Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  11:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got my first snake from my dads friend, but its vivarium hasen't been cleaned in a month possibly longer is the snake going to be alright?

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  12:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Did he give you the snake and the vivarium? If so, the snake will be as all right in it as it has been up until now , my guess is snakey will be a lot happier if someone cleaned his quarters so how about doing it today?

Or did you just get the snake but have no proper set up for it?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  12:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i got it last night with the vivarium and they are looking for the heat mat i just need to get some supplys tonight including a spare tank before i can clean it up

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  12:39:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by imortalvalk

i got it last night with the vivarium and they are looking for the heat mat i just need to get some supplys tonight including a spare tank before i can clean it up

Ok. Do you have a clean plastic box with a good lid that can be secured? Cut some slits for air and snakey can go in there for the time it takes to clean the viv. Do you have fresh substrate? Did he give you any cleaning products? If not, go to the rep shop and get what's needed, it doesn't cost much, and you can have a clean viv for your snake in next to no time at all.

While we're at it: you need not only the heatmat but before you start using that, two digi thermometers for both ends, and a stat to control the heatmat.

Can you please describe what's in the viv at the moment? Or better still, able to post a pic?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  12:51:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i will be getting most of what i need tonight but im not sure how to insert a picture so ill just describe it, its a small vivarium with a rock style hiding place and water bowl
and reptile substrate.. thats it realy

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  13:04:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Ok. Re posting pics, take a look here:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

Re viv: snakey will need a hide at each end, not just the one hide.

Read the care sheet here:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

and this post:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

These will tell you what you need to know. Any questions, come back and ask, congratulations on getting your first snake!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  13:08:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks ill work on getting everything set up

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  13:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is the pic

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  15:52:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks for the picture, Luke. Some change is needed there, but to give you the best advice a bit more info is needed:

What's the length and the depth of this box? How long is the snake?

Basically, snakey needs two hides, one in the warm end and one in the cool end. Also, he will appreciate something to climb on if possible. However, let's first check that the box itself is not too small for him.

Btw, when do we get to see a pic of snakey?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  15:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
look at the shy snake post, as for lengh i havent got a good look yet

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  16:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hawkeye is right, the snake will need a hide at both ends, and a water bowl as a bare minimum. Fake plants, logs etc are nice added extras that will enrich your snakes life. It may be that the hide and water bowl are too big for the tank, but I have a hide that size and it is quite diddy, so I am thinking that the tank is quite small... if the hides need to be made smaller then loo rolls with a hole cut in the, are perfect for a small snake.

before we can help as to viv sizes though, we will need a rough guesstimate as to the snakes size so that we can give accurate ideas! the rule of thumb is that the snake should be no longer than 1 long side and 1 short side put together (eg: so the snake can stretch down 2 sides.)

while you are waiting for the heat mat, remember not to feed the snake as they need the heat to digest their food. You will need 2 digital thermometers (ideally) and a stat to control the heat mat when it arrives. If the mat doesn't have a stat with it, don't bother using it until a stat is bought. Unregulated heat mats can kill a young snake.

I tend to spot check my vivs daily, and do a full clean and disinfect once a month. Snakes are pretty clean and will only poo a couple of days after a feed. If worried about pests like mites, put the snake on white kitchen roll so you can see things clearly.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  20:12:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the tank is quit small but so is the snake i think its about 2ft

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  20:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How big is the tank?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bilbo
Hatchling

United Kingdom
426 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  20:34:41  Show Profile  Visit Bilbo's Homepage  Click to see Bilbo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have a small tank that roger is in for a bit untill i build the stack. its 15" by 8" and it has 3 hides plants a very small water bowl that he can get under. he is about 18" to 20" long i can sort out some pics if it will help.

also i dont know where you are from or what your long term plans are but i will be selling a woodern 2 ft viv and also a woodern 3ft viv both are as good as new. i also have a mat stat for sale...

and i have just orderd 2 digis they will be here soon.

2 male corns (Bilbo and roger)
1 female corn (lizzie)
2 dogs westies (jock & morag)
5 mirror carp
3 common carp
3 tench
5 gold fish

Edited by - Bilbo on 30/10/2009 20:42:16
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  20:47:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  20:49:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
again the condition was bad when i got him but is clean now

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  22:30:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done for cleaning him out. I've seen him in the other thread, to make him feel more secure how about you put a toilet roll tube in there? He will more secure as he can touch the sides of the tank.

I can knock you up a simple shopping list;

If he's around two feet I'd suggest a RUB - minds not in sync for the correct size £20 ish.
2 hides - toilet roll tubes, well you'd already have those.
waterbowl - you have.
heatmat when it comes, i'd go for a 6" x 11", around £8- 13
habistat matstat - £18-23

May help him shed, and feel more secure; a sanded bleached, dried stick (theres a prepare wood found topic, v. usefull)
and some plastic plants, nothing fancy, the stuff you find in aquariums but make sure nothing is too rough or sharp for snakey!
Go to Top of Page

Bilbo
Hatchling

United Kingdom
426 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  22:36:27  Show Profile  Visit Bilbo's Homepage  Click to see Bilbo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
are you close to surrey??? if you can get to me i would be willing to give you a 35L rub FOC. that will do you for some time.

2 male corns (Bilbo and roger)
1 female corn (lizzie)
2 dogs westies (jock & morag)
5 mirror carp
3 common carp
3 tench
5 gold fish
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  01:23:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think i can get all i need in the next few days, i live in crewe, so no not near surry but thanks for the offer and advice

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  02:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Luke. Everyone has said what you need to do and get, so I wont repeat what has been said. But I will repeat one thing....that snake is blessed to be taken in by you and I am sure you will be a fast learner in corn snake care, especially with this forum to back you up. Ask any questions you want, no matter how silly you think it is....it is better asked and answered than never asked at all.

It is going to take time for the snake to settle down, especially because of its history. I have read your other topic as well so know he is being shy. You just need to be very patient and give him the time and space to get over the stress of his previous owner and the move, and get used to his new clean viv and new surroundings.

Follow all the advice given and you will land up with a very happy snake and a good owner. He is stunning by the way, you are very lucky to have gained a snake like that! xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  02:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks a lot, i know i can count on every one for sound advice and i also know that this snake being the first animal i can actualy call my own will probably be the one that provides me with the best experiences.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000