New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  09:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

Another question please if you dont mind. It has been 48 hours since Chuie was fed, and there was a little present waiting for me in his water bowl, Thanks chuie .

So i cleaned out his bowl, refilled it and he popped his head out so i dared to pick him up. He seemed happy and content, but i only held him for a few minutes as not to over do it.

But when i put him into his viv, he promptly regurgitated one of the pinkies i had fed him. The shop said he was onto 2 mice, but have i overfed him? or should i have not handled him?

He shed yesterday and i took his old skin out etc, this might of been the problem i guess.

Anyone with any ideas what the problem is so i can avoid making him ill in future? Feel quite bad at the moment, i hope it wasn't due to me over handling him

Thanks Guys

May Mother Nature walk beside you always.

Chris x

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  09:58:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
48 hours is the right gap between feeding and handling so i doubt that it was down to over handling... or if it was you are really not to blame.

Maybe the warm end temps are too low, thereby not giving the snake enough heat to digest properly, so that is something i would suggest that you check.

Also, when the shop says that the snake is on two pinkies, did they say what size the pinkies were? Pinky size really can vary dramatically so if it was only on two of the smaller pinkies then i suppose there could be an unintentional overfeeding situation.

So, what i would suggest is this. Check that your warm end temps are between about 27 and 29, maybe try with 2 slightly smaller pinkies for the next feed and maybe leave the snake one extra day to digest the food.

I would not say that any of this is your fault at all, so do not beat yourself up over it.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  13:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The shop gave me the pinkies themselves, they were the smallest they had. Newborns i think they called them or something similar.

He obviously digested one of them, due to the poo in his waterbowl, but the other one didn't appear too. He really doesn't leave his cold hide very much at all. I been wondering if i should change his hides over, so that his favourite is on the warm side, but that seemed a bit cruel to me.

Chris x
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  13:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would certainly be tempted to put his favourite hide on the warm side after a feed, you could do it while he is out (if you feed outside of the viv) and reduce any stress.

Being on the cool side all the time while digesting could certainly cause the second pinky to of not been digested fully so i would certainly look at this as a possible cause. It does however depend on what your cool side temps are.

If you are really concerned that you are over feeding, what you could do is move back down to a single, large pinky and see how that goes. The amount of food that will be lost between two very small pinkies and one large one is not enough to be concerned about.
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  13:49:53  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry to jump in on this topic, a related question if you would please.
If his snake or indeed any of our snakes regurgitate a meal do you at all try to feed them another later on?

Regards
Mick

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  13:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, you should wait a week to let their stomach acids return to a normal level.

Edited by - n/a on 06/11/2009 13:54:48
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  14:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, thanks bioshock, i will wait now until tuesday when he is due to be fed and when i take him out to feed, i will swap over his hides, just to see if it helps him.

Chris x
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  17:44:20  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bio

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  19:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bioshock

I would certainly be tempted to put his favourite hide on the warm side after a feed, you could do it while he is out (if you feed outside of the viv) and reduce any stress.

Erm... bear in mind that a snake will move if it wants to.If your snake is in the cool end then it will most likely be for a reason. Your snake knows its body better than you do, and will move to the warm side when needed.

make sure your snake feels secure enough in its viv to move ends, eg by having plenty of cover to go through to avoid detection by predators! By "forcing" the snake to move by swapping its hides, you may well stress it more.

Check your temps, let his stomach settle and try again next time. It could have been down to stress from shedding.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  04:39:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Part of me agrees with both Bio and SB. If I had to give a reason for the regurge, and the temps in the viv are ok both ends, then I would have thought that it is most likely due to him shedding.

I know he has been out and about during his week settling in period, so he knows where it is warm and where it is cold....he has been exploring so would have thought that it would indicate he has enough cover not to feel too vulnerable although that may be worth looking at.

He took the pinkies well so again I would think it indicates he wanted them and they were the right size (although I know a corns eyes are bigger than its stomach).

You had left him the required period and he had pooed so please dont think there is any fault on your part...you did nothing wrong.

That really leaves him shedding as the only variable. I would guess he was feeling rather tight in his old skin and maybe that slowed his digestion or something like that. I know this sounds disgusting but was the regurge a proper pinky or partial digested? I must admit that I dont feed Kellog when he is 'blue' until after he has shed...it is not as though a few days are going to make any difference. But I know a lot of snakes are happy to eat then. Maybe Elijah is one of those snakes who is happy to eat prior to shed but maybe shouldnt.

Before you stress him out by changing his home around try another feed once you have given his stomach a chance to settle down and leave him for that extra day afterwards before handling him. If his behaviour is the same and he stays in the cool hide and regurges again then I would suggest maybe changing them around, but hopefully that wont happen.

Sorry I can only really repeat what has already been said....but please dont blame yourself at all....it sounds like he would have regurgitated that pinky anyhow and it is better he did than it stayed in his stomach rotting and not being digested.

Let us know how Elijah is doing.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  14:21:19  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  16:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The second pinkie resembled a slug, which was approx 3/4 of the size of the original pinkie. No defining details at all, so it was at least partially digested.

I will take on board what you guys have said and try him this Tueday with 2 again, leaving him for 3 days and if that is fine, then we will put it down to shedding and chalk it up to experience

Chris x
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000