Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2013 :  22:11:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

This might be a bit different but i would be interested to hear if anyone else does or knows how to do a similar thing. As it stands i handle Albi on a daily basis and 9/10 times he is happy enough.

When feeding i will handle him before and them put him into a lunch box using my hand to block his path (keeping him there) until i get the mouse. he will strike and eat as you would expect.

Now at the moment as he is finishing the mouse i usually position the lunch box so that its flush with the viv no gaps etc.. and then he can slither on in. I don't handle afterwards cos he seems to think my hand is another mouse.

The problem is as he is getting bigger and bolder he tries to leave earlier than expected and we have a bit of a fight on our hands :).

I will get a bigger rub but, is there a good one to choose that will sit flush with the viv and so on. .... this way he can leave when ever he is finished and I am not going to chase him around the room dodging strikes or watch it for an hour to make sure he doesn't go anywhere else. Thanks in advance

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2013 :  22:18:24  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Interesting way to go about feeding and such. I personally just feed them in their tank :) works fine for me. But hope someone can help.

Albino Addiction ... <3
0.1.0 - Creamsicle Cornsnake (Mo)
1.0.0 - Bubblegum Snow Corn (Gabriel)
1.0.0 - Lavendar 100% Het Hypo Corn (Ezra)
1.0.0 - Bairds Rat Snake (Lazarus)
0.0.1 - Crested Gecko (Pan)
Go to Top of Page

yalovit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2013 :  23:05:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also feed in the tank with tweezers and my snake never thinks my hand is a mouse.some people say don't feed in tank cuz of ingestion of substrate,but I think that's very rare.but I stand there and keep an eye on her until she has swallowed the mouse and if the aspen gets on it I can just use the tweezers to pull it off.

female corn mist.staffy cross English bull Kelsey
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2013 :  23:13:19  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I feed in the viv generally with both of mine, I just put a paper plate down where Sakana eats(she takes it from my hand so I hold onto the tail until I can get the paper plate under her) and then Cereus eats on top of his warm hide lol. I think you could possibly start using a glove or some form of protection for picking him up after feeding? I have a branch that has a forked end and when I used to feed him outside the viv he could get quite nasty since strike feeding him brought out his natural instinct so I used the branch to lift him up off the floor/out of his RUB and then I got hold of him gently to guide him back into his viv. What about trying that?

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
1.0 Caramel Stripe het Amel - Vladimir.
0.1 Normal het Amel, Caramel, Hypo - Amara.
0.1 Masque het Amel, Anery, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, Lavender, Stripe - Aurelia.
1.0 Masque Anery het Amel, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, lavender, Stripe - Orion.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
1.0 Yellow Rat Snake - Leviathan(Levi)
Western Hognoses
1.0 Normal 50% poss het Frosted(Dutch Hypo, Caramel) - Thorne.
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
1.0 Anaconda het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Titan.
0.1 Normal het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Nyx.
R.I.P Pandora & Sakana, entwined in my heart forever my darlings.
Go to Top of Page

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  07:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought feeding inside the viv was always a big no no. I strike feed cos it gives the little bugger some exercise as well. A few times I have had to grab him anyway, guess where the head is going and then wait for the circulation in my hand to return :) is there anyone else who feeds in a similar way?

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  08:05:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not a case of feeding in the viv being a 'no no', it's down to personal choice in the end. There is a risk of the snake ingesting substrate if you feed in the viv but that can be dealt with by putting the mouse on kitchen roll or something like that, as AcidicAngel does. There is also the possibility of the snake assuming that your hand coming into its viv means food, so expects it when you want to get it out to handle....but I haven't heard of that happening often. Personally I feed out of the viv because it gives a better opportunity to take pics ....and I do like keeping their feeding separate from their home.

With mine they are fed on a towel on the floor and once the mouse has reached about half-way down their body I'll gently lift them up, supporting the bump, and put them back in their vivs. But they are adults so the situation is a bit different.

Personally I'd persist with feeding him outside the viv and try to get him used to you picking him up after a feed to return him. Make sure you've washed your hands and that the meal has gone far enough down. It may be worth getting a lid for the RUB, so you can keep him in there until he's calmed down.

Hope that helps.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  09:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah i think that will be the plan of action. I will get a bigger rub with a lid and do as instructed. Thanks for the advice guys.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000