Does your corn recognise you?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

43 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  18:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not in a cat or dog way, but do you get a sense it knows who you are as opposed to strangers... do they recognise 'the hand that feeds them'?

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  18:32:24  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
mine think all hands will feed them lol

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  18:35:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they might remember smells, but thats their limit.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

43 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  18:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sexychef

mine think all hands will feed them lol

hehe

quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

I think they might remember smells, but thats their limit.

Hmmmmm

Do you scrub up at all first and only use one particular brand of soap... like Imperial Leather...
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  18:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They must, Spook never bites my OH but gets me nearly every time i open the viv. Sill 19 snakes and only one that bites isn't too bad (little ****** who was it that wanted a ghost stripe?)

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  18:46:32  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is something that i'm not sure if they do or not.
My 3 corns are very much at ease with me, and others, but one of them can be very grumpy towards my step-daughter sometimes but the others aren't. It's not a confidence issue, it just seems like the snake doesn't like her.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  19:18:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

This is something that i'm not sure if they do or not.
My 3 corns are very much at ease with me, and others, but one of them can be very grumpy towards my step-daughter sometimes but the others aren't. It's not a confidence issue, it just seems like the snake doesn't like her.

quote:
Originally posted by Tizzy

They must, Spook never bites my OH but gets me nearly every time i open the viv. Sill 19 snakes and only one that bites isn't too bad (little ****** who was it that wanted a ghost stripe?)

Yes but is that because they recognise the friendly person and the threat, or do they have to re-evaluate that person each time?

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  19:40:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Yes but is that because they recognise the friendly person and the threat, or do they have to re-evaluate that person each time?

WHO ARE YOU CALLING A THREAT??? I'M NOT AT ALL SCARY!!

Tee hee Honest

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  20:12:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  20:15:07  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tizzy

(little ****** who was it that wanted a ghost stripe?)

If I could, I'd have it off you in a shot. But I'm not allowed!

Mrs Bud is evil !!

Corn Snake Forum Members Map

Please add your details HERE
Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  20:21:15  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The fact tht snakes use their tongues to taste smells n scents.. surely a snake would associate a certain smell to a person who regularly has dealing with them,hence why, should you change something on ur hands then it takes them a wee while to read adjust hence the more tongue flicking and checking u out to confirm *ahh yes i do know u*. .. but also another point all animals can pick up vibes that you give off,n i assume so that one thing i have certainly noticed when my daughter is handling the small corn because she is nervous her hands sweat more, the snakes tongue goes mad sensing testing etc, n snake gets irritated cause of the sweat making her stick,nervous vibes plus extra moisture... she comes back to me she settles again.. no sweaty hands fluent movement calm mood returns.... !!!!!!!

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob
Go to Top of Page

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  23:48:16  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, interesting one this. I'd like to think that all my snakies know and love me! lol. I always figured not but then Daksha, who I handled loads from a baby, would let me pick her up no problem and was always really calm around me. But when she got picked up by a rep guy to get sexed she went for him. She also sits and lets me stroke her head - who says snakes don't like being 'petted'!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

43 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  00:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

The fact tht snakes use their tongues to taste smells n scents.. surely a snake would associate a certain smell to a person who regularly has dealing with them,hence why, should you change something on ur hands then it takes them a wee while to read adjust hence the more tongue flicking and checking u out to confirm *ahh yes i do know u*. .. but also another point all animals can pick up vibes that you give off,n i assume so that one thing i have certainly noticed when my daughter is handling the small corn because she is nervous her hands sweat more, the snakes tongue goes mad sensing testing etc, n snake gets irritated cause of the sweat making her stick,nervous vibes plus extra moisture... she comes back to me she settles again.. no sweaty hands fluent movement calm mood returns.... !!!!!!!

yes... that makes a lot of sense.

quote:
Originally posted by cherry-milkshake

....She also sits and lets me stroke her head - who says snakes don't like being 'petted'!

Wow! I like the idea of that... I'm gonna try and build up a solid relationship with Smaug over the years... who knows... he may even enjoy walks around the park, shopping in Waitrose or a trip to the zoo [to see the inmates] in the wonderously golden years to come!
Go to Top of Page

cherry-milkshake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  00:33:22  Show Profile  Click to see cherry-milkshake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol, I'd never try it but I reckon I could just wrap Daksha round my neck and go to the shops - she'd just happily stay there. I did answer the door to the gas man like that once though - he spent ten minutes chatting to me until he realised I had an actual live snake around my neck...then he cr*pped himself! He'd thought she was fake. LMAO, was v funny

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  01:10:24  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cherry-milkshake
he spent ten minutes chatting to me until he realised I had an actual live snake around my neck...then he cr*pped himself! He'd thought she was fake. LMAO, was v funny

Hahaha love it

Little Lucien is very slow and calm in my hands but speeds up and bit and looks a bit nervous in the presence of others, lots of frantic tongue flicking etc.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

184 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  05:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my corn doesnt mind who is handling her but the hognoses are hissy with anyone but me, dunno y tho.

1.0.0 Amel stripe(Dezzi)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Rizzie)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn (Hotaru)
2.2.0 western hognose (Huff and Puff)(Missy and Pharoh)
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  11:06:39  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd say they recognise me- the corns know I'm the one with the warm place down my top

Seriously though- I talk to my snakes a lot and I think the vibrations and tone of the sound is recognised and smell is also a very keen sense for snakes in general.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  11:59:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 6 year old male is super laid back with most people, has never bitten and is great to handle. Mushu however is a little cow, but hasnt got me yet... I use an alcohol free hand sanitiser which smells alot like honeydew melon, so there is no mistaking me for anything else. I dont think my snakes love me tho, they tolerate me.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

heatseeker872591
Hatchling

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  12:09:25  Show Profile  Visit heatseeker872591's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i have actually raised this subject before on corn snakes intellegence, and mine really seems to have that. whenever i walk into the room he will sometimes poke his head out of his hide to investigate, when i open the viv sometimes hel slowly slither out on to my hand as if he "wants" to be handled. now for a snake i never would have thought of such behaviour for a snake. some people believe that reptiles brains are purely systematic like a machine that has no thought going on inside what so ever and is purely running on instinct - much like a jelly fish really. but i have to disagree, i am 100 percent convinced that there is some little thought going on inside that little brain of his

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  12:50:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
id like to think that Mont recognises me but I'm not convinced.. maybe eventually he will start to be inquisitive when i come into my room and maybe he will shift his lazy but out of his hide once in a while lol :P
but when i do handle him hes alright - hes never gone for me and seems to recognise my hand (if that makes sense), he does a lot of tongue flicking to start with but then he tends to just curl up and get comfy round my fingers and not move for a while..

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  22:49:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My snake is calm with everyone. He always tries to get away from step mum though!!!

I think they recognise the same smells. I tend not to spray deodrant near my snakes and hold them near my top - it doesn't smell of soap and im not one of those who cover myself with deo, so it smells of me
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000