Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 My first corn snake (I have some concerns)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2012 :  12:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, just seen that your thermometer and heat source aren't the ideal setup for a corn, ideally you want a heatmat (controlled by thermostat) to be on one side of the viv (covering approx 1/3 of the floor area), and have the thermostat sensor next to a didgtal thermometer sensor, this is due to the thermometer you have bing innaccurate and measuring the air temp where it is placed, rather than the actual temp of the floor area where the snake will be getting it's heat...

Hope that made sense?
Go to Top of Page

Leasha
Hatchling

Netherlands
246 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2012 :  21:24:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She has been under her rock all day and has only just come out. She was having a nose at the front of the viv and as soon as I went up to it to have a look she sprinted to the back and hid again. Aww <3
She will be rest in total peace from tomorrow till sunday so hopefully that will calm her down a bit. I'm not worried about being bitten but i have never handled such a fast snake and im quite nervous about dropping and loosing her.
Go to Top of Page

Mnementh
Yearling

United Kingdom
537 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2012 :  21:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NexivRed

What substrate do you have her on? You should really remove her from her viv to feed her otherwise you will be asking to be bitten, as she will begin to associate a hand coming into the viv with food appearing. Also, you should never feed on substrate they can accidently inhale.

You mean accidentally swallow ? C

I have fed all my corns and hoggies on substrate for years np's and a lot of people I know do , personal preference , only the hatchlings are not on substrate because they are in smaller tubs on kitchen roll .

Can't believe it's 3 weeks old and they can't remember it's last feed , no Einstein there . Alarm bells would ring for me , if you cant remember one feed , has it actually fed , time will tell .

Some snakes will bite others are a lot calmer , probably the stress of travelling etc , out of all my hatchies this year , no biters , only the one last year , he was psycho , soon settled down with a lot of handling over a few weeks .

Just give it a cooling off period for a few days or so , let it settle , then see how it goes :) you'll be up and running in no time .

In hotter countries I've chatted to people who have snakes and they don't use heatmats / thermostats , like yourself , just standby's for the winter :)I did'nt think Holland would be that warmer but then this is England , I can't remember a last good summer :)
So , am I right in assuming that the temps you are getting is the ambient air temperature ? heatmat and thermostat wont bring that down :)

Good luck and keep us updated

One last jump , that's all we have to take Holth .
Wearily the old queen gathered heself to spring ;
Moreta gratefully began her litany .
Black , blacker , blackest -
They went between .
Go to Top of Page

Leasha
Hatchling

Netherlands
246 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2012 :  21:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will get the heatmat in a week orso! Thanks. x
Go to Top of Page

Leasha
Hatchling

Netherlands
246 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2012 :  21:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My house is never below 23*C and right now it's around 28-34*C depends on what time of day it is. Can't help it being more then 29*C in the tank. :<
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2012 :  10:36:29  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Leasha once youve have your setup right your corn will be much more tolerant of being handled etc pet shops are usually always full of cr*p so ideally its best to research everyything beforehand from somewhere like here i suspect you got bit simply because your hatchling was spooked none of mine have ever bitten but even if they did i cant imagine itd hurt and id certainly discard the 5 more chances thing as sometimes theese things take as long as they take and every hatchling is different chances are it will never bite again then again it might it comes with the territory everyone else has given good advice which you've followed so far so your on the right track good luck

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Leasha
Hatchling

Netherlands
246 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2012 :  21:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ Thanks! Handling starts tomorrow
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2012 :  09:39:49  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Best of luck!

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: