Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Yet another handling thread but with a difference?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

100 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  18:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all!

Been handling Porphyria quite a lot lately, increasing handling time etc. As she's still young and a bit jumpy I keep it down to about 10 minutes at most and at the moment I don't actively pick her up; I give her the option to climb onto my hands if she's comfortable to do that (figured I'd get her used to being handled before introducing the stress of being picked up!). Obviously there is a lot of advice suggesting to slowly increase the handling time, but of late when I go to put Porphyria back into her faun when time is up, instead of going into her hide (I genereally point her in that direction when we're done) now she'll go in turn around, come back out and climb back out of the faun onto my other hand. No matter how many times I point her back, she'll do the same trick again. It's almost as if she's telling me that playtime isn't over yet. For example, she's just had 30 minutes and still wasn't happy with that; I had to put the lid back on the faun before she could climb out again!

So come on guys, do I have a snake with ADHD or is it just my aftershave?

(Of course, I'm not really complaining about all the handling time )

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  21:19:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like she's getting used to you! Each snake is different but when they young (infact mine is 10 years old and does something similar) they do like action as they can be very energetic. She is probably getting used to the fact that a nice amount of heat can be generated from your arms, hands etc. and through handling her she is a comfortable temperature.

I'm not saying your viv temps aren't fine (they are aren't they!?!) but more the fact that something she can climb on can keep her warm too!

Sounds like you have a happy snake! How old/long/morph?

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  21:31:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like good news to me...she is happy to be handled and wants more. Would be interested to see her reaction if you were to pick her up now instead of waiting for her to climb onto your hand. My Kellog, who is 4yrs old, fights me when I try to put him back in viv....is constantly sliding in opposite direction!
Maybe try not aiming her at her hide, just feed her in and let her go anywhere so she can choose to go in the hide if she wants to.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  21:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
id try picking her up and seeing how she does with that.. there will be times when they hide under a hide and you have to pick her up without her necessarily wanting to come out - all snakes get fussy at times!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

100 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  09:51:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm very pleased with her reactions too! Seems she's quite the attention seeker, just like my other herps! Just thought I'd share the good news with everyone! Will be starting to pick her up and let her explore further up my arms as we both grow in confidence; it's just nice to see the progress so far!

Yeah Benjy, her faun is set up perfectly for her and temps are spot on. She's about 4-5 months old, around 17 inches and a lovely looking charcoal (there are some bad photos in the pics section!)
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  10:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont mean to burst your bubble, but it sounds like she just doesnt want to go back to bed! I dont think snakes actually like being handled, they just tolerate it.

When Casper or Mushu dont want to go back in, I put them in the hallway with all the doors shut so they can amuse themselves.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  11:51:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
found piccy's eventually. they were on pg7 but prob moved now cuz my comment... Any way lovely snake. Mine's anery too. They all look cute when young but you should be chuffed! Now mine's large adult she looks fantastic with the greys and blacks and white (and sometimes yellow). Some ppl prefer the bright colours but these are my favourites. you cant have a better contrast than black and white! Yes snakes just learn that being handled doesn't hurt them but the same time they will enjoy your body heat.

1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  15:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bad english on last post. I meant mine has yellow, and some others do and some don't. Not ''mine is sometimes yellow''!

1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  04:05:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sort of hijacking post....but do any of you talk to and stroke your snake while you are handling it? Kellog has begun to spend more time round me and on my body than he used to, instead of wanting to escape and explore. It is nice that he is so much calmer. But cant stop myself talking to him and running my hand down his back? Would that stress him? xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  13:21:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't say so. I'm the same. LegLess just stays there when I stroke her, whereas my brothers corn NoFeet does stay still when you have good body contact (heat?) but doesn't seem to like being stroked as much so he does try to move away. So I/bro don't do it to him!

Basically if its something Kellog didn't like i'd think he'd react like NoFeet. I know snakes just learn to "tolerate" our handling of them, but at the end of the day if a snake isn't trying to move away from something you do, it must be ok with it!

1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 29/10/2009 13:23:40
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

184 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  18:51:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just sat and played with Dez for nearly 30 mins tonight and talked to him throughout. He not so keen on being stroked but will tolorate it for a while. He was also not meant to be out so long but he kept tightening on my hand when I tried to put him back in but eventually he decided he had enough.

1.0.0 Amel stripe(Dezzi)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Rizzie)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn (Hotaru)
2.2.0 western hognose (Huff and Puff)(Missy and Pharoh)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  01:25:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, seems some don't mind it and others do. I see you got a hoggie, well 2, Laura? Thinking of getting one! Well more I want one (if allowed)! How do you like them as pets. I think they're quite interesting nose, burrowing, playing dead etc!?

1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 31/10/2009 01:26:18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page