the Baytril thread... PIC HEAVY!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  14:25:03  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
a little difficult to see as i'm not known for my photography skills!! the bit i'm trying to show is where it says 'wear impervious gloves when handling the product'. if there is any doubt please let me know on this thread and i'll get a better photographer to take clearer pictures.

pic of a bottle of Baytril...look under the boxed bit of text

pic of the box the bottle of Bayril is in...look under 'Warnings'

pic of the page relating to Baytril Oral 2.5% in the NOAH (National Office of Animal Health) Compendium of Data Sheets for Animal Medicines 2009... look under 'User Safety' on the right hand column

so there it is in black and white....

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  14:46:06  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Some quotes from the original thread...

quote:
Originally posted by LisaLQ

...this drug is not harmful to us.... But someone is prepared to call all those vets and peoples experiences wrong based on something they read in a book.... It's just unnecessary drama, and scaremongering... but dont presume we need to cover ourselves in rubber to protect ourselves from something that only one person believes is harmful.

quote:
Originally posted by KathyM

...I've sought advice today on this and so far the only person that thinks a small amount of Baytril is dangerous via contact is ginger pony... I have consulted the NOAH compendium website and their warning is generic....

quote:

Have spoken to the vet tonight, she LAUGHED, and said all you need to do is wash your hands if you spill it....

quote:

Ps. You were also asked to provide evidence by KathyM...Perhaps you could email her the evidence you have, so that she can learn from you, instead of expecting her to take your word.

Respect where respect is due, I dont have respect for people who tell you you're wrong when you're not....

i would agree entirely with that last comment... and invite others on the forum to make an informed decision, based on the information provided, whether they wear impervious/latex gloves for their own safety, as recommended by the drug manufacturer, when using Baytril.

as a final point of note, other antibiobic solutions commonly used in the veterinary industry, such as Synulox palatable drops, have no such warning on their labels, packaging or datasheets.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  16:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The instructions are very clear, thanks.

I want to take this elsewhere for a moment:

The reason I like this forum so much is that in the short time I've been here I noticed that the atmosphere in general broadcasts friendship and a lot of willingness to help each other. It is rare that someone shows up here with the purpose in mind to win some one-upmanship competition, which was something evident in the responses you received in the original thread. I totally believe the person who disagreed with you had a very different experience and perhaps was really surprised at what you said to them, but they worded their responses in a way that broadcast contempt/ridicule and hence the reservation most people here felt towards them. Unfortunately, it happened on a thread that dealt with a crucial health and safety issue, so on top of having to insist on the correct procedure there was the unpleasantness of dealing with efforts to undermine your authority and knowledge in general.

That's how I read it, and if I'm off track here just tell me, it's just that I don't want the occasional bad mannered person to put you off.
for being there for us and for our snakes!

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  16:28:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good post Ali, its nice to see fact rather than opinion on this subject.

Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  16:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info GP! Will definately refer back to this thread if we ever need to use the stuff!

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/

Edited by - kizzig on 10/10/2009 16:31:22
Go to Top of Page

solid
Hatchling

United Kingdom
428 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  16:31:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
clear-as-day evidence, but maybe not everyone will read instructions and warnings. my guess is that she`ll probably still ignore you

3.1.1 corns - solid,liquid,ocelot,fox + raiden / 0.0.1 missing MBK - raven
PS3id: adam83
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  16:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cant argue with that. Well done for providing evidence to back up your case.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  17:06:45  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks everyone for your kind words of support on this, and the other threads on this subject

and solid how is your corn doing now?

Go to Top of Page

solid
Hatchling

United Kingdom
428 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  17:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lazy as usual, always has been until you get him out then he moves around a bit. still reluctant to feed (again no change) but he only at the last one coz i laid the mouse on top of him while he was curled up in the hide. i`ve tried all sorts to get him to pounce but he just wont have any of it.
thanks for asking

3.1.1 corns - solid,liquid,ocelot,fox + raiden / 0.0.1 missing MBK - raven
PS3id: adam83
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  18:40:16  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dunno why this wasn't stickied.
Makes sense to have it. It is now done.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  21:50:25  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well....there it is in black and white,not a opinion but a proof of fact.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  05:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GP - you know I have put my opinion about this already elsewhere but I just wanted to repeat that in no way should you let a couple of newbies, who feel they know it all, doubt your advice and experience and the help you have given to so many of us. The fact that they went straight onto the attack shows me that they actually didnt have a leg to stand on, whereas you do. You have handled this incident very professionally and have backed up what you said with black and white facts - not that any of us doubted you. It is just a shame they could not be humble enough to wait and see the proof you were offering rather than yell and disappear. You are an integral part of this site and I second everything Hawkeye said - although she has said it a lot better than I ever could cos my brain fog is bad at moment. Stay strong in yourself GP - no doubts....cos remember we dont have doubts in you and we know that where you are not sure you say so and you learn more. Hope I have made some sort of sense! xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  17:45:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to add my two pennorth if i may. Speaking as a newbie myself who does a lot more listening than talking. I was shocked and appalled to read certain comments from Lisalq. When joining any community, whether that be online or in the real world you are dealing with real people. If you were joining a new school or starting a new job or moving into a new neighbourhood would you barge in like a bull in a china shop and upset every other member of that community within 48 hours? You would be a fool to yourself and could only expect a backlash of criticism and ostracism if you did. Which is what has appeared to have occured here.
I pity Lisa. If she is, as she says an older member of the community it would be hoped that she'd learnt to use slightly more diplomatic language by now.

I hope this kind of thing is out of the ordinary because i have found this (my first) forum not only informative, interesting and thought provoking but also incredibly welcoming and FUN!!

A much wiser person than i once told me "If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all" A lesson certain people could use! And to you Gingerpony, don't let this get you down. You are obviously very well thought of and respected by the people who matter on this forum and i'm sure in your personal life. You, quite evidently, know what you're talking about and make it perfectly clear when giving advice if you are unsure of the true facts. I for one would not hesitate in taking advice from you. I have 100% confidence in your Herpetalogical knowledge. I salute you!!!!!

Sorry if I've gone on a bit but people can't be allowed to behave in that way!!!
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  00:19:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much Glenn for putting into words what so many of us who have been around a while feel - and hearing it from a newbie (although I still feeling like a newbie) is very encouraging. It is what attracted me to this forum in the first place and I was worried I might have over-reacted in leaping to GPs defence....but having someone new agree is reassuring. GP - read, take on board and know that you are loved and respected on here, nothing will change that! xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  10:28:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the pictures speak for themselves..
big kudos to GP for posting the pics so that we can all see them

I've learnt loads from GP and I'd follow her guidance any day

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

animal_crazy_lady
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  19:45:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i work in a vets and we are told to wear gloves while handling any medication :)

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2009 :  22:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ha ha ha, I remember this! They were quite rude to me aswell as a I recall it...

Fair play for getting the proof!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000