tunnelling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

conormclaren
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  11:28:45  Show Profile  Visit conormclaren's Homepage  Send conormclaren a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
simple question. do snakes need to tunnel i was thinking about useinf stones as a substrate some people are saying no they dont like it and some are saying they love it ????? so confused

1 ghost corn snake

Coal
Hatchling

449 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  11:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I keep my boy in aspen shavings and he does like to tunnel through it every now and again when he's feeling shy. Being able to tunnel probably makes them feel more secure as they can hide but I don't know whether they need to tunnel really, especially if they have plenty of hides and cover.

Wouldn't want to say for sure though

'Lovecraft' - CB12 male amel

'Sarnath' - CB13 male KSB (anery, het. albino)
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  12:25:44  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mine love to tunnel. It depends on the individual snake of course but I've not met many owners who say their snake doesn't like to burrow and make tunnels in their substrate.
I like to give mine the opportunity if they want to. I also make sure they have enough hides, plant coverage and climbing branches.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  16:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine burrow as well :)

Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  17:36:23  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mine like to Mine too-usualy after I've just changed the water so that they can flick Lignocell into it
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  20:41:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first thought when I saw you say about using stones as a substrate was 'what about when your snake poos??' ....shows how my mind works . Can't imagine it would be very easy to clean, not like just scooping out a handful of substrate.

Mine definitely like to tunnel....and I like to destroy their tunnels so they have to go digging all over again .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Slinkey23
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  21:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine loves to tunnel although i think he just does it to annoy me, i spend ages getting a nice even level of aspen on tank cleaning day an then he just destroys it!

1.0.0 Carolina Corn
1.0.0 staffordshire bull terrier
Go to Top of Page

twistedmonkey
Hatchling

United Kingdom
132 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  22:05:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Midas has been tunneling more and more as each week, he's recently taking to making a tunnel and going inside his fake rock.

Its so funny to see his tiny little head poking out from the side of the rock staring at me

Go to Top of Page

hayleylsl
Egg

United Kingdom
98 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2013 :  21:47:04  Show Profile  Click to see hayleylsl's MSN Messenger address  Send hayleylsl a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Boris loves tunneling! It's very sweet when he just has his little head poking out.

1.0.0 CB 12 Amel Motley- Boris

0.2.0 cats Grizabella and Jennyanydots

Foster cat: Jasper who has a healing broken pelvis
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2013 :  10:01:13  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mjpeters

Mine like to Mine too-usualy after I've just changed the water so that they can flick Lignocell into it

Yep I know that one lol. Get a mound onto their head and decide to then have a drink a well :(

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000