Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2013 :  13:25:51  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So I've been thinking lately and Sakana is supposed to be a Hypo ph Lavender, Anery. Yet after doing some digging and searching I've found out her mother was NOT the Lavender het Anery that she was supposed to be. Her mother was in fact a Hypo with unknown hets. However, Sakana has a brother called Red who my uncle owns and Red is Amel... They are from the same clutch... So in theory Sakana's mum had to be het Amel and her father either also Het Amel or Amel himself... Right? Another theory... Sakana should be Het Amel which means in theory I should get some Amels from my Sakana x Cereus Pairing as Cereus is a Butter which is Amel Caramel! Right? Did I get that?

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
1.0 Caramel Stripe het Amel - Vladimir.
0.1 Normal het Amel, Caramel, Hypo - Amara.
0.1 Masque het Amel, Anery, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, Lavender, Stripe - Aurelia.
1.0 Masque Anery het Amel, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, lavender, Stripe - Orion.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
1.0 Yellow Rat Snake - Leviathan(Levi)
Western Hognoses
1.0 Normal 50% poss het Frosted(Dutch Hypo, Caramel) - Thorne.
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
1.0 Anaconda het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Titan.
0.1 Normal het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Nyx.
R.I.P Pandora & Sakana, entwined in my heart forever my darlings.

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2013 :  14:00:27  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if Dad was only het amel then Sakana would only be poss het amel if dad was visually amel then yes she'd definitely be 100 percent het amel so putting Sakana to your butter would prove out the amel het if its there

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake

Edited by - paulie78 on 25/04/2013 14:01:19
Go to Top of Page

Charles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2013 :  14:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All looks good to me. 10/10 so you can have a Biology GCSE! Actually closer to an A2 question as it involves more than one gene.

1.1.0 Jim Caramel Tessera, Rosie Motley
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2013 :  15:36:34  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulie78

if Dad was only het amel then Sakana would only be poss het amel if dad was visually amel then yes she'd definitely be 100 percent het amel so putting Sakana to your butter would prove out the amel het if its there

I've no idea what dad was. Mum was sent off for mating and Sakana and Red were both produced from the same mating and clutch. I am hoping missus angry at everything and doesn't want to eat is gravid so that I can attempt to prove out whether she's het Amel but not sure yet.

quote:
Originally posted by Charles

All looks good to me. 10/10 so you can have a Biology GCSE! Actually closer to an A2 question as it involves more than one gene.

Haha, I wish lol.

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
0.1 Masque het Amel, Anery, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, Lavender, Stripe - Aurelia.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
Western Hognoses
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2013 :  16:12:35  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AcidicAngel

quote:

I've no idea what dad was. Mum was sent off for mating and Sakana and Red were both produced from the same mating and clutch. I am hoping missus angry at everything and doesn't want to eat is gravid so that I can attempt to prove out whether she's het Amel but not sure yet.

quote:

Haha, I wish lol.

If both parents were "Het" Amel then Sakana would be 66 percent poss het amel the fact that Red was Amel means both parents carried Amel genes in one form or another but breeding Sakana to your Butter will definately prove her out one way or another

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2013 :  16:28:25  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm taking A level biology next year, so brushing up on corn genetics sounds like it could be really useful :P

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2013 :  16:41:50  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

I'm taking A level biology next year, so brushing up on corn genetics sounds like it could be really useful :P

My motivation for learning the corn genes was that i have a recessive genetic disorder and never could get my head around the genetics and how i got it lol but then along came the corns and suddenly it all makes sense lmao cause i now have something where i can physically see the results of recessive genes being passed around lol

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2013 :  16:42:56  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
haha :) i think it's truly fascinating, also the variations of the same gene as well

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2013 :  18:08:53  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Haha, I wish lol.

If both parents were "Het" Amel then Sakana would be 66 percent poss het amel the fact that Red was Amel means both parents carried Amel genes in one form or another but breeding Sakana to your Butter will definately prove her out one way or another

If she is Het for Amel... What will I get from them? Here's the full extension of what I know of the pair now.
Sakana - Hypo PH Amel
Cereus - Butter Unknown(if any) hets.

