help required PLEASE !!!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  12:28:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly let me say hi all, i have recently adopted a corn snake and dont know any thing about them only bits that ive read on the internet, sid as my snake is called as been fine eating ok,but we decided for xmas we would get him a new home(vivariam) he moved in 2 days ago and seem to love it exploring everywhere hiding poping up here there it was brill, but now for some reson he as taken him self under a log in the cold side and just curled up he feel very cold to the touch and dosnt seem to want to go in the warm side at all can anyone tell me is this normal or is sid ill in some way we are very worried for is well being and would appreicate a quick response to our probblem thanks for reading and hope to here from you real soon danny........

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  12:38:26  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey, Welcome to the forums.

Do you also have a hide on the warm side? I only got my first corn snake recently so i am by no means an expert but i read that snakes sometimes feel the need to hide more than the need to regulate their body temperature, that is why it is essential to have a minimum of 2 hides in your tank. One in the worm side and one in the cool side.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 03/01/2010 12:39:07
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  12:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum danny

what are the temps in the viv?
do you have 2 hides?

if you moved him in two days ago he will still be settling in, being in the cold end is not a problem so long as the temps are fine (75F cold 85F hot).. feeling cold to the touch is not anything to worry about either i dont think, my corn spends most of her time in the cold end and is sometimes cold to the touch

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  14:40:21  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  14:45:32  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  16:12:21  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Firstly, Hello and welcome.

Do you have a rough idea of the length of the snake?
what is the viv size in inches?
Is the viv all glass, or wood?
How is it heated?
What substrate do you use?

Sorry for all the questions, but having as much info as possible can help us as well, although it's highly likely he's just having a couple days of chilling after having a nose around the viv.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  22:13:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  00:11:19  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, take a deep breath and try not to panic. I only recently adopted a corn and only had the equipment he came with. The guys on here are great for pointing you in the right direction. I'v had a bit of a panicky moment today as mine has hid under his water bowl, of all things, in the cold side of his faun all day and didnt even seem to move when we changed his water. Thankfully i saw him moving about quite happily tonight after i had turned all the lights in the room down low and the house was quiet. He seemed to enjoy exploring the glove my son put in there so Alice gets used to his smell.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  00:51:14  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

He seemed to enjoy exploring the glove my son put in there so Alice gets used to his smell.

That is actually a pretty good idea, at the minute casper is very weary, i bought her last tuesday so the only time i put my hand in the tank is when i am changing his water and changing any wet substrate. Therefore my scent is only really in the tank once a day for how ever long it lingers around.

Casper is a very weary snake and although she dosn't necesarily slither away when i put my hand in the tank you can tell she is very weary and scared, i wonder if doing something like this would help to calm her...

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  02:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Danny! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am not sure how much information you have managed to find from your looking on the internet, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know...but it is better heard twice than not at all.

The forum provides great information. Hopefully you have already looked at the care sheet on here (http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm), lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133. On these you will find the information about needing 2 hides so your snake can choose to be either in the hot or cold end and still have somewhere to hide. You will also find what temps are necessary and the equipment you need to create and monitor that temperature.

To make sure that Sid is ok, we really do need Kehhlyr's questions answered. I would also be interested to know how long you have had Sid, how old he is, what he is feeding on. As much info as possible means we can help as much as possible...if there is a problem, which we dont know yet.

When you first got him you were hopefully told the one-week rule...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. Obviously you are past this, but even moving Sid to a new viv will need a settling in period. Is there anything in his new viv from his old one, that has his own smell on it? Leave him for another few days before you start to handle and feed him again.

Unfortunately with many pet shops you cannot trust what they are telling you . Double check anything you have been told with us on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer, if not then dont hesitate to ask!

When you adopted Sid I hope you got as much info about him as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog poos !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help...http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

I know you are worried about Sid, and to us that is a good sign cos it shows how much you care . You have come to the right place to get answers and support, I know this forum has kept me sane when I have been worried about Kellog. But it is most likely that Sid is just settling in as we have said, so try not to panic (a lot easier typed than done I know!)

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is **** and I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 04/01/2010 02:43:07
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  23:19:22  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Danny, welcome to the forum.
I would say he is still settling in. Also what could also play a part in the new home is the transition from any cover he may have had in his old home compared to his new home. If his enclosure was only small and he has moved to a bigger one then you may need more or bigger cover if you haven't already got some. How big is he as well? There is a debate about whether snakes get stressed in enclosures that are too big for them, personally I disagree with this and think it's more to do with cover, but you can't discount the possibility. As the others have said, temperatures as well.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  02:00:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Danny, LittleMick has made a really good point...which is why it is important knowing how big he is, how big his last viv was, what size he has moved into, and finally what is in the new viv now (along with other questions asked already asked!! ).

Again I will ask whether there is anything from his old viv in his new viv to help him settle in with having his own smell around him. May be worthwhile putting an item of your clothing in his viv as well, so your smell is in there. This might reassure him (best suggestion I have heard is a knee high sock with the foot cut off...that way snake cant get stuck in foot end and wont be overwhelmed by foot smell !).

I hope he has begun to put in more of an appearance over the last few days.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

134 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  23:04:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome!

I had the same problem with my corn when I first got her, I spoke to the pet centre where I got her and they recommended swapping the hide she preferred to the warm end as she may feel safer in that one.

Obviously as your viv is new and he's only just moved in, maybe he needs a bit of time to get used to his new surroundings, mine often swops about from the cold side to the warm side.

Tina and Medusa x

1.0.0 normal corn - Medusa
1.1.0 cats - George and Meg
0.0.0.4 Giant African Snails

Location Cranleigh, Surrey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000