Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  11:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For anyone who has a adult snake not eating at the moment
Sherbert my 3 yr old has started eating again after 3 mnth of fasting
She shed this week so I thought id give it a try not her regular feeding day not holding out much hope, id got used to removing the rat uneaten (she had never strike fed).

She was losing some body fat, but had been a bit chubby before, so I decided to go for a small weaner rat instead of the medium / lge she usually has

I gave it a wiggle in front of her she just moved out of the way so I thought ah well I,ll just warm it a bit more the leave it on her bark hide where I normally leave it

Just before I put it down I thought id give it another try......bang she nearly took my hand off

Never seen her strike before, don't know what I did right but who cares she ate and I was like a proud father lol

So the moral of the story is just persevere guys

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  11:49:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice that she stuck at it - always good to see them do that!

although rats arent particularly good for corns - they are really high in fat, mice are better if she will eat them

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  13:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Some snakes do prefer their prey being dragged along the surface rather than being dangled in front of them. If that's what got her to take, then there is no reason why you shouldn't offer it to her that way again. It actually makes sense because in nature mice don't fly in front of the snakes .

What kind of a snake is she? I got curious because you said you were feeding her on rats.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  13:40:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's amel, corn, and she has alwaze eaten rats, I think when I first started keeping snakes I was advised to feed rats, so like most I continued with what I know worked for my slitherers.

I have heard all the pros and cons since then but if it works then I leave it alone, in the wild they would eat any rodents that had the misfortune to scamper by
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  13:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But as a captive animal we have to provide the best possible diet for them. Which for corns is mice.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  14:10:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the lesson, that will teach me to share my good news
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  14:15:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a lesson, just advice.

You said your snake was chubby, rats are fatty, put 2 and 2 together?

That'll teach me for trying to be helpful towards others.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  14:20:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think if you read the second paragragh of the second post you may get an inckling I didn't need help on this subject, but thancks all the same
Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  16:27:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey there everyone! let's try not to argue, sexybear was only trying to be helpful and sprout is just chuffed his snake is eating anything! Please dont be offended but people are very passionate about corns here and we want to make sure everyone's got the best and most up to date information, we wern't judging, but were just trying to help you out! It's OK if you want to stick with rats I guess, but sexybear was just saying that perhaps mice were a more nutritional option for your snake and if you were having problems with chubiness in the past then perhaps the rat diet was causing that, but I'm sure pleanty of people do things slightly differently and have good experiences - just please remember that everyone here loves their snakes, and other peoples and everyone just wants the best for them, at the end of the day!

zan x
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2009 :  04:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well put zandefloss! What sexybear has said is right and 'although in the wild they would eat any rodents that had the misfortune to scamper by', in the wild they would also be having to hunt for their food and would be burning off any extra fat doing this. Our snakes are captive and although they are handled they do not get the same amount of exercise as a wild corn would and therefore do not burn off the extra calories diet of rats would give them. Although this was the original advice you were given the fact that your corn was a bit chubby does make it look like it could do with a change of diet.

I can understand how excited you were to get her to eat again. From the point of us first getting Kellog (our 4yr old corn) he decided to go on a 13 week fast. As total newbies we knew nothing and it was only with the help, advice and support of this forum that I remained sane...and then one day I dangled the mouse not expecting anything and bam..he struck. I dont think I have felt that much excitement in years!! Sad I know!!

SexyBear - you are so good at giving advice and so needed on this forum but you do tend to get very touchy if someone doesnt agree with you totally. It is such a shame because your advice is always sound but your reaction can sometimes be off putting to the newbies. We forum members know you are only doing this because of your passion for snakes and you want the best...but let us back you up rather than go on the defensive alone. You know I will always support you and fight your corner, so no need for you to!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000