New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  10:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2 of the corns in a double viv stack, and as they will both need an upgrade in the next year or so I'm thinking ahead. The stacks are 30"x 15"x 15" each, and I've had an idea. If I leave both fully set up (each have heat mat, thermostat, digital thermometers) and make a hole on the floor of the top viv into the bottom viv with a plastic tunnel going from top to bottom, would that be big enough for one corn?

Coal
Hatchling

449 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  10:26:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh wow, well it's an interesting idea :) I would say that would be fine so long as you kept the heat mat, thermometer, thermostat, hides and a water bowl in both sections in case the snake doesn't find the entrance to the tunnel and was stuck without water, hides or whatever.

I'm very new to all this though so I might be wrong :)

'Lovecraft' - CB12 male amel

'Sarnath' - CB13 male KSB (anery, het. albino)
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  10:56:14  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My next door neighbour did that with his vivs and it works a treat. His snake loves climbing and he just put some old branches through the hole from one level to the other.
It was such a success that he did the same for his second snake.
He just uses one heat mat in the bottom viv.
Would love to see photo's when you get it done!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  11:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking of doing this myself, but wasn't sure if it was a practical idea. Now i have my answer.

Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  11:54:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for thinking it's such a good idea, I thought it may have been a bit strange lol. I now have to plan how and where to put the hole, and what to use for access...some of my lot aren't that bright

Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  17:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hissyfit

some of my lot aren't that bright

That just means it'll be 'new' every time they find it lol

1.0.0 CB'11 Volcano Corn 'Kitty'
0.0.1 CB'11 Russian Rat Snake 'Monster'
2.0.0 CB'04 Roof Rabbits 'Baka Neko-San' and 'Usagi Neko-San'

My Setup :http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27228
The Kids: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26248
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  19:52:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having the same dilemma. Can not decide between buying everyone 3ft x 2ft x 2ft and selling the stacks or converting some of the stack and just buying a few extra 3ft x 2ft x 2ft. I was thinking of completely removing the middle floor though and adding in a couple of shelves at different heights maybe a hammock and branches etc. Always struggle to make decisions though lol. Will probably wait till early next year everyone has gone into sleep mode now.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  21:59:01  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thats Brilliant!super idea!My corns have 2'x2'x18"tall vivs-I was just beginning to think them a bit small when I discovered(or rather told about)Trixie tables,now my guys all have one as well as Java wood parrot perches that I bolt through the viv(easy peasy,they come with bolt and wing nut).
Now my guys are climbing expertscan't wait to see your snakey play palace
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2013 :  10:06:25  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say, wouldn't it be cheaper and easier just to buy bigger vivs and flog the stuff you have? Also If you snake needed a bigger viv, wouldn't flat ground space be more pratical than taller since they are terrestrial. I know corns climb a tad but that high in viv space seems a bit ott. Plus if the snake falls from a heigh since they can be lame at climbing its going to be a thuds, I already get big thuds and my vivs are only 15" high lol

Not to sound like a negative Nancey or anything lol.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 29/06/2013 10:08:36
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000