Prodigal has returned
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  00:35:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've not posted for some time, mainly out of shame because I managed to lose 3 snakes! One surprised me in bed one morning - no, not in that way!:shock: the other was found wandering down the street 2 months after it had gone missing and the last one was no where to be seen. I assumed the latter was dead because he had escaped into the Garden, which has resident foxes, and not only is it albino it was terrified of it's dead feed so had no chance against live mice - or so I thought! Anyway all of our frogs in the pond have disappeared (I assumed they migrated) and today a fat white snake slithers into the kitchen from the garden. Somehow he has avoided being eaten! Now I am concerned that he may not eat dead mice if he has been living off of live-who-knows-what! Has anyone else had a similar experience (snake has been outside since March) or can anyone offer any advice?

P.S. I have learnt my lesson and there will be no more escapees!

Anery Motley F: Callisto
Snow M: Europa
Carolina Reverse Okeetee F: Io
Anery Motley F: Kinky
Snow F: Maite

22 Naughty Hatchlings

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  00:40:12  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i would take him along to the vet to iradicate any iternal paracites he may of picked up,then give him a week or 2 to adjust to captivity again and try a feed and go from there.Oh congrat on finding him.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  00:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no, I didn't take the other one to the vet and as it is female I stuck it back in with the other female! The male who has returned has been put in his own viv. What's the worse that can happen - can they fight off these things or will the parasites cause harm to humans? I've got to say they look very healthy and energetic. The female has just laid and ate a huge meal a couple of days ago.

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  09:21:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
parasites can cause long term internal damage to any animal, the worst case scenario being death. Don't take a chance, take your snakes to the vet.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  10:47:19  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you really need to take it to the vets tipsy. you are lucky the snake returned and now its needs to make sure it has no parasites
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  10:59:07  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would most definately split the 2 females up, the one that escaped could be bringing back all sorts of bugs from 'the outside'.

A good period of complete quarantine for the escapees, about 3 months at least, to monitor and keep better check on their health.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  14:50:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you can get Panacur 2.5% from your vet or shop to treat internal parasites, your vet should be able to advise ou on dosage as i can't remember off the top of my head

and i'd just monitor for external parasites and quarantine on paper so anything's easier to spot.

they should go back on defrost fairly easily though and congrats too!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  23:23:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, I'll try and sort this out in the morning. Can any parasitic infection be harmful to humans?

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  23:44:42  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yes, worms can be passed to people, as can ticks, so strict hygiene

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  00:27:55  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you don't want any of those risks, I'll happily take the snakes in for you.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

395 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  22:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry you lost them, but glad you found them. Brings up a question though. Do you worm your snakes on a regular basis GP? and if so, will the vet weigh them for the correct dose etc? Ally.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  22:28:49  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Always worth trying phil

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  22:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm missing frogs and a fat snake... very suspicious

0.0.1 Striped Cali King "Hunter"
0.0.1 Snow corn "Stockton"
0.0.1 Blue tongue "Thompson"
1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

My photobucket, http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/kevindollar/ Some randoms in there but mostly reps

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  23:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
glad you found snakey alive!
did the vet give him the all clear?

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  00:14:15  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Always worth trying phil

Shhh, she hasn't said no yet.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  00:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes you can have my albino male because he's causing me problems. Frightened of prey - even before went walkabout - and (ahem) the obvious. I also have 50 eggs waiting to hatch and two yearlings. Have them all - I can't afford anymore vivs. OH feeble attempt to save money and DIY a viv caused the escaping incident in the first place!

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  00:44:18  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tipsy

Yes you can have my albino male because he's causing me problems. Frightened of prey - even before went walkabout - and (ahem) the obvious. I also have 50 eggs waiting to hatch and two yearlings. Have them all - I can't afford anymore vivs. OH feeble attempt to save money and DIY a viv caused the escaping incident in the first place!

Lee2308, have you witnessed that??? Legally binding contract that is. hmm, now to choose who to evict, my teenage stepdaughter, my teenage niece, or me.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  08:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was really hoping you would want my two walkabouts. :(

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  10:10:04  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Seriously??? Out of curiosity, why?? (And where are you? can't find you on t'map.) Just in case.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000