Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  08:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night was feed night for Stella, it was her 3rd feed with me. She has had 1 pinkie 2 weeks ago, then i moved her to double pinkies last week (friday) and last night i offered her the same again.

I offered them the same way, same method of defrosting, in the same tub, at the same time.

She had shed yesterday morning and seemed really hungry, she had been out and about all day.

She ate the first one almost straight away, but wouldnt touch the second one. I left her in the RUB for 40 mins with the 2nd pinkie. Then put her and the pinkie in the faun, but after 1 hour she still hadnt touched it, so i took it out.

Is this anything to worry about? Should i leave it 7 days now until i feed her? Ive been feeding every 6 days, was planning on feeding every 5 days as of this week.

Thanks

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  10:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'd go to five days at this point.

Re second pinkie, it may have become a little cold by the time you were ready to offer it. What I do here is give the second mouse a quick warm up in a glass of warm water just before I serve it. Of course, check it's not too warm before it is offered.

Also you could try braining it just before you give it to her.

So here's what I'd do if I were you: you fed yesterday, so next feed would be Tuesday. Do everything as normal, make sure the mice are warm enough, and before you give the second one, pop it into a sandwich bag and into a glass of warm water, take out, check it's not too hot, and serve with compliments of the chef.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  10:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay thanks, to be honest they werent warm at all. They had been defrosting for about 6 hours, they were room temp, but the kitchen is pretty cold, so they werent warm, but it was the same last week and she took them both then?

I will do what you suggest above though.

So you think i should start feeding every 5 days as of now?

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  10:35:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also should i continue feeding in the RUB? I dont want her to get into the habit of feeding in the faun/viv.

Ta

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  11:41:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Ok. Yes, I would go with 5 days intervals at 2 pinkies a meal, and make them warmer than room temp.
She's an ace for having eaten them cold before, but it would be a lot better if you could make them warmer for her, I think that's what's needed. Looking forward to reading good news on Tuesday .

As for where to feed, I feed mine in a feeding box rather than their usual environment, for several reasons: (1) No substrate is the feeding box (2) I have better control of what is happening, better access to the snake, I can drag the mouse at the botton of the feeding box or dangle it from above, and (3) hopefully, this sends a clear signal to the snakes that when I put my hand into their vivs they should not mistake it for food at any time .

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  12:35:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hawkeye.

I thought she was a good feeder as she has taken them cold and she also had a pinkie on the first day i got her, after all the stress of moving etc (i know now that i shouldnt of).

I will try again tuesday then and warm them up.

I feed in the RUB/Feeding Box for all of those reasons that you mentioned above.

Should i keep the feedings 5 days apart for all the time shes on double pinkies? And what about when shes on fuzzies? Will it then be 6 days?

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  12:38:56  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
she just needs a bit of time to adjust, when increasing food increase the number of days between feeds, personally i'd go for a 7 day gap. when first moving up to multiple food items you often find they'll take 2 at one feed, maybe 2 the next feed then drop back to one again for a feed or two then back up to two..........basically don't worry

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  12:48:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks GP.

My original plan was to leave her 7 days now, so hopefully she will be quite hungry and devour the 2 pinkies.

But then Hawkeye suggested feeding her in 5 days and maintain that.

I think the feeding sheet ive got at home says 6 days for 2 x pinkies and fuzzys.

Its all conflicting but im sure its all good sound advice in one way or another.

I will see how shes looking on tuesday (after 5 days) and see if she is out looking for food. If not i will leave her till the wednesday or thursday.

Either way i will try her with the 2 pinkies and warm them up for her, this was maybe my mistake last night.

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  13:11:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad that Stella ate the one pinkie and I dont think you need to worry that she didnt take the 2nd, as GP has just said sometimes with multiple feeds they may take the 2 or just 1. Personally I would leave it for the 7 days, because then you can be sure she will be hungry and waiting those 2 extra days wont do her any harm.

It is definitely wise to make sure the pinkies are warm, especially because the weather is so cold now they may be defrosted but not warm. When they are warm they also smell more which hightens the snake's feeding instinct and could encourage her to take the 2nd pinkie.

You must not feel that you have made a mistake, it is all a learning experience....and that is what this forum is here for, to help and support you with that. So no beating yourself up about getting it wrong!!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  13:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay thanks Kellog. I will be the first to admit ive got LOADS to learn. But theres no other way of learning than just doing it. I spent weeks reading books and the internet before i got her, but theres no amount of reading that can compare to owning one and learning as you go along.

