Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 New snake!!!!! and heat mat help pleaseeeee :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

151 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  14:50:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,
I finally got my new little snake! She/he (they guessed that she was a girl so for now i will refer to her a she but hoping to find out for definite in 6 months or so) is so cute! born on the 6th june so just over a month old. She is an anery and i have named her Riff Raff after the Richard O'Brian's legendary character in Rocky Horror Picture Show. She is very active and inquisitive and i cant wait to have her all settled in to her new home.
However i have been a muppet and have bought a faunarium (14 1/2" x 8 1/2" x 10") and the heat mat i have bought is far too big for it
Its a 6x11 habistat heat mat and is the same one i use for Cherry's tank. And because of the little legs that Exo-Terra fauns have it completely doesnt fit under it. So basically im now left with at least half the heat mat sticking out form the other side of the fain and about half a cm gap between the mat and the faun. sigh. I have bought some polystyrene and placed that under the mat for a bit of insulation but will that half cm gap lose too much heat? Will the warm side of the tank still be warm enough? Has anyone else had this problem attaching a heat mat to a Exo-Terra faun?
Sorry that was a very long winded way of saying i have bought the wrong sized heat mat and how can i rectify this? lol

0.1.0 Crimson Corn "Cherry Darling"
0.1.0 Anery Corn "Riff Raff"
0.1.0 Hypo Motley Corn "Magenta"
0.1.0 Crested Gecko "Beatrix Kiddo"
0.1.0 Crested Gecko "O-Ren Ishii"
0.1.0 Tortoiseshell and White Kitten "Gizmo!"

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  15:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try taping it to the bottom of the faun so its in full contact?
edit: try filing the legs down aswell?

obv not while snake is in there!

Edited by - hillzi on 23/07/2009 15:24:25
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

151 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  15:51:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey cheers for the reply Hillzi. What ive done so far is put a cm thick piece of polystyrene under the faunarium in attempt to contain the heat. then ive done as you said and just tried my best to tape the mat as close to the faun as possible. not sure how long it will hold though. I've got the rest of the set up done now and have put all the thermometers and stat in so i'll keep a close eye on it to make sure its maintaining heat properly. hopefully it'll be fine :) if not i'll get my file out lol.

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  18:42:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Con, You dont really want to tape the heat mat to the bottom of the faun. Put the heat mat on top of the polystyrene and put the faun on top of the heat mat. The plastic fauns gets really hot so it is best to have that gap for air flow. Also what sort of stat have you got?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

151 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  19:01:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey thanks for the reply Remmy. The tape wanst sticking properly anyway soive taekn it off now. There's still about a half cm air gap between the faun and the mat. will that be ok? it's been on for about three hours now and the thermometers arent going any higher than 23-25C. Ive got a Habistat Mat Stat. Havent tried setting it yet though as i was told to set it by the thermoters and they arent getting up to the right temps yet. Sigh. Will keep an eye on it and see if it gets any higher. Will report back if it doesnt.

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  19:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Con, Have you got a digital thermometer? You have to go by the thermometer so if the temps are not high enough turn the stat up a bit The stat might say 85 but the temp is really 80
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

151 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  19:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah ive got digital thermometers and mercury ones for both vivs. yeah i know how to set up the stats, im just waiting for the heat mats to get up to heat up a bit before i get the stat programmed in. Waiting for the temps to settle so to speak.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2009 :  21:28:53  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Where are the probes for the stat and thermometers situated?
What make is the mat?

Try using a towel underneath, they can force the mat to have more contact with the faun as well.
I have in the past also packed the gap out with fabrics, they transfer heat really well. You'd be surprised at how much a section of an old pillow case folded up between the faun and mat can make as well.

You haven't bought the wrong size, you just prepared in advance for the next size up viv.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

151 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2009 :  13:05:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha ha i turns out i was being a muppet of the highest order. I was having a senile moment and had the thermometer probe situated in the viv where the heat mat didnt quite reach. No wonder it wasnt getting up to temperature! Doh!
So i've thermometer and the stat probe are placed under the cave hide in the warm end the temp is remaining nicely at 30C. So problem solved :)
:)

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2009 :  22:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Muppet lol
Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  00:32:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks. Picked up some tips from this thread, and glad you got it sorted 'The Con,' but i'm a little confuzzled? I read about people using heat mats with plastic fauns, and then people saying you can't as the plastic can't take the heat?? Is that dependant on the make of faun etc..
We have a Exo Terra Faun that we will prob use when we get our corn (is that what you are using 'The Con?'), but am worried that a heat mat attached to or directly under a plastic faun will be a both a hazard to the corn, and an overall fire hazard?
We have a heat mat and stat for our leopard gecko, but he is in a glass tank with the mat stuck to the underside with a piece of cardboard under that (with a gap between the mat and card for air flow).
Don't mean to hijack your thread or anything lol, just using the search button about my worry and didn't want to start a whole new post just for this.
Cheers,
Jonathan

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  00:48:47  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I read somewhere about having heat mats in direct contact with glass, someones terrarium apparently cracked because there was no gap for airflow, now I can't understand why as many amphibians and inverts are kept with the heat mat in direct contact with the side of glass, not sure whether it's because its the back/side or bottom.

BUT..... me being precautious 'n' all I have left a gap between my heat mat and the bottom of the faun. I have an Exo Terra Large Flat Faun 18" x 12" x 7 1/2", I also have a 6" x 11" heat mat. The faun doesn't sit dead center of the mat because of the plastic mould connecting the H/M wire and the heat mat. But I have put a thick slice of poly under the faun and will be carving out a nice little dip in it to accomodate the plastic mould then it will sit directly under the faun. At the mminute it's not even out by 1cm but I'm a perfectionist, lol. The only issue I had was with the stat readings, but that has now been resolved and the temps are perfect.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  13:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all of my corns are in fauns with the heatmats on top of them..the one thing i have noticed with the plastic fauns is that I have to have my stat turned up a bit higher than necessary just to compensate for the heat that gets lost going through the plastic.. i check mine every time i clean them out for any heat damage to the bottim aswell but so far so good

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  16:13:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh ok cool, thanks folks!

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000