New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  01:35:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont want everyone to think I'm weird, but is it natural to sometimes find myself being a little fearful of my new snake?

I dont have any problems usually when I'm handling her, or putting my hand in the viv. to clean or change the water - it just catches me every now and again. I think it's mainly a fear of if she escapes and I accidently squish her or kill her somehow, or sometimes I'm scared she will be in my bed and will bite me unexpectedly.

It's really strange, because I really like her and enjoy looking after her and think that snakes are really, really beautiful - nor am I afraid of being bitten, just sometimes for some reason I feel just randomly scared!

Is this normal, or am I weird? Dont think that I dont love her, because I really do, she's beautiful and fun and wiggly and snakey!

zan x

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  01:46:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think all those are just examples of you being scared of doing something wrong in regards to the care of the snake, apart from the being bitten in bed thing.

You clearly do care for your snake and i would say you are not actually scared of the snake itself, so if i were you i would try not to let the fears worry me.

Everybody fears they have got something setup wrong, are going to lose their snake, are going to hurt it accidentally. The vast majority of snake owners never actually do lose or hurt their snake, and the setup... well that is what the forums are here for, it has pretty much all been covered before and the info is there for all potential corn snake owners to learn from.

I do not think you are at all weird, and trust me when i say that the fear does go.
Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  01:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good :) that's awesome! She just seems so delicate, yet so strong, I'm conviced she's just going to disappear one day! She's also the most expensive pet I've ever owned, which makes her feel like a precious vase even more! £80 is a lot of money for a skinty student. Mind you I think I'd feel the same about her if I'd paid 50p!
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  03:32:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I often feel the same as you (except for the bed bit). It is not a fear of your snake but a fear for your snake, just hard to tell the difference. I often worry about Kellog escaping although logically I know that is virtually impossible. I also worry when I first get him out that I will drop him or that he will escape and disappear into the furniture or into a hole in the wall. I worry everytime I lift the hide and replace it that I will squash him.....I worry every feeding time that he wont eat.....you get the message - you are not alone. xxx

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  03:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just wondering, how strong is my snake, the li8d is on really firm - sometimes I struggle to get the little hatch open! will he manage? I'm finding it hard to sleep as every little noise I think is him escaping!
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  09:54:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you sometimes struggle with you hands to open the hatch i wouldnt worry to much about your snake opening it, snakes are great escapologists but not with superhuman strength,as long as the hatch is on properly it should be fine

My wife was worried about the same thing you are over our host hatchling so to save any worry i put a pretty dolphin paperweight over the hatch, probably overkill but it looks good in the light lol and saves any worrying. We have now got a yearling and a sub adult, with the yearling in a similar type box to the hatchling with nothing over the hatch.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  10:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to be a bit wary of my snake but got over it in time, and now dont have a problem with either of them!

however, I do understand your thing about the bed- Casper escaped once for 2 weeks and that was where he ended up...

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  11:00:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

I used to be a bit wary of my snake but got over it in time, and now dont have a problem with either of them!

however, I do understand your thing about the bed- Casper escaped once for 2 weeks and that was where he ended up...

Dont tell zandefloss that Casper ended up in your bed....she'll start having nightmares about it! xxx

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  11:25:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ha ha just dont wiggle your toes!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  13:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  13:51:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zandefloss

quote:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

lol, if your snake cant get out of its viv then I wouldnt worry. Casper only escaped coz I left the viv door open.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

100 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  15:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know where you're coming from too! I'm not scared of the snake but I can be a little apprehensive when I go to pick her up that maybe my grip will be too tight or that she will get all flighty again (she still freaks out at being touched sometimes) and disappear before I can catch her or that I'm seriously stressing her. I know that most of it is all down to time and regular and consistant handling though and she'll settle; she used to dart off and hide at the mere sight of me (like so many women lol) but now she just stays put and watches me.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  20:35:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you'll get used to handling and looking after such a small thing...
im like that with edison my little 'un.. hes so much smaller than the rest I cant help but panic sometimes that im going to hurt him - especially as he curls up so tight around my finger and refuses to move so I have to pry him off..
you will get used to it and after a few weeks once she has grown a bit you will wonder what you were panicking about so much - you always have to be careful with snakes anyway but the worry does ease slightly after a while

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  21:14:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love your sig Zandefloss, and the fact that you kept the name Spaghetti! xxx

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  22:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou everyone, after spending my first night sleeping in the same room as her, nothing bad happened, she was still there in the morning, I feel a bit better about the whole thing :)

Thanks re: my sig, I was jealous of everyone elses! Had to have a little piccie too! Everyone just loved tyhe name spaghetti, so I had to keep it! I'm looking forwards to her getting a little bigger and more solid to handle, although it's amazing seeing and holding a snake so small!
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  22:56:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Must admit to only being used to handling my adult....would be terrified to handle something so small. I guess it just takes time and patience for both of you to get used to each other. xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000