Eggs non fertile
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Only1Nitro
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2012 :  20:59:03  Show Profile  Visit Only1Nitro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hello my smallest snake had laid some eggs despite never being with a male, she is too small to breed by 'The Rule' but as she is laying eggs any way what your views on making them viable next time?

Male Charcoal = Sterling
Female Carolina = Fofo
Female Butter = Amarelo
12 Eggs

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2012 :  21:51:39  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well in order for them to be fertile she must be mated.
Females have been known to lay 'slugs' without a male, especially if they went through brumation.
I would increase her feeding as she will be worn out from this (being too small to breed atm) and provide a damp hide incase she has some more eggs to lay to prevent any problems with eggies getting stuck.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

Only1Nitro
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2012 :  22:16:55  Show Profile  Visit Only1Nitro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i know these are infertile, and i have heard that they can lay but she is the only one that has, and is she is going through the motions my question really is why let her go through that for slugs? why not make them viable

Male Charcoal = Sterling
Female Carolina = Fofo
Female Butter = Amarelo
12 Eggs
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2012 :  09:46:51  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This will most likey be her only clutch this year (Ive not heard of slugs double-clutching but maybe someone else on here has) and she should be up to weight next year either way if you did want to mate her.

The only difference of course if is that you will need to aquire a mate and successfully mate them, prepare an incubater and incubate the eggs yourself for around 60 days and then prepare 15-20 individual containers for the hatchlings (maybe more), each with access to a heat source and find 15 - 20 people who want a baby corn snake. You will also have to keep the babies for a minimum of 6-8 weeks, buy between 75 - 140 pinkies to feed the little ones with (this is ensuring you sell them at 8 weeks).......

And then theres laying complications (eggs getting stuck etc), hatching complications (eggs that wont hatch or babies that havn't developed properly) and hatchling complications (babies that won't feed, babies that are deformed etc.)

Or you could provide a damp box and let her lay slugs :P

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles

Edited by - Ell on 16/08/2012 09:51:26
Go to Top of Page

Only1Nitro
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2012 :  13:15:50  Show Profile  Visit Only1Nitro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks i was thinking next season any way

Male Charcoal = Sterling
Female Carolina = Fofo
Female Butter = Amarelo
12 Eggs
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000