Major Stat problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

213 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2009 :  23:45:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the convoluted explanation but I’ve got a stat problem!

I keep the snakes on top of a large sideboard. Today Cinco finally shed (YAY) but his shed slipped down behind the sideboard (!). I dragged it out to retrieve the shed and when I was sliding it back in the stat slipped down somehow and got smooshed between the sideboard and the wall.

At first glance it seemed okay so I put it back and left it. When I checked the therm a bit later though the temp read 31.5degC and a short time later it read 32. It’s now gone down to 30, which is okay but what about if it creeps up in the night??

I appear to have damaged the place where the wire for the sensor enters the unit and I clearly need to get a new stat (I’m struggling though as payday isn’t till Friday and it’s money I don’t really have). So do you think I should unplug the mat for tonight or should I leave it plugged in? Which will be better/worse for the snake?

I know there are some people who don’t have stats for their mats at all (NOT something I would consider) but, at the risk of everyone shouting at me for asking; can I go without one till Monday when I can get to the shop? (My nearest rep shop is closed on Sunday and the other one is 11 miles away (just Googled it!) to walk to, in an area I don't know how to get to by bus ).

HELP!!

0.0.1 Normal Corn (Cinco), 0.1.0 Ghost Motley (Sadie), 1.0.0 Amel Corn (Snuggles), 0.0.1 Classic Corn (The Stig), 1.0.0 Pastel Royal Python (Ba'al), 1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal Python (Paladin), 4.0.0 Cats, 1.0.0 Other Half, 0.3.0 Drains on My Resources (or Daughters)

n/a
deleted

213 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  00:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm replying to my own thread!

Okay I can get to the Rep shop tomorrow (got the bus route online) so I only have tonight to worry about. Off or On, what do you think? Central heating is on in the house, btw. Don't know if that info helps.

By the way an off topic rant about the bus - 11 miles, 3 buses and a total cost of EIGHT quid!! That's 72p per mile. My car (when it's back on the road). The AA reckons the average car costs 14 pence per mile). Un-flipping-believeable. Sometimes I hate living in the sticks .

0.0.1 Normal Corn (Cinco), 0.1.0 Ghost Motley (Sadie), 1.0.0 Amel Corn (Snuggles), 0.0.1 Classic Corn (The Stig), 1.0.0 Pastel Royal Python (Ba'al), 1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal Python (Paladin), 4.0.0 Cats, 1.0.0 Other Half, 0.3.0 Drains on My Resources (or Daughters)

Edited by - n/a on 25/10/2009 00:08:09
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  00:13:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

In case of doubts, better turn the heat mat off. They'll be ok without it.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

213 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  00:20:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much

Go to Top of Page

meggi
Hatchling

United Kingdom
321 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  08:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hii , glad everythings sorted , i had a prob with my stat once and i turned my bedroom heating up a tiny notch and turned his heat right off. He seemed fine when i got back with a new stat, infact i`m not sure he knew what all the fuss was about. lol.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  11:20:13  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
turn it off for a few days until you get sorted, it won't do them any harm. hold off feeding them until you get fixed up too.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  15:14:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
id turn it off until you an get a new one - maybe put a towel over them at night if you are worried about them getting too cold

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

69 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  16:40:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you think about it tho how hot does a heatmat get? but yh obviously you dont want an electrical fault over night.

Joshua.E.S
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  21:11:36  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
an un-statted heatmat will get too hot for a cornsnake

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  00:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can open the unit try rewiring the cable in or re-solder. Should'nt be to much trouble if its just as it goes into the unit.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  03:56:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHNROX

if you think about it tho how hot does a heatmat get? but yh obviously you dont want an electrical fault over night.

How hot a heatmat can get it too hot!!! Snakes burn! xxx

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  08:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen, on the darkside, people did an expermiment and got well over 120* I think, but still why take the risk?
They get too hot for a corn snake.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000