Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MissSnakeHandler
Hatchling

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  23:07:54  Show Profile
yeah i know that.. but if my breeder who is having a guy going to check his snakes before they come to mine for poor health and to do probing. then i trust my breeder and he wouldnt give me a dodgy snake. and i think my thread had nothing to do with snake health and if it did it would be in that section.. so i think that my thread has no use for anyone to comment further on this im FED up with justifying my actions.
i know what im doing. precautions are always made.

THANKS TO KEV AND ASHBY STEVE FOR THE RIGHT ADVICE ON MY ORIGINAL QUESTION ASKED! AND FOR ANSWERING PROPERLY
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  23:15:31  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by MissSnakeHandler

respect everything you just said. but in my statement i said that i was going to try in january 2013 many breeders have told me if the snakes weight is right and size. you can breed sooner.

so i was simply asking if i could let them meet or would they try and mate before they reach maturity

Lots of breeders on American forums which power feed their snakes I have seen say this, not any British ones as power feeding is more of a bad thing than a good thing. Personally I would not breed until they are the 3ft, 300g and 3 years old, just because they are the right weight and size doesn't mean they will be ready, snakes bread younger often then have a stunted growth and never grow the size they could/should have grown. Personally, I would wait longer but at the end of the day, its your call and your money if anything goes wrong which can happen full stop when breeding. I'd just want to reduce any possibilities of anything going wrong well down.

Do you know the hets of your normal morph corns or any morph your trying to achieve form breeding? Just asking as it seems a bit weird that hes bringing loads round rather than just the one. Unless you know the hets, your just going to end up with normals the majority of the time which kinda makes breeding pointless imo. Just seems like hes going to bring round lots of pretty males to try and woo you with rather than what would be a good match for your girls but I guess it depends what happens tomorrow.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

MissSnakeHandler
Hatchling

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  23:18:37  Show Profile
slash if 3 and half foot and zepplin in just over 3 ft. i wouldnt be introducing them till january next year anyway so no power feeding neccassary :)
i like to do things as natrually as possible
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  23:19:44  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address
Original question;

quote:

quick question...once ive let him settle into his new home.. for at least a week would it be wise to let him meet slash and zepplin? or shall i just wait till mating time?

Answer;

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie

You should quarantine a new snake when you get it so if he is bringing some to your house I would advise not taking them into the same room as your other snakes and either don't let him handle yours or insist that he washes his hands thoroughly before handling.

I have corrected your last statement for you

quote:

THANKS TO DONNIE , KEV AND ASHBY STEVE FOR THE RIGHT ADVICE ON MY ORIGINAL QUESTION ASKED! AND FOR ANSWERING PROPERLY

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

MissSnakeHandler
Hatchling

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  23:20:47  Show Profile
hes bringing all his normals but different variety normals so i can choose i only want normals for my first clutch so thats why im going with a normal . and because im not sure what hets but i know slash is miami and finding out what zepplin is tommoro
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  23:24:46  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address
But is age still an issue, would they be 3 years old? I can't tell with all these posts! I just think if they weren't it would be better to wait until they are 3, that way your not going to get midget and underweight corns for the rest of their lives. My girl was bred at about 2/2 and a half years old, she is now 12 and shes just over 3ft and a half and its a struggle to get her up to 300g and breeding under-age has really stunted her. Some breeder really know theior snakes and can judge and breed a bit before 3 years old and they are fine but I would get expereince in breeding before taking shortcuts. People are not trying to be nasty, they love snakes and are just thinking whats best for your snakes, specially when it seems like you have no prior breeding experience and to them it looks like you are taking a short cut, that's all.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

MissSnakeHandler
Hatchling

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  23:30:04  Show Profile
yeah i understand that . if i had actually tried breeding now then i would be taking a shortcut. i havnt even got a male yet.
i joined this forum to get advice. slash is already 3 and half foot and she is the one that im going to try breeding first but . im going to see how she is in a years time and by then she will be 2 and half and if she 3 and half foot already then by then she will be alot bigger.

im not going to rush things.. i wanted another snake for a long time now.. but im wanting a male so i can see him grow and he can be with me along time before i start breeding. i just wanted to start asking questions now so i know for future.
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  23:45:41  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address
I just want to say how brave you are having someone bring lots of corns for you to choose from. I don't think I would be able to choose just one lol. All that temptation......

Look forward to seeing pics of the new addition.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

MissSnakeHandler
Hatchling

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  00:12:13  Show Profile
lol i know i know!! as soon as i see there cute little faces im going to want them all lol.. i always say i dont pick them they pick me lol!

i will add him to my sig and then ill post pics of him on the photo section for you to see
ive already chosen a name and im going to call him HALEN lol
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  00:36:06  Show Profile
quote:

lol how the hell are they going to affect my snakes? haha what happens then when you take you snake to a local store to have them sexed theres loads of other reptiles in the same room.
slash and zepplin are not going to be anywhere near the other snakes.. and my breeder has been handling snakes for over 25 years so i dont think he would bring them round if he thought they posed a threat.
lol snakes dont pollute air! what do you think happens in the wild when they come into contact with other snakes?

biggest load of **** i have ever heard.