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
Western Hognoses
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2013 :  18:21:50  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well Butters are Caramel X Amel So amels are a possibility

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2013 :  19:19:46  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well I was thinking like, if she's het for Amel and Cereus being a Butter(Amel x Caramel) would it be....

3/4 Normal het Caramel, Hypo & Amel.
1/4 Amel het Caramel & Hypo.

or something different? And if Sakana is het Amel will the hatchlings only be poss het Amel? Am I getting ANY of this right? XD

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
Western Hognoses
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
Go to Top of Page

Charles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2013 :  20:00:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<biology teacher mode>

Key: A capital letter means that the allele (a different form of a gene) is dominant. In all these morphs the normal allele is dominant. For the morph to be seen in the offspring it needs to have two copies of the recessive allele (homozygous).

For the gene hypo H = normal allele, h = hypo allele.
For the gene Amel A = normal allele, a = amel allele.
For the gene Caramel C = normal allele, c = caramel allele.

Ok, so starting with the easier cross. Assume that Sakana has no hets

Hypo crossed with butter

hhCCAA x HHccaa

all offspring will be HhCcAa (normal het hypo, caramel, amel)

If Sakana is hypo het Amel

hhCCAa x HHccaa

50% offspring HhCcAa (normal het hypo, caramel, amel)
50% offspring HhCcaa (amel het hypo, caramel)

</biology teacher mode>

I hope I haven't made any mistakes; that would be embarrassing

Edited by - Charles on 25/04/2013 22:53:07
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2013 :  20:18:10  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think I got that... Lol.

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
Western Hognoses
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2013 :  21:17:14  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

My motivation for learning the corn genes was that i have a recessive genetic disorder and never could get my head around the genetics and how i got it lol but then along came the corns and suddenly it all makes sense lmao cause i now have something where i can physically see the results of recessive genes being passed around lol
[/quote]
The whole thing leaves my head spinning;I've got a completely random (not inherited)genetic disorder.
I think half the reason we like our George so much is that he was a random one off-all his clutch mates were normal/normal motley and his parents were normal coloured.
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2013 :  13:43:58  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mjpeters

The whole thing leaves my head spinning;I've got a completely random (not inherited)genetic disorder.
I think half the reason we like our George so much is that he was a random one off-all his clutch mates were normal/normal motley and his parents were normal coloured.
[/quote]

Ive got a couple of those disorders too pmsl im a medical mishap me i swear! i couldnt ever grasp the genetics stuff when drs tried explaining it too me over the years but when i discovered that corn genes were recessive too that was it i suddenly had to crack it and learn how it all worked lol and its obviously applicable to my condition well the principles are anyway haha

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2013 :  19:13:17  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

...if Sakana is het Amel will the hatchlings only be poss het Amel? Am I getting ANY of this right? XD

if you breed with a butter the none visual amel hatchlings will be 100% het, this will be coming from the butter parent.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2013 :  22:13:36  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

quote:

...if Sakana is het Amel will the hatchlings only be poss het Amel? Am I getting ANY of this right? XD

if you breed with a butter the none visual amel hatchlings will be 100% het, this will be coming from the butter parent.

So if she is het, have I got any guarantee of getting Amel hatchlings that are PH Caramel and Hypo?

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
Western Hognoses
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
Go to Top of Page

Charles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2013 :  23:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No guarantee, but a 50% chance for each egg. However, if she laid 10 eggs the odds of have no Amels is aprox 1:1000

Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2013 :  12:39:13  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

No guarantee, but a 50% chance for each egg. However, if she laid 10 eggs the odds of have no Amels is aprox 1:1000

Thanks

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
Western Hognoses
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2013 :  22:19:24  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
any amels would be 100% het hypo (from Sakana) and 100% het caramel (from the butter), as would any normals which would also be 100% het amel (from the butter)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2013 :  22:18:04  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Trying to get my head round the genetics lol. If only 1 parent is carrying the gene for say Caramel(Butter = Amel x Caramel) then would the hatchings not be only 50% chance of being het for it? Or am I on the wrong track? Same thoughts for Hypo too.

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
Western Hognoses
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000