Decisions, decisions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  22:05:51  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I found out today our company is paying out a bonus at Xmas, bout bloomin' time. Anyway, trying to decide what to spend the money on;

1. Prezzies for the family
2. Another Corn setup (geez, it took longer to get addicted to cigarettes, lol)
3. Get a Scorpion
4. Starting buying all the stuff for Elijah's final viv.

Ok, I think it will have to be number 4. Gotta concentrate on teh pets I have first, lol.
Well I know he is only a hatchling, and it will be ages before he needs a viv, I was planning to buy all the bits throughout next year, but in light of this bonus, I think I might just get it all in one bash.

THE VIVARIUM - I know once he is full grown a 3' (36") viv would be adequate, but I was thinking about giving him more room to explore and probably easier to customise. So with that in mind I took a look at my fave herp eshop (888), they have the following in melamine
36" x 24" x 24"
48" x 24" x 24" (probable)
I was also looking at the vivexotic range
VX48 48" x 18.5" x 21"
EX48 48" x 24" x 20.5"
I was even looking at some arboreal vivs, I know Corns are mostly terrestrial, I just want to give him as many options as possible.

CUSTOMISATION - As well as the usual hides and decor that you would see, I want to be able to hang stuff in there, like vines, maybe put branches or something at mid height straight across the viv, now I don't want to use nails as this may harm him, so I want to have certain U shaped bits of wood at various heights on teh side of the viv, then all I have to do is find lengths of wood that fit the length and slot into the U shaped bits. How would it be best to attach these tot the side of the viv? I know aquarium sealant is strong enough for glass, but would I be better off screwing them in place as well? Any advice on customisation would be appreciated.

LIGHTING - Again, I know Corns don't NEED a light, but do any of the members here use them? If so what sort of wattage do you use? And how would you stop it's heat switching off the stat for the heat mat? Would it be set at little power and high enough that the heat mat stat is not affected?

Regards
Mick

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  23:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah go for option 4 or 2!

36x24x24 is fine but if you got the space 48x24x24 is great but you must pack it out with husbandary (hides, foliage etc) if you put him in there before he is adult. (or section off part of the viv then open it all up once he reaches adulthood).

CUSTOMISATION: As you will have time to set up the viv, in regards to the customisation part (I see your logic to the U brackets)... you can attach it with screws, I would pilot drill the screw holes with a drill bit smaller than the screws to avoid spliting the viv or bracket. There is also a wood glue you can get from DIY stores called sticks like S**t, and it does exactly that! Or no more nails. Either would be long since dried before snakey entered the viv and anyway if you used it correctly, no dried glue would be visible or accessable as it will be between two attached pieces of wood.

LIGHTING: If you want a light setup purely for lighting and not heating purposes you can get something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/15-LED-300mm-WHITE-STRIP-STRIP-ONLY-NO-POWER-SUPPLY_W0QQitemZ190341066870QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item2c51363076

You can fix it to the inside of the viv at the top-front where the lip for the top glass runner will hide it. It will be neat as you won't see the light fitting itself, takes up very little room and produces miniscule amounts of heat you don't need any protection around it. This also means it would have no impact on the temperatures/ heat mat and stat situation which other forms of lighting can bring.

Failing that you can just switch to an infra red heat & light setup which obviously gives you some light (barely visible to the snake) and would serve as the heat also. The only disadvantage to this is your heat mat & stat you have now would be rendered useless and would have to buy a bulb (£6), heat proof cable w/plug (£4), ceramic bulb holder (£3) a dimmer stat (£35+) and bulb guard (£15) = £63+

So its upto you. I would build on what you already have so may as well stick with the heat mat and get the LED set up for lighting purposes.

Hope this helps.

Ben

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 06/11/2009 23:19:40
Go to Top of Page

Dazzetski
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  00:37:22  Show Profile  Visit Dazzetski's Homepage  Click to see Dazzetski's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Pretty much as Bengy_s says, i use red leds instead of white as red light doesn't effect snakes, as they can't see it very well, so if you chose to leave them on all of the time it won't effect their day/night judgment & they look reeeeeaaaaallllllyyyyy cool too lol

0.2.0 cats (Spud & Phoebe) RIP Stevie fat man
1.1.0 Royal Pythons (Syd & Sofia)
2.2.3 Corns (Ghost - Hogan, Carolina - Shaggy, Snow - Sparkle, Amel - Tango, Crimson -Fred, Candy Cane - Haribo & Normal Stripe - Go Faster)
0.0.1 Columbian Rainbow Boa (Escobar)
1.1.0 Variable King Snakes (Lancelot & Guinaverre)
0.0.20 fish

Edited by - Dazzetski on 08/11/2009 00:38:18
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  12:23:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
only you can make that decision mick - im going with number two or 4 though, but bearing in mind it will take him about 2years to grow to full size - think of all the dust that new viv would gather when instead you could have a sparkley new exo terra faun for another hatchling..

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  12:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sod the family, and who'd want a scorp

Snakesssssss!!

edit - 'and who'd want a scrop

Edited by - hillzi on 08/11/2009 12:26:54