flake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  14:56:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi thare i just got my first corn snake on friday the 20th the guy that sold me him had put him in his new viv that i orderd nearly 2 weeks ago so would he be used to his viv? i made sure a done all the right things i got him insured took him to the vets(vet said he is in exelent condition) and he has been out wraped round me. his temps are 28 + 20 is that ok for him. i have been told that because he is in a high traffic area (in my hall) he needs stickers on the glass doors so that i can see in but he cant see out is that right?
thanks kieran

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  15:01:11  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
he should be used to the new viv but it would still be advisable to leave him to get used to your smell, try putting a bit of your used colthing in there like a sock so he can know its you. Temp sounds about right and im not so sure about the stickers so wait for other people for that one congrats on your new snake btw

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  15:08:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Keiran, welcome to the wonderful world of corn snakes!

Firstly, how big/old is your snake and how big is the viv? Big spaces can stress corns unless fully packed out with plants, hides, branches, fake plants etc. Eg: a 3 foot viv is big enough for a fully grown adult, whilst a small faunarium or rub is fine for a hatchling.

Well done for taking him to the vets, very sensible pet ownership, but tbh I dont think many of us bother with insurance for our snakes.

All new snakes should be given at least a week to settle in and recover after the move with no feeding and no handling, just a water change daily. However you got your corn on the 20th so this doesnt really apply to you anymore!

Hot end temp is fine, cold end is maybe a little too cold, needs to be up around 22-24c really. How are you heating the viv, and is your heating attached to a stat, monitored by thermometers, ideally digital ones?

As for the placement of the viv, is there no where else you can put it? High traffic areas cause stress to snakes- too much going back and forth, vibrations and noise. Do you mean reflective stickers? I can understand the reasoning but corns are solitary animals and being able to see "another snake" in the viv all the time may be stressful. I would consider re-thinking your viv placement.

Hope this helps x

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  15:19:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he is in a 2 3 ft viv he was in a 4 ft in the pet shop i spent around £400 pounds for him and the viv and the set up i have:
2 thermostats
1 water dish
2 hides
uv strip lights
heat rock
4 plastic plants

heat mat that isent connected to a thermostat but is moneters by the 2 stats i have
1 log because he likes to clib
he is 2 years old he is 4 1/2ft it was the vet that said about the stickers all the lights and heat sorsed are on timers that the guy from the shop set up for him
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  15:26:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get the heat rock out ASAP! They are deadly for snakes, they don't feel heat like we do and can burn themselves to death. Again, take it away now!

Did you mean to say 2 thermostats or did you mean thermometers? your mat needs to be connected to a stat for the reasons above, mats can get to around 50c + which will kill your snake. A stat is essential!

Lights aren't needed for corns, and can be annoying. They are more for our pleasure than their well being. Make sure the light isnt giving off too much heat either.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  15:33:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
took the heat rock out i ment to say thermometers and whare would i get a thermostat well the light gose on at 9 in the morning a gose of at 5. i was told to feed him monday so i tried he struk and coiled but never ate it, i was told he done that in the pet shop i was got worried when he said his last feed was 2 weeks ago but the vet said he is just winding you up he will eat when he is ready
thanks for all your help
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  15:45:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did the shop you got him from not stock thermostats, You must get one very soon. You can buy them on online retail sites too. Try-
http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/

Snakes dont "wind you up" when feeding, he was probably stressed by the move and needed to be left quiet a little longer. Try again this coming monday.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  15:49:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanks for all your help and hopfully me and my boy have a long happy time togeter i dnt no yet how to addpics yet but when i do i will post a pic of my golden boy thanks again
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  15:51:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to post pics upload the photos to photobucket, and then paste the image code into your post. There is a dedicated photo section on the site, so have fun, and cant wait to see your snake! x

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  16:01:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hope thisworks
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  16:02:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got it
Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  16:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that is a very handsome snake! congratulations!

zan x
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  16:23:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  18:19:46  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
he's a little beauty, congrats :)

your set up sounds fine, except for 2 small points: theres no real need for lighting, and you will need a thermostat on your heat source to prevent it getting too hot for him.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2009 :  03:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think you have been given all the advice you need by those experienced enough to know best!

So all I will add is what a beautiful snake Flake is, lovely markings. Look forward to seeing more pics soon.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2009 :  12:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is anothe wee pic of flake

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: