more food please :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

conormclaren
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2013 :  22:24:52  Show Profile  Visit conormclaren's Homepage  Send conormclaren a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
simple question.how do i know if my snake wants more food ?

1 ghost corn snake

SilverWings
Yearling

United Kingdom
740 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2013 :  22:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snakes will pretty much *always* want more food XD With young'uns, a good rule of thumb is if the food no longer leaves a noticeable lump, its time to up the size. If you can still see the lump when it's been eaten, it'll be fine.

2.2.3 Corn snakes; Red, Rosie, Liana, Checkers, Luna, Diego, Snowman
1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Snake; Aleron
1.0 Green Anoles; Doug
1.0 Greyhound; Lee
Go to Top of Page

conormclaren
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2013 :  22:59:03  Show Profile  Visit conormclaren's Homepage  Send conormclaren a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
no cant see no lump got this snake a week ago and pets at home said he was a year old and he is still on pinkys mabey i should feed him fuzzys or mabey somthing bigger ?????????

1 ghost corn snake
Go to Top of Page

SilverWings
Yearling

United Kingdom
740 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2013 :  23:18:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A year old and still on pinkies? We just moved our 6 month old king on to fuzzies, so yeah, it's probably a good idea to move him up. Ask your pet shop if you can see the sizes they offer; your snake can take anything up to 1 and a half times it's width. You're not to far away from me :p I go to The Ark pet shops, they're normally pretty good, might be able to offer some advice. I'd certainly recommend them if you get a chance to pop in to one, there's one in exeter, one on torquay.

http://arkpetcentres.com/

2.2.3 Corn snakes; Red, Rosie, Liana, Checkers, Luna, Diego, Snowman
1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Snake; Aleron
1.0 Green Anoles; Doug
1.0 Greyhound; Lee
Go to Top of Page

conormclaren
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2013 :  23:29:52  Show Profile  Visit conormclaren's Homepage  Send conormclaren a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
yea i went in to the pets at home is marsh barton (exeter) and they said pinkys was fine just go's to show how much they really know :/ and ok thanks i will go have a look in there might pop in tomoz if i get the time thanks for all the help :)

1 ghost corn snake
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2013 :  07:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor snake, should be on at least fluffs by now if not smalls. I wouldn't offer a small though if he's used to pinks, give some fuzzies first for a few weeks to see if they leave a bump (he may be a slender snake and therefore too thin for smalls if he's only been fed on pinks). If there is a reasonable bump then stay on fuzzies for a while, if there is still no bump then just give for a few weeks to make sure it isn't a shock to the stomach moving up too quickly, then move up to smalls if you think he is ready.

Go to Top of Page

ScaryVonHayleystine
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1773 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2013 :  08:57:59  Show Profile  Visit ScaryVonHayleystine's Homepage  Click to see ScaryVonHayleystine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i agree with smart bunny there. I got my Mo from pets at home, she was on pinks but she was a bit thicker than the rest, Before she even turn three months old she was on 2 pinks a feed and we're moving her onto fluffs soon.

Albino Addiction ... <3
0.1.0 - Creamsicle Cornsnake (Mo)
1.0.0 - Bubblegum Snow Corn (Gabriel)
1.0.0 - Lavendar 100% Het Hypo Corn (Ezra)
1.0.0 - Bairds Rat Snake (Lazarus)
0.0.1 - Crested Gecko (Pan)
Go to Top of Page

conormclaren
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2013 :  09:16:16  Show Profile  Visit conormclaren's Homepage  Send conormclaren a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
ok thanks everyone im going now to get some fluffs thanks alot :)

1 ghost corn snake
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2013 :  09:16:37  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If she's only been fed pinkies for the last year you really don't want too move up sizes to quickly. It could cause her to regurge because her system just isn't used to it!
I'd start off by giving her two pinkies for 3-4 meals then move up to fuzzies. If they don't leave a bump then offer her two at each meal for 3-4 feeds like you did with the pinkies. Then go up a size again. Repeat this method until she's taken the correct size mouse to leave a nice bump.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals

Edited by - herriotfan on 24/06/2013 09:17:20
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  09:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again Herriotfan has hit the nail on the head . There is no rush to up her feed too quickly, in fact that can cause problems. Breeders, pet and reptile shops tend to keep the snakes they have on a maintenance diet, because they know they won't have them for long and it's cheaper for them. In other words they give them enough to stay alive but not to grow and flourish.

Have you read the Rough guide to feeding Conor? That answers your question and gives you more information about feeding as well.

And remember, slow and steady increase in food size.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000