Hello all and Happy New Year
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  14:07:50  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi all. I have just adopted my first snake. An 18 month old orange corn. Since I'm a complete novice I have no clue what morph (flavour lol) it is. I say I have adopted it, it is actually my 13 year old sons but we are learning together.

I have been facinated with snakes for a long time, ever since my first visit to White Post Farm and I was first in the line to have a hold of one of the snakes there. It's great to be on here with people who share my enthusiasm as it's hard to find people to discuss it with. So many people don't like snakes.

I hope you will all forgive any stupid questions I ask. This is such a new and exciting venture for us, I just want to learn as much as I can.

Hopefully will get a photo on shortly

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  14:36:31  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that no questions on here are regarded as silly. It is quite hard to talk about snakes to people because once. Get started I can't really stop LOL. Imglad you have found an enthusiasm for snakes and that many more people are ( as I am) and the more expeirienced keepers can continue to pass their knowledge on to beginers like us so we can make our snakes life as happy as possible. Happy new year

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  14:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy new year, I started with one Snake after I went to Egypt and handled a cobra. I Now have 4corns and love all of them.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  18:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karen! It is lovely to welcome you officially to the forum! You will find that this is a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus . Not sure what you already know about snakes, so apologies for if I am telling you stuff you already know, but better told twice than not at all.

I cant remember how long you have had your snake but a very important point is the one-week rule - no handling or feeding for the first week after getting it. This gives it time to get over the stress of the move and get used to its new environment. All you should do is change the water daily and straighten the substrate, which means the snake has a chance to get used to your smell. I know this is a very frustrating time cos all you want to do is handle your new snake, especially when kids are involved, but it is worth doing for your snake's benefit. You may be just past this stage....but thought it worth a mention. If you were not told about it (and unfortunately few people are) then it may be worthwhile starting it from now, especially if your snake is showing any signs of stress.

The care sheet on here is very good (http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm), lots of information for new snake owners. You can also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

As Iamfastcars has said - No question asked on this forum is a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! Use the search option in top right corner to get information and if you cant find the answer there then ask!! Unfortunately pet shops often give 'questionable' advice , so please check out on here anything you are told just to make sure that what they have said is right.

I hope when you got your snake you got as much info as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog poos !

Unwritten forum rule- pics as soon as possible! This link will help... http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

A warning - Keeping corns is very addictive....most of us start out with one and the lucky ones move on from there while others who are not so lucky try to contain their jealousy!!

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 01/01/2010 18:18:06
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  18:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and Welcome!
Congratulations for your new snake :)
The Guys and Gals on here are really friendly and knowledgeable :)
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

nails
Hatchling

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  21:34:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and Welcome
i have been on this site a few days now and must say how friendly and helpful everyone has been, we brought a corn for our daughter and ended up coming out the shop with a Royal Python too!!!!!

1 Carolina Corn- Wizard, 1 Anery corn- Epi, 1 snow corn Casper
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  02:27:58  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  09:41:59  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi nails, I'm already gettin tempted to get another one. Mind you, i need a bigger house first

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  21:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome
The forum is great i havent long joined myself.

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  22:16:37  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Happy newyear

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  23:22:20  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi kdlang, welcome to the forum, and happy new year. Glad to see another enthusiast on here.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000