New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

134 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  19:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does size matter?

After spending some time contemplating how to measure my corn (I live on my own!) I decided to put a tape measure on the sofa, locked open and let Medusa slither along it, I got an approx measurement of 21 inches, she is 8 and a half months old, does this sound about right?

Also how on earth do you weigh a corn without it slithering away? (she's quick) Someone suggested putting her inside a sock, lol. I think my kitchen scales may be too small and my bathroom scales certainly too large!

Tina and Medusa x

1.0.0 normal corn - Medusa
1.1.0 cats - George and Meg
0.0.0.4 Giant African Snails

Location Cranleigh, Surrey

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  19:55:31  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i use this to measure my snakes

http://www.serpwidgets.com/Apps/measure.html

as for weighing i weigh mine when there in there feeding tubs before i feed them

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  20:00:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have no idea about size and importance of said size, sorry

but to weight my adult corn (very very quick and uncooperative at times lol) i put her in a lunch box, then put her and the lunch box on the kitchen scales, works a treat
(just remember to subtract the weight of what ever you are puttin your lil snakey in ha!)

are you kitchen scales digital or not?
my scales only measure 6inches, yet i can fit a big lunch box on them

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix

Edited by - n/a on 24/11/2009 20:01:37
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  03:35:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a great idea about measuring Kellog, which I know is going to be laughed at by most of the forum members! Havent tried it yet but will do soon.

Am going to make a tunned just the width of Kellog and a little bit taller than him out of lego/duplo, and make it just longer than I think he is and block off the end. That way he can go in to hide, it will keep him relatively straight and I can make a mark on the tunnel where his tail ends. I know it wont be 100% accurate but at least it will give me a rough idea - and the fun of playing with duplo!

For weighing I do as Chrissy does...put Kellog in a shoe box whose weight I already know, weigh it, then subtract the weight of the box. I know with some scales you can put the box on the scales, return the scale to 0 then add snake.

(By the way - love the new sig Chrissy)

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  08:22:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Am going to make a tunned just the width of Kellog and a little bit taller than him out of lego/duplo

Kellog PLEASE take photos and post them on the DIY section - that would be so funnyLOL

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  10:06:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

I had a great idea about measuring Kellog, which I know is going to be laughed at by most of the forum members! Havent tried it yet but will do soon.

Am going to make a tunned just the width of Kellog and a little bit taller than him out of lego/duplo, and make it just longer than I think he is and block off the end. That way he can go in to hide, it will keep him relatively straight and I can make a mark on the tunnel where his tail ends. I know it wont be 100% accurate but at least it will give me a rough idea - and the fun of playing with duplo!

For weighing I do as Chrissy does...put Kellog in a shoe box whose weight I already know, weigh it, then subtract the weight of the box. I know with some scales you can put the box on the scales, return the scale to 0 then add snake.

(By the way - love the new sig Chrissy)

xxx

ha i do love that idea, sounds better every time i hear it
and thanks for liking my sig, im going all philosophical at the moment

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  10:13:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I weigh mine on my tiny digi kitchen scales, inside a sturdy box. 1 is over 5 foot and the other is over 3. The box makes sure no coils or loops hang over the edge and touch the counter top.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  10:13:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The kitchen scales I have here will allow to Zero at any point. So I put the feeding box on it, zero it, add snake, et voila.

For a snake that won't stay in the box long enough to get a reading: devilmistress here was talking at one point about putting the snake into a pillow case, which reminded me there were also those special cloth bags for carrying them around and can probably be used for weighing too, inside a large kichen bowl. So bowl onto scales, add snake in pillow case or cloth bag, take a reading, remove snake, then weigh just the pillow case/bag inside the bowl, subtract, and you have it.

Go to Top of Page

Jo-And-Danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  10:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
at the minute our snakes are really small so make them slither on top of the tape measure (them metal-type ones builders use )

as for weighing, we weigh the RUB then put them in and pop them on the kitchen scales

~The Zoo~
Freddie // Ghost corn
Brittany // Collie cross dog
Billie // BSH Cat
Millie // BSH Cat
Some Tropical Fishiesss

Wish List......
Another doggy
Royal Python (norm or pastel)
More Fishiesss!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

134 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  18:04:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone, I think I will attempt the box on scales idea, I wish I had done it all 5 weeks ago when I got her! If anyone has a corn between 8months and a year, please can you let me know how long they are?

Thanks again.

Tina and Medusa x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  18:11:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey- I was told when I bought Slinx on Saturday that she hatched on 02/10/2009- so that would make her 7 1/2 weeks old- and she is already approx 13 inches long- (She is in a 12"x12"x12" Viv- and when she is Snaking-Around- the last inch of her tail doesnt quite fit along the end of the glass) Now- Im thinking that maybe she is a bit older? I dont know- and cant weigh her yet- as she is in "1'st Week Ownership Relaxing 'Getting to know You' Time"!!!

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

134 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  18:16:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know either lol, she's my first snake which is why I would really like to know the length of other people's about the same age as mine. I know she's healthy enough and eating wellso I'm not concerned, more curious!
x

Tina and Medusa x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  18:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto!!
Ditto!!
Ditto!!
:)

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

Paul Hume
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2009 :  08:15:26  Show Profile  Visit Paul Hume's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link to the measuring software, absolutely brilliant.

Our House:
2 x Carolina Corns
1 x Snow Corn
1 x Amel Corn
1 x Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2009 :  17:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is no set length for a snake at certain ages,
mont (my eldest snake at 5months) is roughly 17/18inches long but Libs who is coming up to 4months is cruising in at 16.5inches..
it all varies between snakes and feeding patterns

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000