Will let you know how i get on next week, Hopefully with some cool pics!

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  13:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've had a similar issue with Kizzy. She was on double pinks for about 6 feeds, but the last two feeds she's only wanted one. However, we're not worried as she's due going in blue, but we imagine she'll be back on doubles for two feeds post shed and then onto small fuzzies. (While Kizzy is blue she will refuse food, however Ziggy NEVER refuses food! He ended up with three the other feed as Kizzy only wanted one. He's now taken his first small fuzzie and he's in blue! Good fat boy!)

As the others have said, try not to worry too much (I know it's hard!) and try them warmer next time. I'm sure that HawkEye will agree after dealing with the Shen saga that as long as she's eating something then there's nothing to worry about.

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  13:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay thanks Kizig.

Out of interest, how old is Kizzy? And how long is she?

I was hoping that Stella would take double pinkies for about 8 weeks and then get her onto fuzzies but we will see how she goes.

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  14:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Gaz, just a quick word so that you have the scale of things here:

If I were ever in real trouble with a snake, I would turn straight to GP for assistance. Her advice and actual help (she sent me something in the post) has probably saved the life of one of my snakes. Try going first with what she suggests.

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  14:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hawkeye, much appreciated.

GP and Kellog have basically said the same thing so i will go with that.

Thanks alot

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  14:28:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's around 5 months and 19-20" long and she weighed 26g last week. Ziggy is the same age and roughly the same length at the moment. He now weighs 36g and is on fuzzies.

I'm sure Stella will be back on double pinks soon!

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  15:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stella is the same age as yours, around 14" and 20g, so a bit behind.

Im sure she will be fine, she seems pretty healthy.

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  19:55:09  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz_1989

My original plan was to leave her 7 days now, so hopefully she will be quite hungry and devour the 2 pinkies.

But then Hawkeye suggested feeding her in 5 days and maintain that.

I think the feeding sheet ive got at home says 6 days for 2 x pinkies and fuzzys.

Its all conflicting but im sure its all good sound advice in one way or another.

when you're first introducing more food ideally increase the days between feeds but then as they get used to that amount of food then move back down to 5-6 day intervals. so you're just stretching it out at first. there's no right or wrong way, 5 days is a minimum interval really, some people feed weekly regardless with no detriment to the snake it would just grow more slowly and make less poop

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  18:42:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update...

I know that i was advised to wait 7 days before feeding her again after her only taking one of the two pinkies last week, but, last night she was really looking around the viv like she was after food. She was all over the place licking her tongue out, and she was the same today.

So, tonight (5 days on) i decided to try her with 2 pinkies, warmed them up as i was told...

She took them both almost immediately! I was really pleased.

And for about 40 mins after i put her back in she was still looking around for food! Whereas she normally just goes straight into warm hide. So i dont think it will be long before shes on to fuzzys :-D

I dont want people to think i ignored there advice, by not waiting the 7 days, i really appreciate any advice i get on here, i just wanted to go with my instinct and HOPEFULLY i am learning as i go along with things like this.

Thanks alot to all,

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  10:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is really good news Gaz, so glad Stella ate properly. You obviously did what you thought was right and obviously the advice on the forum is just that, advice. You went by what you saw your snake doing and that is great, if you feel you are beginning to be able to read her behaviour like that. Do take your time moving onto fuzzies until you are happy that she has got over her experience and is feeding regularly on the pinkies.

So pleased for both of you!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  08:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Kellog,

I was pleased like you say, that i think i am starting to read her a little bit and know what she wants.

Im really happy with how she is progressing, she is obviously under-size for her age from the maintenance diet, but since ive got her she is growing in front of my eyes.

She was lost in the faun when i got her, and now she stretches out all around it and takes up the front and the side of the faun!

I was thinking about upgrading her soon.

Do you think i should get something like this (link below) to last her a bit longer before getting her a 3' Vivarium?

This is a bigger faunarium, its 18" x 11" and 6" Tall.

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=1893&ProductGroupID=947

Or should i just get her a 2' or 3' Vivarium now?

She is about 16" long and growing fast, Her faunarium is roughly 10" x 6" or there abouts.

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  12:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do people think about the new faun/viv?

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000