my adult corn will only eat chicks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  21:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
one of my adults wont eat mice anymore he will only eat chicks but heard that its no good for him. Can i put him on to rats as he seems to want a bigger prey object.

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  03:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not particularly experienced where feeding snakes is concerned but from what I have learnt chicks hold very little nutrition for a snake - they are purely bones and feathers. Rats are thought to be too fatty for a snake and therefore bad for their health if fed over a period of time. You could try feeding it extra large/jumbo mice scented with chick. My corn is nearly 4 and a half years old, just over 720g, and is eating one jumbo mouse every 10 days. How old and heavy is your corn? How often are you feeding it? Has it ever been on mice?

Hopefully a more experienced owner can give you better advice soon.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  18:26:55  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this can be a bit gruesome, but here goes anyway....

slice open the chick, gut it and fill it with a mouse. If he takes it, then the week after do the same but remove the legs and wings from the chick. If this works, next feed take off legs, wings, head - keep going like that, taking more and more chick away each time until you're back to mouse :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory

Edited by - eeji on 13/11/2009 18:27:25
Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  19:44:37  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

this can be a bit gruesome, but here goes anyway....

slice open the chick, gut it and fill it with a mouse. If he takes it, then the week after do the same but remove the legs and wings from the chick. If this works, next feed take off legs, wings, head - keep going like that, taking more and more chick away each time until you're back to mouse :)

Agreed with the above, but try scenting first like kellog suggested

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  05:12:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try a method called dressing up the mice, cut some of the skin including feathers of the chick and put it on the mice head like a hat, this normally works like treat with snakes that will only take chicks :D

My collection:
1.0 Amel corn
0.1 Anery corn
1.0 Creamsicle corn
0.1 Albino cali king
1.0 Mexican bairds rat

hatchlings (september 09)
1.0 Snow
0.1 Anery
0.1 Amel
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  10:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good posts, scented I'd go for first. I don't really fancy making a mouse a chicken skin coat.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  17:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Good posts, scented I'd go for first. I don't really fancy making a mouse a chicken skin coat.

lol looks pretty funky though lmao

My collection:
1.0 Amel corn
0.1 Anery corn
1.0 Creamsicle corn
0.1 Albino cali king
1.0 Mexican bairds rat

hatchlings (september 09)
1.0 Snow
0.1 Anery
0.1 Amel
Go to Top of Page