Feeding Hatchlings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tanya.hobbs7
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  17:41:38  Show Profile  Send tanya.hobbs7 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I'm really struggling to get these hatchlings to have their first feed. I have used several peoples advice & so far have- put pinkies in hot water, warmed them up with a hair dryer & even cut the head slightly to expose the brain !
They had their 1st shed 8 days ago & as you can see I have tried to feed them 3 times so far!
Has anybody got any more tips or tricks?
Also how often should I keep trying?

Cheers for any advice.

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  19:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly, calm down, you have weeks before you need to be concerned.

Try them once every 5 days- in the meantime, don't stress, leave them alone as much as possible and don't handle them.

I find rubbing the pinkie with chick thigh works well, as does boiling them, putting the snake in a small dark (secure) space with the pinkie overnight, and some people swear by marmite and tuna juice.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

connorg96
Egg

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  19:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey there,

i'll [might be] having the same problem in a few weeks, snakes are just hatching out now

anyways last year i had this situation.

you must make sure that the snakes feel perfectly comfortable and not stressed out, this goes a long way to helping them feed for the first time.
i found that even the simplist things like moving the tub that the baby snake is being housed in can really stress out the baby snake. picking them up and/or cleaning them out pre-feed is another great way to stress a baby corn snake right out.

[a little trick that i have found is that you let the corn go into the palm of your hand and then gently place your other hand over that creating a makeshift hide so to speak. it's perfectly warm and this really calms a baby down.]

loud noises nearby such as any music also help to stress a snake out, especially babys.

making sure that their temporary home/rub is clean and has fresh water all the time(goes without saying)

and i went to the extremes aswell, this included cutting the head right off the pinky and offering both sides(bigger side first obviously) and eventually got them to feed.
unfortunately to no effect.

but after finding little tricks and nacks for doing things, they become alot easier. thought id share what i know

and you must always remain calm you being stressed doesn't help any situation,. and this is very important with regards to babys.

quick question, is this your first time breeding?

good luck anyways, and let me know how you get on, connor
Go to Top of Page

vetdebbie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  22:29:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What i usually do is this:

Wait a day or two after shed
Offer normal warm pink
wait 1 week
Offer normal warm pink
wait 1 week
Offer normal warm pink
wait 1 week
Offer boiled pink
wait 1 pink
Offer boiled pink
wait 1 week
Offer half a boiled pink
wait 1 week
Offer half a boiled pink

By far the majority will eat with this regime. I use lives as well if I have them but it is too irregular a supply to rely on.
Go to Top of Page

tanya.hobbs7
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2012 :  18:06:38  Show Profile  Send tanya.hobbs7 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the advice. It is our first time breeding, hence the nerves!
I will try to chill out a bit & keep trying!
Go to Top of Page

eac84
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2012 :  20:16:42  Show Profile  Send eac84 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hi just to help keep you positive my non feeder had his first meal last nite very please it was 32 days, still have a few not eating, i tried everything suggested also and boiling the pinkie seem to help.

Euan
1.1.0. normal stripped, normal corn 0.1.0 e.s.s
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000