always poos immediately following a shed. You say she hasnt eaten in 2 weeks...how often is she being fed and what? Has she just moved up to the next size in food? Do you have a diary as to how often she normally pooes? What substrate is she on? Is she fed in her viv? Is she drinking enough? I guess she may be dehydrated.

Stroking her when you get near to her tail may help, just stoke on top and below it because the firm downward rubbing may encourage her to poo. I know that giving her a bath might help encourage her to poo - rinse the bath out so there is no gel/shampoo/soap in there, put just enough water in so she can swim without touching the bottom, you dont need to support her as snakes are good swimmers so she will be fine, make sure the water is around 27' with a thermometer first though.

If she doesnt then I would certainly think that a check with a vet is necessary. I am not sure whether you should continue to feed her as you may just exacerbate an existing problem.

Sorry I cant be of more help.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 19/12/2009 02:36:03
Go to Top of Page

manchiesue
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  09:03:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that info she is a 5 foot crimsicle called kellogg (I thought it was a unique name then came on here lol)and 18 months old she normally has a large mouse once a week and poo;s shortly after. the substrate shes on is beech chippings,I normally dangle the mouse and she;s straight on it ,anyhow ive given her a bath and a massage and will see if anything happens, and i wont feed her ,thanks for the help

sue
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  19:24:59  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum

5Ft and 18months old wow that dont sound right

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  21:12:38  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  22:43:03  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum,if shes 5' i would say that shes at least3 years old.If your concerned it wouldnt hrt to nip along tp the vets just to be safe.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2009 :  10:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!
Welcome!
Hope your Kellog is feeling better!
5' is pretty big!
My Slinky is only 13 inches long :)
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2009 :  14:32:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
are you sure her age is right?? 5 foot long snakes are generally around at least 3years old

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2009 :  16:11:07  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Not even 3yrs old its probly like 4+yrs old

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

manchiesue
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2009 :  19:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry everyone she is not 5foot shes 4 foot. 52inches to be exact and ive had her since she was 14 inches when i got her from a breeder and i will have had her 2 years in april sorry for the confusion .i have given her another bath and nothing has happened and tempted her with a mouse but she wasnt interested ,a friend has suggested it could be a phantom pregnancy but i have no idea looks like a trip to the vets, thanks for all your help everyone

sue
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  01:37:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sorry that the bath hasnt helped but it does sound as though you are doing the right thing by getting her to a vet as soon as possible. Do you have a herp vet near you? Or can your local vet recommend anyone?

As far as a phantom pregnancy is concerned all I know is that your snake would probably mainly be in the cool end, and you should be able to tell that she is a bit bigger, but not hugely. It doesnt sound as though that is the problem.

With her not eating it may be worthwhile adding some Reptoboost into her water, just to help her.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 21/12/2009 02:08:49
Go to Top of Page

manchiesue
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  15:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi just to let you know kellogg went to the vets and seems shes a little tubby she has to eat less for a while but should be ok shes eaten and passed it twice now so thanks for all your help .

sue
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  02:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sue, that is fantastic news .

I am so glad you took her to the vet and got her looked at. It must be a real relief to know that there is nothing really wrong and that she has eaten and pooed twice! (must be a relief to her as well !!)

Out of curiosity...how much did she weigh? My Kellog is just over 4ft, about 4 and a half years old, and is feeding on 1 jumbo mouse every 10 days. He weighs just over 700g.

What is her feeding schedule now? It would be a good idea to try and think up an 'exercise' schedule for her...when you handle her get her to climb the stairs or something that entails her burning up more calories.

Its good news Sue and I am so pleased for you both!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

manchiesue
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  17:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi kellog,Thanks, what a great idea the stairs were i tried her on them and she loved it going in between the spindles ,
she weighes 550 grammes and is now on 1 small mouse every 10 to 14 days .i feel a little guilty as she seems to want more but its for her own good ,i guess i was overfeeding her before as if she was out and looking for food i would give her some and she would eat it sometimes 2 week. as they say you learn by your mistakes and mine nearly cost me my beloved snake . sue

sue
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  19:08:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad Kellogg's enjoyed the stairs ...just be careful if she is going in and out the spindles that she doesnt lose her grip and fall. You can also make obstacle courses for her using shoes boxes and other items...as long as you avoid anything with sharp edges or corners.

Is this the feeding programme suggested by the vet? The problem with corns is that in the wild they are opportunistic feeders, they never know when or where their next meal will come from. They also have this habit in captivity and will eat everything we offer them. I am not surprised you kept offering her more if you thought she was hungry...our snakes are our responsibility for their health and welfare - we dont want them going hungry.

Not sure about the small mouse every 10 to 14 days, that seems quite a drastic feeding drop...especially considering she was on 1, sometimes 2, large mice once a week. I know it means she will shed the grams but much too quickly. The vet you saw....was it just a normal vet or one that has experience with snakes/exotics?

We all learn by our mistakes, so please dont feel guilty about what has happened with Kellogg. It is what is so great about this forum because by talking on here we can try to avoid some mistakes and when we do make them we can get help to put them right. You have come to the right place !!

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 05/01/2010 19:18:30
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000