Mod edit: Think we need another cuss word to the naughty list!

firstly snakes dont pollute air, they carry mites and other diseases that can be passed on, is always an issue when so many reps are located in the one small space, another reason for a 12 week quarantine period something i would expect someone who claims not to be an amatuer knows.

Secondly the advice you have been given here is sound advice you either take it or ignore it your choice.

Lastly, this is a family friendly forum make sure you use language accordingly.

edit, forgot to add snakes dont need to get to know each other the meet they mate he bogs off.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  01:19:03  Show Profile

I think that the question regarding letting them meet was answered with the quarentine suggestions . They dont need to meet before hand as ultimately their instincts will take over , and can even before the three year , 300grams and 3 foot rule comes into play . They dont pollute the air , but if you have ever experienced snake mites then you will understand why some people have mentioned about letting someone bring snakes into your home , we picked them up simply by going to a show and they are a nitemare to get rid of , let alone letting someone come round with snakes that u dont know , plus any other nasty diseases they can/could carry . I

I dont think anyone meant to rain on your parade , new snakes are exciting and im guessing you will find it hard to sleep tonite , and we hope you put some nice pics of the new addition up for us all to see , gudluck and congrats

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  07:21:27  Show Profile
quote:
Gmac

dont need to get to know each other the meet they mate he bogs off.

Not too far off humans on a night out then

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

MissSnakeHandler
Hatchling

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  12:17:11  Show Profile
yeah thanks guys.. i was just annoyed that my subhjct completly went off topic.. i know about quarantine periods and dont worry i will have that in place.
ive never experienced mites so thats why i didnt see a real urgency.. but now im aware and thanks you for the advice.

iwill put them together when they are of age and when its right to do so.
i wont take shortcuts and there nothing to worry about..

now going back to the excitement! only a few more hours to go haha... i will post pics straight away.
and again sorry for getting so aggy but look at it from my point of view :) i know the dos and donts, i just thought i would share my excitment with everyone ya know :)
no hard feelings, and thank you everyone who gave me advice :) even tho i did know most of it x

Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  12:22:38  Show Profile
look forward to seeing a pic of your new addition

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  12:22:50  Show Profile
quote:
seriously! lol zepplin was found in my brothers studio she escaped from one on the peoples vivs in that building. ive had her for 8 months , ive had her checked. she is fine lol

You checked with the previous owner? Like, gone to them and asked about her? A 'check over' won't reveal anything in her bloodlines/genes. You know nothing about her breeding and linage, I'm just saying it's a risky idea to breed a corn you know absolutely nothing about genetically. Chances are it WILL be fine, but personally, I'd not risk it.
Go to Top of Page

MissSnakeHandler
Hatchling

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  12:31:59  Show Profile
thats why im thinking not about breeding zepplin, yes i went to the owner and her parents were normal corns. two carolinas.
when i do eventually start breeding it will only be slash. that i breed. but thats not for a while. thanks for the advice but its ok :)

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  14:04:07  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

quote:
seriously! lol zepplin was found in my brothers studio she escaped from one on the peoples vivs in that building. ive had her for 8 months , ive had her checked. she is fine lol

You checked with the previous owner? Like, gone to them and asked about her? A 'check over' won't reveal anything in her bloodlines/genes. You know nothing about her breeding and linage, I'm just saying it's a risky idea to breed a corn you know absolutely nothing about genetically. Chances are it WILL be fine, but personally, I'd not risk it.

I understand where you are coming from Spree but how many people can say they know the history of all the corns that they breed. Most of us only know what the seller has told us and we don't know for sure that is true. All we can do is use the appropriate quaranteen for any new snake, keep an eye out for any possible health indicators and make sure our snake is as healthy as can be before breeding. I don't know the genetics of most of my snakes but that doesn't mean I won't ever breed from them. 2 of them have defects that I don't know if they are genetic, incubation caused or injury caused, so I would never breed from those 2 but aside from having genetic tests done on all my snakes (which I don't even know is possible)I will just have to trust my judgement.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  15:03:53  Show Profile
agree 100% with kdlang.

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  19:47:36  Show Profile
I getcha Kdlang, I just thought it was something that should be considered, which from Misssnakehandlers post, she has, and she has gone to the owner and asked about the parents, and she knows that the parents are okay and sound.

And maybe I've just got close knit pack of breeders in my area, I've been spoilt as I know who bred who and such
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  20:26:51  Show Profile
When you ask a question on a forum it is likely that the replies will cover all bases, going into your profile and seeing your snakes ages, and that they are cohabited (not recommended for a solitary animal) along with a basic question that would automatically be covered with the common practice of quarantine it is likely people will start at the basics and give you as much information they can about what they believe is the right thing to do and explain their reasoning for this. I saw no straying off subject just sound and reasonable advice with good explanations for it.

So yeah its not a good idea to introduce snakes during the quarantine period, best practice suggests keeping them in different rooms and washing/disinfecting your hands between handling one snake and the other, also you always handle the new snake last. They do not require an introduction, snakes in the wild only ever meet to do the deed and spend all of their life on their own as they are solitary beasts. Based on the suggested age of your snakes I would say it will be miss next breeding season and be ready for the 2014 season, the health of your snake is paramount and the risk of egg binding or just injury from the lock is high in young snakes, even big ones.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000